Default Cannibal

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:01:24 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:14:47 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:51:23 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...
Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.
Weight counts but weight isn't the be-all/end-all.

A lighter patent anchor that digs in and buries itself can hold better than
a heavy 'navy type' anchor that does not, for example.

And, too much weight on the bow can be detrimental to the pitching moment of
a small sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

Among my collection of anchors are two Danforth types.
One is steel and heavy. The other is aluminum and very light.
Both are the same size.

What little use I've given them still shows that the heavy anchor
holds better.
Isn't that sort of obvious? Then why would you carry the lighter one?
Lunch hook.

It's a lot easier to raise (hey, it's lighter!)
My foredeck is strictly female territory.

And handy for a 2 point snag.
It (the aluminum hook) hangs on a bracket on the stern rail where I can
drop it quickly if the need should arise.

But the steel anchor is my "best bower".

Do you keep the stern anchor rode permanently shackled on? Or, as I
used to, store it away in a locker.... somewhere?
Cheers,

Bruce

Usually in a bucket in the cockpit locker.

Which brings me to a point shackles.

The traditional U shaped shackle with a screw in pin
verses
the flattened O shaped thingie with a screw barrel on one side.

I use the latter - a big one.
It's quick, simple, no pin to lose and can be done by hand alone.

But YMMV?

I don't know if I ever thought much about it. A shackle was always a
"U" shaped thing with a pin. I think that the other things are
actually called a "quick link". But probably serve just as well for
attaching an anchor.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:03:40 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 02:39:18 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
I was just looking up anchor types... How about a Bruce... but then
you'd have to import it from Thailand! LOL (sorry Bruce...)

Hey Bruce!
Send me one of your anchors?

If you really, really, want a Bruce then pick one out:

http://www.viking-moorings.com/Porta...in%20shank.pdf

Cheers,

Bruce

Jeez, Bruce!
Nothing smaller than 500 pounds???

One assumes that the user actually wants to stay where he is hitched
:-)

Freight and shipping is the responsibly of the buyer, of course.

Cheers,

Bruce

Default How to anchor under sail Bahamian style

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:57:33 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"HarryK" wrote in message
snip

Couldn't you hear it crying out for you to pick it up? Really now. You
have been posting here for two months and you still know squat about
boats.

Maybe she's not learned a thing from your like because you know NOTHING
about sailing?

But, you might have inadvertently made a good point, in spite of yourself,
Harry. Practical experience is worth way more than book learning. If Jessica
is serious about learning as much about sailing in as short a period as
possible she will just have to go sailing. I'm sure a girl of her many
charms could find many a sailboat in California that would love her to crew
on a week-end or a holiday. In the meantime she can read about it here and
elsewhere to get a general foundation of understanding.

Wilbur Hubbard

Don't know who Harry is or what he knows, but he sure is rude.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 02:38:31 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
snipped

And handy for a 2 point snag.
It (the aluminum hook) hangs on a bracket on the stern rail where I can
drop it quickly if the need should arise.

Stern? Isn't that inconvenient when you need it on the front? Then,
you have to bring it up there and attach it?

The cockpit is aft.
That's were I play most of the time.

Our marina is very tight in places.
Loss of power, or whatever, might necessitate a quick stop.
Hence the stern anchor.
It takes ten seconds to deploy.

Question back atcha...
Why do you have to anchor off the bow?
We get a better breeze stern-to.

I don't know... I always bow forward? lol

But the steel anchor is my "best bower".

Why not have two different kinds on the bow? And one lighter than the
other. Seems like it would give you more flexibility and satisfy your
notion that women can't lift heavy objects. :-)

wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:51:23 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
[...]

What happens if you get leaned over a lot? Wouldn't the bucket go
flying? I think I'd want it attached...

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:13:26 -0500, "Waldo" wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:19:38 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:27:05 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Hi Richard, Well, I guess I was concerned that it would be alot of
space and weight. Aren't there anchors that overlap as far as use
goes?

Yes on space and weight. The Rodes especially. I have three now -
250 to 300 feet each. AND chain (need more of that still)

That's ALOT of rope!! You must have a pretty big boat! Do tell...

Not really for the overlap...

A Danforth is good with mud and sand.
But it's not great in rocks.

Like Wilbur pointed out, a Herrschoff pattern (and a heavy Navy pattern)
work well in rocky crags.

Fishermen use a mushroom type, but I have no use for that on a sailboat.

I was just looking up anchor types... How about a Bruce... but then
you'd have to import it from Thailand! LOL (sorry Bruce...)

Geeze woman. Weren't you paying attention when the guy on rec.boats was
trying to teach you about anchors?

I've only looked at that section. There's way to many posts to sort
through. I thought I was Capt. Wil???

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:03:54 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:41:46 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
trimmed a lot
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

At least he's not dumb enough to still think you're my sock puppet.

Yes, you don't necessarily know what's on the bottom when you go someplace
but you can refer to the charts of the area and they will tell you what's
on
the bottom so you have a good idea beforehand what's the most suitable
anchor type to use for a given anchorage.

A real cruising sailor will ship multiple anchors so he is ready for any
and
all conditions of wind, sea and bottom. I carry about seven anchors all
told
but only have three ready to go at all times. The others are stowed low in
the bilges. The others are storm anchors and spare anchors to be used in
severe conditions.

Ok... so, in another comment you said keeping all the weight on the
bow isn't good, so you must put them elsewhere? I would think in the
middle of the boat but is there really a place like that.

I did say that but everything ends up being somewhat of a compromise on a
sailboat. It is not a good idea to have too much weight on the ends but the
compromise is it's important to have adequate ground tackle at the ready on
the bow. Working anchors on the bow are a compromise but a good and safe
one. Any spare or heavy storm anchors, however should be stored low and
towards the center of the yacht. Most boats have various lockers and bilge
access where a spare anchor or two can be stowed out of the way yet still be
not too hard to get to in a pinch.

That term... ground tackle... I guess because on the bottom is ground,
but it seems like it should be called boat tackle or water tackle. lol

Ready on the bow I have a Danforth Deepset, a CQR plow and a Herreschoff
fisherman (this is the only one that looks like a traditional anchor to a
lubber). Sized for the boat, the anchors aren't prohibitively heavy. All
told, I have about 80 pounds on the bow from anchors/chain/line. With that
I'm ready for just about any bottom type.

I would be that lubber! LOL I'll have to see what the others look
like...

Google images is your friend.

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

That Harryk is an id-spoofing moron from rec.boats.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:09:20 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Exactly. If you're married, you should, well, act married. If you're
single, you're single.

Have you ever been married? So, who exactly was the woman? LOL You
don't have to tell me if you don't want. You're over 18!

I was married once when I young. Got married at 21. Got divorced at 27.
Never remarried. No kids. Have you ever been married?

NO WAY! (I'm way too young for that!) Just kidding.. no never. I
probably could get married as long as the prospect never met my
brothers... the older one would probably start cleaning his gun in
front of him and my other bro would probably gross him out.

Woman? What woman. ROFLOL!

I was having this same basic conversation with my niece... she's just
getting to the age when boys are more than annoying... She told me she
wants to "date" this guy from school, but I don't think she really
understand the emotional vulnerability that it includes. I told her go
slow and bring him home so parents can check him out.

Probably "date" has a different meaning for her than for older folks. Didn't
you say she was still pretty young?

Yeah, she just a baby... early teen going on 38. I should put a pic of
her on myspace... she's so amazing really. The absolute sweetest
person.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:15:34 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:10:42 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

I just want to know who the fricken woman was who was on your boat!!!
lol

Surely, you're not the jealous type?

She's the one I mentioned who ran a background check on me to make sure I
wasn't some criminal or pervert. She took that video about six years ago
now
when she came down for a visit. We're still friends.

Jealous? Me?? hahahaha... no.. just wondering.

What did she find out? LOL

Smartass! One good thing about a fit girl who is only 5'5" is it's no har
task to take her over my knee and spank some courtesy into her. LOL!

You could try and then you'd regret it. I've taken self-defense
classes! LOL

It's nice you're still friends... that counts for something!

Oftentimes things don't work out for love and romance and living happily
ever after but that's no reason to dislike somebody.

Exactly. I try to be kind to my former romantic partners, but I'm not
too successful. snerk