Default Cannibal

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:40:04 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news
snip

Or a luxurious cruise ship where you had all the comforts of home and then
some . . .

I would do that, but I think most of the people who go on those things
are overweight and all they do is eat the entire time. At least there
are some limitations on planes about actually fitting into a seat! I
had a cross-country flight last year (LA to NY) and asked to move. The
guy was grossly fat and hanging into my seat.

Probably there are a lot of obese folks as I hear tell the food is available
almost 24/7.

I think it's getting worse. Honestly, some people should not go to the
beach!

Ewwww, I used to hate that when I flew a lot. End up with a middle seat
sandwiched between two fatties who sort of ooze over into my space. Of
course, their love handles take up both armrests so you sit there all
scrunched into a small space. And, I've noticed that many fat people must
worry about if they stink because both men and women seem to go extra heavy
on the cheap perfume or cologne. I hate that. Gives me a headache. I'd
rather smell BO than cheap perfumes and colognes.

I might have to take a flight in the next couple of months, so thanks
for reminding me!

Nope, I think world voyaging on a small sailboat is for masochists.
Coastal
cruising, on the other hand, is really a nice challenge and physically
enjoyable. You'd love some of the deserted beaches in the Bahamas - miles
of
sand with nary a soul to be seen. There was this one long stretch of beach
really liked on the north end of Great Guana. I'd anchor on the bay side
and
dinghy to shore. Then I'd walk across the island (about a quarter mile
wide)
to the beach on the ocean side. Then I'd run barefoot around the north end
of the island and then on to the bayside where the beach petered out. Then
would swim along the shore back to the boat. All told about a three mile
round trip. Sometimes I didn't see anyone the whole time. Nice!

Seems like all the interesting things happen close to the shoreline,
so why spend weeks in the middle of the ocean? Well, I guess for some
it's fun.

Coastal cruising is where the adventure is. There is always a challenge -
more like driving on the back roads instead of the interstate highways. Just
so much more to see and do and more to have to pay attention to. It's never
boring or at least I've never gotten bored with it. The open ocean voyaging
people go for long periods of routine and that's what they seem to like.

To each his own, but I'd rather be near land. :-)

I guess I'd be a bit worried about leaving the boat and then coming
back and it wasn't there any more. I'm sure you're really good at
anchoring, but... Also, what if someone takes the boat? It might be a
long walk (or swim) home.

People stealing a sailboat is pretty rare as they are so slow and easy to
catch up with. I don't worry about that at all. I do worry about somebody
coming aboard and stealing things when I'm ashore out of sight of the boat.
One time in the Bahamas there was questionable surroundings so as I dinghied
ashore I waved at the boat as if I was waving to somebody on board. Later
on, on shore some native asked if I had crew aboard as he saw me waving.
LOL. Simple insurance!

Oh yeah... duhh.. not like a power boat.

If anchored and going ashore in dubious weather conditions (like the
possibility of thunderstorms and strong gusty winds) I make sure to put down
two anchors and dive them in if the holding is questionable. Usually, I just
wait for decent weather. Even if MY anchors hold there is always the less
skilled sailors whose boats can and do drag all over the place and I don't
want them dragging down on my boat and damaging it.

Two of the front? I guess you could put them away from each other
somehow. Otherwise they'd get all tangled. How deep do you anchor
typically? I guess in the Keys it must be pretty shallow... like 10 to
20 feet? If less than that don't you worry about waves picking up the
boat and letting it land on the bottom.. or is that impossible?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:52:43 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

You'd really have to keep covered up with a long t-shirt or something here
in the Florida sunshine. It can be brutal even if one HAS a good base tan.
Even I avoid the mid-day sun. Just too powerful. You'd only be able to be
bikini babe for maybe an hour or so a day. :-(

There's got to be some shade around somewhere... although the
reflection from the water makes me look like a raccoon with rings
around my face from the sunglasses. :-)

Yup, the reflection off the water is a double-whammy.

You DO wear particularly large sunglasses. I bet you'd look very fetching in
some librarian outfit, with Sarah Palin eyeglasses, your hair up and one
curled strand of hair falling down the side.

The mean librarian look? Heh... I don't usually wear my hair up...
just tied in the back or in a pony if my niece gets ambitious.

snip

So guys who go clubbing to pick up women don't have much luck there or are
you and your girlfriends not the norm in that you go just to socialize -
not
to get laid? But, I suppose it is flattering to have guys hitting on you
even if you aren't "easy."

I guess they have "luck" depending on how much they enjoy STDs. :-) I
can't imagine going home with someone I just met in bar/club.

Sure... it's flattering for about 20 seconds. Then, it's just
annoying. Put it this way... how would you like to be having a really
nice conversation with your best friend about something important to
both of you and some stranger comes up and just starts talking? I
don't drink that much, so even if someone wants to buy me a drink, I
have to go through the whole thing about no, I'm not thirsty, as
evidence, I still have 3/4 of a drink.

I think I get it. It *would* be a bother if it happened all the time. It
might be a novelty once or twice but after a while it would become an
imposition. Like, you have no life other than being on display for horny
guys to pick you up. Just meat. Yuck. I don't do the bar scene. I just can't
stand the smoke. In restaurants here in Florida they have banned smoking but
smoking is still allowed in most bars even if they serve food provided they
make most of their money from sales of liquor.

Right.. like once or twice while we're sitting there is flattering.
five times gets old. (I mean not me so much but my friend)

No smoking out here. Honestly, I don't care if someone wants to cough
up blood when they're 62, but I don't want to.

First date? No way! At least not since college. Too many STDs floating
around... too many psychos. These days, you have to have references
just to get your phone call answered. LOL

That's HARD, Jessica. LOL! But, I think you're on to something. This one
woman I meet on the Internet I got interested in and she, I, so she
invited
me to visit her. But, before she did she ran a paid background check on me
just to make sure I wasn't some psycho creep with a criminal record or
something. In her defense she had two teenage boys to watch out for, too.
It
didn't really work out romantically but we ended up as friends. So, even
though you joke about references, it's probably not a bad idea.

Yeah, with two kids, you have to be extra cautious. Caller ID is
great!

I have friends who've dated people from the web... eharmony. I think
it's hit or miss no matter what you do.

You really do have to meet people, face-to-face, in order to find out if you
are still interested. . . They say the mind is the main sex organ and I
believe it.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:29:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:57:44 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

Yup... it was a strange major/minor combo... Politics/Psychology.. for
what it was worth. But, I got hired by the Los Angeles code dept, then
when something opened up in Santa Monica, I switched. I'm actually
thinking of going back to the LA dept. I know a bunch of people there
and I'd get a raise.

Now aint that interesting......... I happen to have a cousin that
worked for CalTrans for years. Later moved and went to work for the
City of Santa Monica for the last 10+/- years. I think Ill email my
cousin and see just how many Jessy Bs are working for the "code
department."

Bob.

Probably none, but maybe a Willard :-)

Oh ye of little faith!!!

Wilbur Hubbard

They sound like stalkers. Whatever.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:28:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message

Yup... it was a strange major/minor combo... Politics/Psychology.. for
what it was worth. But, I got hired by the Los Angeles code dept, then
when something opened up in Santa Monica, I switched. I'm actually
thinking of going back to the LA dept. I know a bunch of people there
and I'd get a raise.

Now aint that interesting......... I happen to have a cousin that
worked for CalTrans for years. Later moved and went to work for the
City of Santa Monica for the last 10+/- years. I think Ill email my
cousin and see just how many Jessy Bs are working for the "code
department."

Bob.

Jessica B is definitely real. Nobody could make up such a perfect woman.
She's got it all - superior brains, superior ethics, superior morals,
superior philosophy and a hot, fit body. It just doesn't get any better than
that. . .

I have a feeling that they wouldn't know what a real person was if
they got bit by one. Interesting that he didn't mention his cousin's
name...

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:26:16 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:44:24 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:51:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news snip

Small quibbles.... not that young, not that beautiful (ok, damn nice
looking) , extremely captivating (plain? hello?) LOL

And, definitely no self-esteem problems. LOL! I like that about you.

And, not THAT kind of plain, silly!

I almost said WTF? :-)

Nope, definitely NOT plain. (no freakin' way!!!) Hey, you seem
well-spoken
(well-written is perhaps a more apt term). Did you get a college degree?
Engineering perhaps?

Yup... it was a strange major/minor combo... Politics/Psychology.. for
what it was worth. But, I got hired by the Los Angeles code dept, then
when something opened up in Santa Monica, I switched. I'm actually
thinking of going back to the LA dept. I know a bunch of people there
and I'd get a raise.

I bet you hated politics since you're no liberal. How could you stand all
those freaking liberal professors trying to indoctrinate you? Psychology has
always interested me. I like to try to figure out what makes people tick.

Politics was fun because they encouraged debate. As long as you
defended your arguments, your grades didn't suffer. We had a couple of
"conservative" profs, but you're right they were mostly liberal.

As for a raise, heck, your blog says you make a bunch of money. I hope you
are putting all you can into a 401 or deferred compensation for retirement.
At your age you can almost be a millionaire when you retire if you can get
modest interest and keep contributing the max.

Ah, you visited.. cool. I don't make tons... do ok. I'm saving money,
definitely. I have a trust set up for my niece, since I don't plan on
having kids.

Isn't Santa Monica a healthier place to live than LA? What with all the air
pollution in the basin and all? Some things such as a relative clean
environment are way more important than a little more dough.

It is, but I wouldn't have to move. They have several locations.

-- just returned from laying on another coat of paint. Now to let it dry a
bit and pull the masking tape before it gets really stuck on hard.

Do you use the famous blue tape? :-)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:31:44 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:46:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:54:08 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
om...
\

I don't like soul mate much either... I am willing to learn about
sailing, as long as there's no yelling.

That would be strictly up to you. Some girls just lose it entirely when
in
the throws of passion. LOL! Just kidding . . .

Not to worry, I don't yell at people. I don't even like to raise my
voice.

I could imagine throws of passion while sailing!

You could? OMG! Errr . . . never mind.

I was thinking in the Zen mode silly man.

Dangit! Well, you can't blame a guy for dreaming, can you? :-)

Dream on! lol

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:40:45 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Hey, I'm a light-weight! One beer every two hours (max two) is about
all I can take!

Well, I suppose you don't weigh very much at 5'5" and in great shape so
your
blood/alcohol level probably rises way faster than mine at 170 pounds.
Your
metabolism is probably running faster than mine, as well. I generally
start
getting a bit buzzed after about four beers.

No and I'm not saying either. With four beers I would be in a coma.

I bet I could still talk to you then. After all, I manage to talk here to
Bruce, Skippy, WaIIy, Joe etc. LOL!

Ouch..

I have to give at least six months notice if I take a vacation. :-(

Wow, your services must be greatly in demand.

We don't have a lot of staff. Someone was sick today, and we had a
backlog. That's why I got home so late.

Do you get time and a half for overtime or comp days, at least?

Right. No extra pay. If I work 8 or more extra hours in a week, then I
get a 1/2 day comp. BIG F*CKING DEAL.

Real generous of them to trade you four hours for eight. What a rip-off!

At least when I worked for the state we got eight hours comp for 8 hours
overtime or time and a half pay for eight hours overtime (double time for
holidays). I always thought it was pretty dumb to take the comp day because
it amounted to half again less pay. Duh!

I try not to work extra because of it.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:44:59 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:05:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news snip

Oh JESUS!! I don't think I could take snakes falling from the sky.
lol

Oops! I guess I shouldn't have told you that . ..

I GUESS NOT!!!!

You're so cute!

Yes, yes... :-)

And modest! snicker

Honest. :-)

Tell that to Bruce, Waldo and WaIIy. They don't seem to think you are even
real. ;-)

They're right! I'm totally unreal! lol

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:47:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:10:02 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

Yeah, it's a pseudo gang thing... no idea what it means. Probably get
shot by some Mexican gang, since the translation is something rude
about someone's mother. LOL

That figures! Three bikini partners in crime.

We look out for ourselves... :-)

Wow... 7! I just have 2 siblings. My mom couldn't have more after me
for health reasons.

For little hellion reasons. LOL!

She wanted more kids, but had some physical problems.. I always wanted
a little sister.

Then YOU wouldn't have been the *spoiled* one. I only had one sister and
she
was so spoiled. But, I guess she had to be to survive six mean brothers.
LOL!

My parents tried to spoil me, but my brother (closest in age) wasn't
having any. He stole everything extra until I was about 10, then I got
fed up and hit him in the side with his baseball bat... bruised a rib.

Little hellion was an apt term for a young you, it seems. I hope you've
grown out of it at least a little bit.

Yeah a little bit.. :-)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:55:23 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:13:47 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snipped a bunch

Ok. You definitely need to STOP telling me about all this stuff!! I am
NOT interested in burning up, drowning, getting eaten by sharks,
getting stung by yellow jackets, etc., etc....

Timid little soul! Where's your yearning for a little excitement? ;-)

Alive and well and totally uninterested in being anywhere near a
disaster. :-)

And you're afraid of snakes falling from the sky? LOL!

Seems tame by comparison! :-)'

Yup, it's all a matter of perspective.

So, do you travel much? Do you have family in your area or do you go
somewhere for holidays? Do you ever get out this way? We only have a
few earthquakes a year that you can actually feel...

I don't travel much anymore except in my boat. I've never been to California
except when I worked for Suzuki. They had offices in Brea but that has been
25 years or so ago, now. As close as I got on vacation was Utah, Nevada,
Arizona - took a long motorcycle ride, camped out, etc. I even saw that big
Meteor Crater and Carlsbad Caverns.

Earthquakes, I don't think would bother me unless buildings started to
tumble down or some such. Tsunamis could be a problem though. I'd rather
live in hurricane country - at least you get plenty of warning.

Brothers and sister are scattered all across the country and I don't visit
them much or at all any more. Parents are deceased. Too bad California is so
hard to get to by boat. I don't have any desire to try to do the Panama
Canal route. And Cape Horn is way too far and dangerous.

Brea? That's not far from here... We're expecting the big one any day.
I don't know if things will fall down or not. I suppose. Oh well...
Carpe Diem I guess. Don't know about tsunamis... There must be some
warning I suppose for that.

I'd love to visit the Canal. It's supposed to be one of the wonders of
the world.