Default Cannibal

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Look what I miss while I'm in the woods...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Things I don't like a

3) no mast steps (it shouldn't take a committee to ascent to the
masthead)

Wilbur Hubbard

I thought you were one of the ones complaining about how nasty mast steps
were for tangling lines...

L8R

Skip, still looking for that one Pace-Edwards mast step

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half
so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about
in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do,
and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

I'm against the kind that you were planning to install. They snag halyards.
The kind I have installed are the folding type that can't snag a line if
they tried. No REAL sailor adds anything to his boat that will cause more
trouble than it's worth. That's why I tried to talk you out of your folly
but you wouldn't listen because you have a stubborn streak.

You can just barely see my folding mast steps. They are that unobtrusive.

http://captainneal.wordpress.com/

this particular photo shows them the most:

http://captainneal.files.wordpress.c...dsc00294ps.jpg

Please don't be envious of how my boat shines and Flying Pig is sort of all
dull and chalky looking.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:41:28 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

It's been howling - it's a real workout training on the bike. The bridges
are especially rough. The sides of the bridges tend to funnel the wind
straint down the bridge. It's like trying to go upwind (and up hill) in a
wind tunnel that's blowing in your face around 30-35 mph. It'll grow hair
on
your chest. LOL!

Not on my chest!! lol

Waldo seems to think you need to have 'something' there. LOL!

Go for it. Maybe the gas can guy has a hot tub and he sure has some wine.
Everybody in California is a wino, it seems. They don't seem to care a
whole
lot for beer like us real men. ;-)

There's a common hot tub in the building where I live, but I have
friends who have them... Hey, I like a beer now and then. I don't like
all the foam though. Also, red wine is supposed to be good for you.
lol

Ewwww. I would never do a common hot tub anywhere. I've heard of women
actually getting pregant from sitting in one of those things. I certainly
would not trust the sanitation methods. If a not so tough spermatozoa can
survive I'd guess things like the herpes virus and the human papaloma virus
would absolutely thrive.

Red wine is good because of the anti-oxidants. But, beer has good stuff in
it as well. Hey, if you don't like foamy beer than stop shaking it or chill
it some more. LOL

snip

I never run out of wind, people don't call old Wilbur a blowhard for
nothing. LOL!

I think they just can't stand the heat!

They lack the mental lacunea to do so.

I'm going to send you an email... got a couple of questions... I'll do
that when I get back from the gym.

Promises, promises! :-(

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:21:25 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Willie-boy, I keep telling you and telling you, keep your mouth shut.
You just keep talking and talking and proving over and over how little
you know.

If you haul up a sail the halyard is tight, or in the case of many
boats nearly entirely inside the mast. In these cases it does not
tangle in the mast steps, no matter what kind they are.

It is only at anchor when the sails are down and the halyards dangling
there beside the mast that they get all snarled up in the steps.

What an ego. You just have to insist on talking and showing the world
how uninformed you are.

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Wrong, Dumbo! You show what type of sailor YOU are with the above
dunderheadedness. (Can you say 'fair weather sailor') It just so happens
some us sail in gale or near gale conditions. Under those conditions
external halyards are slapping all over the freaking place when sails are
raised. It becomes even more of a whipfest when lowering the sails and you
know, Bruce, what goes up must come down. Duh! Everybody with those pile of
junk triangular mast loops will end up with a halyard tangled in them when
dousing sail. And, they will be stuck at the worst time with flogging,
flailing, out of control sails when they least want or need it. This will
require a trip up the mast CAUSED BY THE VERY STEPS that are supposed to
make it less likely that one will need to ascend the mast under emergency
conditions. Dumb, stupid, lame and bordering on the pathetic, I say.

It is only at anchor when the sails are down and the halyards dangling
there beside the mast that they get all snarled up in the steps.

Wrong. See above. And, you probably have a lubberly roll-up headsail system
so you KNOW NOTHING about nor are you even able to remove a too-large
headsail and bend on a storm jib, for example when the wind has gotten up.
So the jib halyard snarls up around a bunch of ill-conceived mast steps and
you can neither get the too large sail down nor bend on the just right sail.
I can see now why you failed in your circumnavigation, Bruce.

What an ego. You just have to insist on talking and showing the world
how uninformed you are.

The world is perceptive enough to realize it's the other way around, Bruce.

Wilbur Hubbard

Hi, again :{))

[...]

Speaking of pathetic...

I have well over 100# of mainsail. It's heavy enough that even jumping I
can't pull up the last foot or so; I winch it before cleating off, rather
than just tensioning the halyard. I CONTROL the line as I flake the sail.
That means I let it slip through my (bare) hand while I have my hand on the
sail to control how it falls. There is NO slack in the halyard, let alone
enough to go around a step.

And, you've not been paying attention, either. I only want _1_ more, so I
can stand at the top of the mast. If the conditions were so severe as to
cause my otherwise-taut (I keep it taut when I've lowered the sail, and the
weight of the sail keeps it reasonably taut as I'm lowering it) halyard to
managed to navigate a 5" (not counting the half-depth mast) step to foul on
it, at (you work out the math; the step will be about 2.5' down from the
pulley exit, which is about 1" off center, and the mast has an 8" cross
section) a reasonably broad angle. Carry that angle down even half
(considering the possibility of "catenary" due to the wind, which would have
to be abeam [thus providing a gravity equivalent so that the theory is
similar when turned 90*], unlikely when stowing sails), and it is probably
close to the shroud. Ain't gonna happen :{))

So, I conclude that the massive sail on that yacht of yours is more than you
can handle by controlling the halyard, and so you use folding steps that
only a child's shod foot can fit within (never mind the lack of a means of
not sliding off the side if you got the least bit of lift causing that
pitiful little edge on the plate they give you for safety to be meangless).

Maybe Jessica would come sail with you and handle that chore for you, and
you'd have this lovely, flaked, sail without burgeoning your tender little
hands....

L8R

Skip, down from the top of the mast today, stopping in the middle just for
fun (to measure how far that halyard would have to fly to get around my
step, of course!)

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Hi, again :{))

[...]

OK Skippy, you asked for it. But, unfortunately, I don't have the time to
deal with you properly right now. I've got to log off but you're NOT off the
hook. Tomorrow I will post a scathing rebuke and expose your false or poorly
thought out statements.

A toute a l'heure.

Wilbur Hubbard

http://captainneal.wordpress.com/

Please don't be envious of how my boat shines and Flying Pig is sort of all
dull and chalky looking.

Wilbur Hubbard

I see you took off that fancy rig for lifting/storing the dinghy. I see
you also got another new engine (well, at least there's a white one in this,
and the others I see are black).

And made a LOT of topsides improvements since seen in the yard when you were
doing some other work (apparently redoing the stripe at the top and other
trim items which hadn't been done in your original yard shots).

The paint job, and all the improvements, especially cosmetic ones, make her
look just like she must have 20 or 30 years ago! Taking off the name was a
good idea, too...

Come to think of it, it looks so good that it could be used in a brochure!

L8R

Skip, who's thinking of a topsides repaint, himself

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:06:20 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I doubt it... there is so much chlorine... lots of regulations out
here for that. I don't use it because of that and you can't have any
alcohol and there's a curfew. Too many rules.

Red wine is good because of the anti-oxidants. But, beer has good stuff in
it as well. Hey, if you don't like foamy beer than stop shaking it or chill
it some more. LOL

LOL... I should be the servant for my brother, since he's got a nasty
habit of shaking it up before he hands it to me.

snip

I never run out of wind, people don't call old Wilbur a blowhard for
nothing. LOL!

I think they just can't stand the heat!

They lack the mental lacunea to do so.

I'm going to send you an email... got a couple of questions... I'll do
that when I get back from the gym.

Promises, promises! :-(

Didn't you get it?? I haven't seen a reply...

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:51:08 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Willie, lets be honest. You don't sail in a gale, or near gale,
conditions. You don't sail at all, excepting your recent bay safari,
so your knowledge of gale conditions is limited to whatever book you
are reading this week.

So the external halyards are slapping all over the place. Which
halyards are those, pray tell? You can't have modified your boat to
run the halyards external to the mast have you? On the other hand, you
may well have, knowing you.

But, internal or external what halyards are you referring to? You've
got your mainsail halyard that is hooked to either your reefed main or
a storm trysail and you've got your jib halyard hooked to your jib,
whatever kind you have bent on. Both halyards have tension on them and
a tight halyard doesn't flail around.

I can tell that you have been reading books again with your stories of
flogging sails and flailing lines....

But what is that is going to require your emergency trip up the mast
in the teeth of a howling gale?

I know that those sailing books are exciting, especially to the
neophyte, but put the books aside and actually take a trip on the
boat. Even down the bay and back. Maybe you'll learn something.....
maybe.

It is only at anchor when the sails are down and the halyards dangling
there beside the mast that they get all snarled up in the steps.

Wrong. See above. And, you probably have a lubberly roll-up headsail system
so you KNOW NOTHING about nor are you even able to remove a too-large
headsail and bend on a storm jib, for example when the wind has gotten up.
So the jib halyard snarls up around a bunch of ill-conceived mast steps and
you can neither get the too large sail down nor bend on the just right sail.
I can see now why you failed in your circumnavigation, Bruce.

Willie-boy there you go again. Remove a too large headsail.... and I
thought you were a sailor.what in the world are you doing with this
monster headsail up in a storm?

Certainly a squall might blow in, but even then, if you are keeping a
proper look-out you'll see it in time to get your sails sorted. But a
proper gale or near gale doesn't spring upon you out of a clear blue
sky, It takes days to develop and will certainly be reported on all
weather channels. You have no excuse, in these days, to be caught out
in a gale with the wrong sails.

Well, actually it is obvious that you haven't with your story about
halyards snarling up on the mast steps.... I keep telling you....

When changing a head sail the halyard is attached to the peak of the
jib, which in turn is shackled to the jib stay, or head stay.
Depending on the type of boat the distance varies but in any event it
is approximately half the boat length forward of the mast. Not a
chance in hell of tangling with the mast. The other end is neatly run
over the masthead sheave and down the inside of the mast where it
can't get snarled, out the base and aft to your cockpit, or neatly
cleated off at the mast foot.

Nothing there to get snarled and require climbing the mast.

You must learn that these book writers want to keep your interest so
they tell these resounding tales of daring do.... and you fall for it
every time.

By the way, talking about gales and storms and such. Take a look at
Lynn Pardy's tales about how they weathering two hurricanes in their
little boat. In both storms they stayed below, in their bunks. No
snarled halyards, no tangled sails.

But of course, the Pardy's ARE sailors.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:06:20 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Ewwww. I would never do a common hot tub anywhere. I've heard of women
actually getting pregant from sitting in one of those things. I certainly
would not trust the sanitation methods. If a not so tough spermatozoa can
survive I'd guess things like the herpes virus and the human papaloma
virus
would absolutely thrive.

I doubt it... there is so much chlorine... lots of regulations out
here for that. I don't use it because of that and you can't have any
alcohol and there's a curfew. Too many rules.

You'd think that but it's not necessarily so. Didn't you hear the stories a
couple years ago where some of the VA hospitals were spreading HIV/AIDS and
Hepatitus C because they weren't sterilizing colonoscopy equipment properly?
And, that's a hospital. Who is responsible for health threats in a public
hot tub? Some janitor? Think about it.

Red wine is good because of the anti-oxidants. But, beer has good stuff in
it as well. Hey, if you don't like foamy beer than stop shaking it or
chill
it some more. LOL

LOL... I should be the servant for my brother, since he's got a nasty
habit of shaking it up before he hands it to me.

That guy's a real hoot! Well, at least he probably taught you caution.

I'm going to send you an email... got a couple of questions... I'll do
that when I get back from the gym.

Promises, promises! :-(

Didn't you get it?? I haven't seen a reply...

Never saw hide nor hair of it, Jessica. I even went back and checked the
junk mail in case it got put in there somehow and I checked the deleted mail
folder in case it got in there by mistake and there's no sign of a recent
e-mail from you at all. The last one I got was dated March 2nd and I
answered that one.