Default Cannibal

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:55:12 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:05:56 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

The mean librarian look? Heh... I don't usually wear my hair up...
just tied in the back or in a pony if my niece gets ambitious.

Yes, that stern, professionally-dressed librarian wearing big eyeglasses
with the promise of wild passion hidden beneath is every man's fantasy.
LOL!
Ever do French braids - that's hot!

Hmmm... I think this says something Freudian, but I don't know what.
lol

Yes, it could have something to do with control issues. It is often said
that men like to take a vacation from their usual role of being in control
of things in their everyday life, jobs, etc.

I will have to keep this in mind!

Never had that kind of braid... I tend to keep my hair flowing unless
I have to work on something then I put it up.

I guess French braids are a good way to put it up but I think they take time
to do right and maybe somebody has to do them for you to get them nice and
even.

Since you seem able to "do things right" you might be good at it. :-D

snip

Right.. like once or twice while we're sitting there is flattering.
five times gets old. (I mean not me so much but my friend)

No smoking out here. Honestly, I don't care if someone wants to cough
up blood when they're 62, but I don't want to.

I don't blame you. That's one reason I hate motor boaters so much. How
dare
they pollute the very air I breath when here I am living way out of the
way
and one of the reasons for doing so is I can breathe clean air.

All that engine smell... blech..

That's ONE thing California did right - cracked down on the air
pollution -
especially indoor by banning smoking almost everywhere. I'm glad they
didn't
manage to legalize pot. That would be just another source of air
pollution.

You would not believe how many cannabis clubs there are in the greater
LA area.

I'm surprised. I thought it was only legal there for medical purposes. Maybe
lots of 'sick' people. LOL!

Yeah, a lot of mental cases..

I tried pot in my college days but it dawned on me that if cigarettes give
you cancer then smoking pot probably does, too. So I stopped doing it. If
they could put it in a drink like Root Beer aka Canabis Beer (non alcoholic)
then I might be tempted to do it again.

I'm not interested in putting smoke in my lungs. Just seems dumb.

Speaking of air pollution, I rode up to Miami yesterday with a friend who
was picking up his bike from the shop where he was getting a new fork
installed (the old one cracked and needed to be replaced) and the air was
noticably smelly. This was right before the cold front passed and the air
was relatively still and humid. We Americans have a term for the smelly
Miami air - Cuban monoxide. LOL!

I bet you have a lots and lots of Cubans... I'll raise you two
Mexicans.

Yikes! I guess we all have illegal alien problems these days. Freaking
federal government can't seem to do what they're supposed to do - enforce
the borders - but they can sure meddle in everything else. Thank God federal
judge Vinson here in the Florida circuit has struck down Obama Care. He has
ruled the entire Act unconstitutional. 26 states were plaintiffs.

I don't understand why we can't build a decent border security
system.. all they seem to do is waste money trying.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:57:42 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:08:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

They probably wouldn't know what to do with or how to treat a real, live,
beautiful woman. LOL! This sounds corny but a man's got to appreciate a
woman's mind first and foremost and the more intelligent the woman, the
more
necessary this becomes.

In my case (and Jimbo's) you don't get anything else unless you get
the mind first. Stace is a less strict. You never know who's going to
be leaving in the morning (we were roommates in college).

Can't fault any of that.

Well,, she's not a slut or anything... I don't mean to bad-mouth her.
She's a wonderful person... just sometimes she makes questionable
choices. I guess we all do.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:06:46 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:30:12 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Jessica, you're just so delicious! You seem to instinctively know that men
really enjoy living a little dangerously when it comes to their women.
What
an expert flirt you are. ;-)

Carry on . . . Please!

Hehh... actually, I don't generally flirt.. at least not on my own.
Maybe in a group, but then I don't have to worry about it going too
far. Also, my eye lashes aren't long enough.

Well then, stick some fake eyelashes on and bat the heck out of them. :-)

Flirting is a strange thing. When two people interact, it all depends on how
the interaction appears to one or the other. Flirting can be very
unintentional on one person's behalf but the other might feel very flirted
with. I guess what I'm saying is flirting is sometimes more in the eye of
the beholder.

I just want to know who the fricken woman was who was on your boat!!!
lol

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:20:23 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

We as a country certainly can be better but I can't think of a place
I'd rather live. I don't get some of the extreme criticism that
happens from those on the left. Seems to me they have a pretty good
deal.

Exactly! It's like all the people complaining about how poor they are. But,
look at them! They have so much to eat that they are obese, they have a car
or two, air conditioning, dishwasher, color TVs with cable, computers with
Internet, hot and cold running water, etc. etc. They need to shut their yaps
and enjoy all the luxuries they can't seem to even notice because they are
complaining all the time.

Also, I know there are poor people, but there is also lots of
opportunity. I don't mind helping people in the short term, but when
it becomes an institution, then I have to draw the line.

I guess (to make this sailing related Justin) it would be like
offering someone help who got stuck on a sand bar. Well, ok, but don't
expect me to help you for the next five years. At some point you need
to figure out how to get off the sand bar yourself (or stay off).

So, on to more pleasant (and ON-TOPIC JUSTIN... sheesh) subjects...
You're in the Keys, so do you typically sail on the west or east side
of Florida? Also, I think there's a national park near the Keys... not
the Everglades... a place that you have to get to by boat? It's
supposed to have an old fort.

It's more convenient for me to sail on the Florida Bay side of the Keys as
getting to the oceanside involves going out a creek that is about two miles
long and going under a bridge that opens on a schedule. Or, sailing to the
Channel Five bridge which is high enough to get under. They have made all
the water around the Keys into a National Marine sanctuary. The national
park is either the Everglades National Park (up and around the mainland) or
the Fort Jefferson National Monument. Fort Jefferson is in the Marqueses
about fifty or sixty miles west of Key West. No roads and bridges to it
though the water is mostly not very deep. I think one might be able to take
a seaplane ride out to it but it's mainly accessible by boat only.

I have no idea where the Florida Bay is... is that on the west side?
I'm guessing, but it seems like there's ocean all around.

Oh... Fort Jefferson... I looked it up and it looks like it's the same
as the Dry Tortugas, which is what I was thinking of...

http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

That looks beautiful! Can your boat go there?

Also, did you get my email? I think I asked you that somewhere
previously.

Affirmative! Thanks.

Jessica B wrote:

Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Default How to anchor under sail Bahamian style (was: Cannibal)

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

Jessica, this is a repeat in case you didn't see the one from 'Gregory
Hall'.

Ok, well, I can get pasty. :}

But probably not *as pasty* as those Canadians who live where it's so cold
that their skin never sees any sun for months at a time. At least you go to
the beach from time to time so you might have some evidence of tan lines??

I might have to take a flight in the next couple of months, so thanks
for reminding me!

You're welcome. ;-) Perhaps you'll think of me when you're all crammed in
there . . .

Next to obese people? Nah... I'll be thinking of someone in better
shape than that!

Ouch! That means you think I'm in bad shape? Who's your favorite male
celebrity - better shape-wise?

snip

Two (anchors) of(f) the front? I guess you could put them away from each
other somehow. Otherwise they'd get all tangled. How deep do you anchor
typically? I guess in the Keys it must be pretty shallow... like 10 to
20 feet? If less than that don't you worry about waves picking up the
boat and letting it land on the bottom.. or is that impossible?

You've sure got a good head on your shoulders, girl. Yes, two anchors off
the bow as in "Bahamian Style" which is anchors placed about 60 degrees
apart as described by the angle of the anchor rodes. In a tidal current
they
are places slightly up current and slight down current so when the tide
and
current changes the boat still lies between both with relatively equal
pulls. In a wind only situation one places the anchors more like 90-120
degrees apart and this holds the bow directly into the wind and it doesn't
sheer around.

So, that's what they do in the Bahamas? I've never been, but it's
pretty close to you? How do you get the second anchor in the right
place? You can't put them in at the same time, so you must have to get
the boat to the second spot. It must be tough to judge where it is in
relation to the first one, since it's on the bottom.

It takes a little practice but it's not overly difficult. Many places in the
Bahamas develop some pretty strong tidal currents and it changes directions
twice a day so, yes, if you want to stay put you really need two anchors set
out across the current and well dug in.

The Bahamas are pretty close by - probably about the same distance offshore
as Santa Catalina Island out there but there are hundreds of little and
larger islands out there. One can sail for months and not come close to
visiting them all. Most are not even inhabited. It's a wonderful cruising
ground.

Placing the anchors can be made into a comedy of errors using the
'committee' approach and/or using the motor and yacht tender (dinghy) or it
can be done correctly and simply like I do it when single-handing. So called
sailors like Bruce, for example, probably never set two anchors,
Bahamian-style, under sail but I can and do set them that way all the time
and it is a no fuss - no muss operation when done in a seamanlike fashion.

Here is how a real sailor does it.

1) Sail into the anchorage and proceed upwind close hauled on a port tack to
the place a fifty feet or so to the right of where you wish the boat to end
up. I like about ten feet of depth in clear water so the bottom can be
easily seen.

2) Pinch into the wind and coast to a halt with sails luffing.

3) Go forward, release the jib halyard at the mast cleat and quickly roll
and stow the sail along the starboard lifelines out of the way. Release and
drop the anchor that is ready on the starboard bow roller and quickly pay
out about 100 feet of anchor rode (easy to know provided the rode is marked)
as the boat slowly gathers sternway. Make the line fast to a cleat.

4) Proceed back to the cockpit, unsheet the mainsail from its close-hauled
position and put the tiller over to port which will cause the bow to fall
off to port due to the sternway.

5) Sheet the mainsail to a reaching position on a starboard tack and the
boat will soon stop its sternway and commence moving forward away from the
dropped anchor which will appear by the direction of the rode to be off the
starboard beam. This all should be accomplished prior to the anchor rode
snubbing up on the dropped anchor or the bow will come into the wind again
and the mainsail will be ineffective. 50-60 feet of 'spare' rode length
would be about right.

6) As the boat gathers headway, sheet in the mainsail so the sail attacks
the shifting wind at the proper angle of attack until it becomes close
hauled again (but on a port tack this time as the bow slowly rounds up.

7) As the 100 or so feet of the anchor rode off to starboard starts to
tighten up it will be dragged over to about a 60-90 degree angle from the
anchor (180 degrees being directly downwind). When the boats gets as far
upwind as she will go and the starboard anchor pulls the bow directly into
the wind then go forward and drop the anchor that is ready on the port bow
roller.

8) Once the anchor strikes bottom, pay out some line and jerk the rode a few
times to set the anchor in the bottom as the boat falls back between the two
anchors and then pay out about fifty feet of rode and make it fast on a
cleat. Then uncleat the starboard anchor rode and slowly retrieve about
fifty feet of rode and make it fast to a cleat. The boat will then be lying
between the two anchors with the angle described by the anchors of about
90-120 degrees. If one or more of the anchors don't hold the angle will
decrease. If they hold the angle will remain constant.

9) On your way back to the cockpit stop at the mast and release the main
halyard and let the mainsail fall and strap it to the boom.

10) Look around and note some readily apparent ranges (objects you can line
up one behind the other) ashore so you can reference them later to make sure
you're not dragging.

11) Go below, grab a cold beer, sit in the cockpit and enjoy but check the
ranges over several minutes. If the ranges don't change then you can assume
the anchors are both holding. If you really want to feel secure, grab the
mask, snorkel and fins and dive the anchors and make sure they are well dug
in so you can sleep soundly that night.

This scenario is for non-current, wind only situations. It must be modified
somewhat or quite a bit depending on the direction and strength of tidal
currents, if any.

I generally prefer to anchor in relatively shallow water - around six feet
at mean low water. Yes, the Keys have very shallow water in many places.
As
for waves picking up the boat and slamming it on the bottom that's not
likely to happen in wind-generated wave action, at least. See, it's the
depth of the water that determines the height of the wave and the depth of
the wave trough in shallow water. In six-foot deep water the largest
wind-generated wave possible would be about three feet. So, that would
still
give a three-foot cushion for a 3-foot draught boot in one fathom of
depth -
one fathom being six feet.

Ok... I get it I think, and if it's really, really bad weather, you
could put the boat somewhere where it's more protected...

Right. They call them 'hurricane holes'. They are generally smaller places
with high sides and good holding.

Tech away! I get jargon thrown at me all the time from contractors...
I was riding with a gf of mine and she tells me she hears a noise from
under the car, so I said I know what that is.. Really??? Well, yeah,
it's the band clatter of either the drive shaft or the transmission...
now if it's the drive shaft then it's not too serious, but if it's the
transmission, well you might be able to get someone to adjust it but
it probably needs to get replaced. She was amazed and then angry when
I told her I made it all up.

See how devilish you are, Jessica? You made it all up. That's funny! Can
you say, "instigator?" LOL!

As for teching away, I probably teched away plenty enough above. LOL! It
wouldn't surprise me if even the likes of Bruce, Waldo, WaIIy, Wayne,
JustinC, etc. are scratching their addled pates and scrambling for the
sailing reference guides.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
trimmed a lot
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

At least he's not dumb enough to still think you're my sock puppet.

Yes, you don't necessarily know what's on the bottom when you go someplace
but you can refer to the charts of the area and they will tell you what's on
the bottom so you have a good idea beforehand what's the most suitable
anchor type to use for a given anchorage.

A real cruising sailor will ship multiple anchors so he is ready for any and
all conditions of wind, sea and bottom. I carry about seven anchors all told
but only have three ready to go at all times. The others are stowed low in
the bilges. The others are storm anchors and spare anchors to be used in
severe conditions.

Ready on the bow I have a Danforth Deepset, a CQR plow and a Herreschoff
fisherman (this is the only one that looks like a traditional anchor to a
lubber). Sized for the boat, the anchors aren't prohibitively heavy. All
told, I have about 80 pounds on the bow from anchors/chain/line. With that
I'm ready for just about any bottom type.

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:

Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Weight counts but weight isn't the be-all/end-all.

A lighter patent anchor that digs in and buries itself can hold better than
a heavy 'navy type' anchor that does not, for example.

And, too much weight on the bow can be detrimental to the pitching moment of
a small sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:55:12 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:05:56 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
m...
snip

The mean librarian look? Heh... I don't usually wear my hair up...
just tied in the back or in a pony if my niece gets ambitious.

Yes, that stern, professionally-dressed librarian wearing big eyeglasses
with the promise of wild passion hidden beneath is every man's fantasy.
LOL!
Ever do French braids - that's hot!

Hmmm... I think this says something Freudian, but I don't know what.
lol

Yes, it could have something to do with control issues. It is often said
that men like to take a vacation from their usual role of being in control
of things in their everyday life, jobs, etc.

I will have to keep this in mind!

YUMMY!

Never had that kind of braid... I tend to keep my hair flowing unless
I have to work on something then I put it up.

I guess French braids are a good way to put it up but I think they take
time
to do right and maybe somebody has to do them for you to get them nice and
even.

Since you seem able to "do things right" you might be good at it. :-D

Only if I could practice on a phat girl like you. :-)

snip

I'm not interested in putting smoke in my lungs. Just seems dumb.

Good girl!

I don't understand why we can't build a decent border security
system.. all they seem to do is waste money trying.

It can be done. The fact of the matter is the federal government just
doesn't want to do it. Too many freaking liberals who think illegal aliens
are 'entitled' to live here. This liberal 'entitlement' mentality is going
to be the end of all of us, I'm afraid.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

In my case (and Jimbo's) you don't get anything else unless you get
the mind first. Stace is a less strict. You never know who's going to
be leaving in the morning (we were roommates in college).

Can't fault any of that.

Well,, she's not a slut or anything... I don't mean to bad-mouth her.
She's a wonderful person... just sometimes she makes questionable
choices. I guess we all do.

That's true. And, it's the chooser who reaps the rewards or suffers the
adversity for their choice so I figure it's their own business to have
whatever promiscuity standards they're comfortable with. To each his/her own
when it comes to sexual mores in singles.

Married? Then that's a horse of a different color . . .