Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:40:04 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news
snip

Or a luxurious cruise ship where you had all the comforts of home and then
some . . .

I would do that, but I think most of the people who go on those things
are overweight and all they do is eat the entire time. At least there
are some limitations on planes about actually fitting into a seat! I
had a cross-country flight last year (LA to NY) and asked to move. The
guy was grossly fat and hanging into my seat.

Probably there are a lot of obese folks as I hear tell the food is available
almost 24/7.

I think it's getting worse. Honestly, some people should not go to the
beach!

Ewwww, I used to hate that when I flew a lot. End up with a middle seat
sandwiched between two fatties who sort of ooze over into my space. Of
course, their love handles take up both armrests so you sit there all
scrunched into a small space. And, I've noticed that many fat people must
worry about if they stink because both men and women seem to go extra heavy
on the cheap perfume or cologne. I hate that. Gives me a headache. I'd
rather smell BO than cheap perfumes and colognes.

I might have to take a flight in the next couple of months, so thanks
for reminding me!

Nope, I think world voyaging on a small sailboat is for masochists.
Coastal
cruising, on the other hand, is really a nice challenge and physically
enjoyable. You'd love some of the deserted beaches in the Bahamas - miles
of
sand with nary a soul to be seen. There was this one long stretch of beach
really liked on the north end of Great Guana. I'd anchor on the bay side
and
dinghy to shore. Then I'd walk across the island (about a quarter mile
wide)
to the beach on the ocean side. Then I'd run barefoot around the north end
of the island and then on to the bayside where the beach petered out. Then
would swim along the shore back to the boat. All told about a three mile
round trip. Sometimes I didn't see anyone the whole time. Nice!

Seems like all the interesting things happen close to the shoreline,
so why spend weeks in the middle of the ocean? Well, I guess for some
it's fun.

Coastal cruising is where the adventure is. There is always a challenge -
more like driving on the back roads instead of the interstate highways. Just
so much more to see and do and more to have to pay attention to. It's never
boring or at least I've never gotten bored with it. The open ocean voyaging
people go for long periods of routine and that's what they seem to like.

To each his own, but I'd rather be near land. :-)

I guess I'd be a bit worried about leaving the boat and then coming
back and it wasn't there any more. I'm sure you're really good at
anchoring, but... Also, what if someone takes the boat? It might be a
long walk (or swim) home.

People stealing a sailboat is pretty rare as they are so slow and easy to
catch up with. I don't worry about that at all. I do worry about somebody
coming aboard and stealing things when I'm ashore out of sight of the boat.
One time in the Bahamas there was questionable surroundings so as I dinghied
ashore I waved at the boat as if I was waving to somebody on board. Later
on, on shore some native asked if I had crew aboard as he saw me waving.
LOL. Simple insurance!

Oh yeah... duhh.. not like a power boat.

If anchored and going ashore in dubious weather conditions (like the
possibility of thunderstorms and strong gusty winds) I make sure to put down
two anchors and dive them in if the holding is questionable. Usually, I just
wait for decent weather. Even if MY anchors hold there is always the less
skilled sailors whose boats can and do drag all over the place and I don't
want them dragging down on my boat and damaging it.

Two of the front? I guess you could put them away from each other
somehow. Otherwise they'd get all tangled. How deep do you anchor
typically? I guess in the Keys it must be pretty shallow... like 10 to
20 feet? If less than that don't you worry about waves picking up the
boat and letting it land on the bottom.. or is that impossible?