Default Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

I hope something is done... I'm truly shocked by the number of
Hispanics who are working and can't speak English. I don't know if
they're legal or not, but whatever.

The only good I can see coming from it is the fact that Blacks rarely marry
Hispanics. I guess it's because they're afraid their children would be too
lazy to steal.

ROFLOL!

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:15:34 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Oftentimes things don't work out for love and romance and living happily
ever after but that's no reason to dislike somebody.

Exactly. I try to be kind to my former romantic partners, but I'm not
too successful. snerk

I can see where they might have a difficult time letting go.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:49:19 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

It's sometimes better to keep a girl wondering. LOL!

Of course, we have the attention span of gnats, so keep that in mind!
:-)

Surely you jest! Women seem to have steel-trap minds when it comes to things
like that.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
sniP.

That term... ground tackle... I guess because on the bottom is ground,
but it seems like it should be called boat tackle or water tackle. lol

The bottom is often referred to as "holding grounds" for anchoring purposes
so I guess
calling the anchor/rode "ground tackle" makes sense.

On 2/18/11 9:09 AM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Jessica wrote in message
snip

I hope something is done... I'm truly shocked by the number of
Hispanics who are working and can't speak English. I don't know if
they're legal or not, but whatever.

The only good I can see coming from it is the fact that Blacks rarely marry
Hispanics. I guess it's because they're afraid their children would be too
lazy to steal.

ROFLOL!

So, in addition to all your other charming attributes, you're also an
ethnic hater and a racist.

I'm still wondering, Willie...do you dump the raw sewage from your head
directly into the water? I doubt you use a holding tank and pump-out
station, because you might have to pay something for the privilege. Do
you raid trash cans for food?

"Jessica B" wrote in message
a snip
According to google maps it's about 60 or 70 miles away?

Sounds about right.

Well, if the boat sinks, there's always the dinghy! You could rig it
with a sail for just in case!

If conditions were rough enough to sink the mother ship I sure wouldn't want
to be out there in an open dinghy. It probably wouldn't last two minutes.
snip

I had one of those units in my other car... "Turn left in 1.2
miles...." Maybe they should make one for a boat!

Pretty much, they do. But, I don't know of any that speak to you. The one(s)
I use you have to look at it and adjust the autopilot manually to follow the
track which you plot in advance. You can set an alarm that beeps if you get
too far off-course or if you arrive at a waypoint so you can re-adjust the
course the auto pilot is steering.

I wish the stupid U.S. government would allow citizens to take a sailboat
cruise to Cuba but they don't unless you jump though all kinds of
ridiculous
hoops. I've looked at the charts and there is some fine sailing to be had
along the north coast of Cuba. Looks like thousands of little barrier
islands with a bay or sound between them and the big island. Can you speak
any Spanish?

I know... it would solve a lot of stuff if they were exposed to free
enterprise! I guess the Cuban expats are really a strong lobby in DC.

It seems dumb to me. The so-called embargo has obviously failed as every
other country in the world trades with Cuba. All it does is punish American
citizens who'd like to travel to Cuba as tourists. If anything is going to
overthrow the dictatorship it's Cuban citizens who become more affluent
because they can get ahold of dollars.

Maybe you can claim to be a journalist? I think there's an exception
for that. I also heard that things are a bit less restrictive these
days, but it might just be for sending money. I don't really follow it
much... wrong coast.

Cuba, itself, is kind of a pain in the ass to cruise because you have to
clear into and out of each and every port of call. They need to change that
aspect before they can attract cruisers in any kind of significant numbers.
In the Bahamas, for example, you clear in at one port and get a cruising
permit good for six months and you can go anywhere in the country without
having to clear in and out of whatever port you might happen to visit.

I don't know about most people, but I often change my mind as to
destinations depending on the winds and, if I clear out of one port and
declare I am to arrive at another port at such and such a date and the wind
shifts and I can't get there so I have to go someplace else, then I get a
bunch of bureaucratic crap when I arrive there for not sticking to the plan
then who the hell needs that kind of hassle.

I took it in high school, but it's been a while.

I took French but I wish I would have taken Spanish.

"Jessica wrote in message
snip

I hope something is done... I'm truly shocked by the number of
Hispanics who are working and can't speak English. I don't know if
they're legal or not, but whatever.

The only good I can see coming from it is the fact that Blacks rarely
marry
Hispanics. I guess it's because they're afraid their children would be
too
lazy to steal.

ROFLOL!

So, in addition to all your other charming attributes, you're also an
ethnic hater and a racist.

I'm still wondering, Willie...do you dump the raw sewage from your head
directly into the water? I doubt you use a holding tank and pump-out
station, because you might have to pay something for the privilege. Do you
raid trash cans for food?

You sure seem to have one big scat fetish, HarryK! LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Try my boat...
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26

IMPRESSIVE AND A WELCOME SIGHT . . .

That is indeed, a well-kept little yacht. Pride of ownership in apparent. I
particularly like the way you mounted the instruments so they swing out to
be viewed from the cockpit. The name and graphics are very fetching. The
exterior brightwork is outstanding. The cleanliness is superb. The
organization is well above average. Cabin-top traveler is practical and
functional.

Thank you, Wilbur.
I take that kindly.

The wood had been let go for way too long.
Cetol - Natural Teak on the exterior wood.
Beautiful stuff, huh?
And I'm trying out some automotive UV protection spray to help it last longer.

The name graphics I did myself.
Took about a week to draw it up the way I wanted and had the local vinyl
cutter make a set.

Things _I_ m not happy with (yet)...

The stock single-line reefing system is almost unworkable.
I need to get some pulleys where the fairleads are on the mast and try again.

As it is now, I have the reefing line run through the clew end only and use the
cunningham (8:1) to haul down the tack. It works well, but means going to the
mast to set the cunningham. Work in progress...

Things I don't like a

1) excessive beam for the LWL (must have a very choppy ride and a bit slow
to weather)

I like a beamy boat!
But my tastes in hull-form and maiden-form are not necessarily the same!

A bit of heave in a BIG chop, true, but a nice easy motion.
Not sharp at all.

And not slow to weather either.

In fact, with the new main sail, she points higher than I expected.
By GPS she can make 2.5 knots at 30 degrees off!
Add 8 degrees leeway on the ground track.
So she can pinch up if need be.

45 off, it's hull speed in 12 mph wind or better

Catalina calls her a "performance cruiser".

2) some of the more valuable space in the boat taken up with the head (I'd
gut it and make a library/chart table/storage out of it.

The new 250/270/280 etc all have this kind of head arrangement now.
The musty old V-berth arrangement is no longer used.
Heck, I couldn't fit in most of them anyway, so no loss here.

A porta-potti is
legal for that size boat and bathing can be done in the cockpit. Why
allocate some of the most valuable space in a boat to a place one only uses
once or twice a day?)

Girls...
Those soft, shapely, all-too-sensible of their privacy creatures?
I like having them aboard.
Keeps me young at heart!

The boat didn't come from Catalina with a head installed.
That was added by the original owner.
But if you wanted a porta-potti, where else would it go?

This boat seems to be a trial horse for some of the new ideas Frank Butler
came up with for the new Catalina line (the 3 digit boats).

And not just layout, but construction methods and materials as well.
There were only 318 built.
So the normal evolution of a long production run didn't happen.

There is actually a great deal of wasted space AFT of that under the cockpit
on the port side. It could be opened up if need be.

3) no mast steps (it shouldn't take a committee to ascent to the masthead)

When I was 25 or 30 I could free climb a mast with only hands and feet.
These days that foolishness is long past.

I'm saving up for a MastClimber rig.
Or maybe make one from scratch.

But steps on the mast would be really out of place on a boat like this.
Take another look at the rig. It's as aerodynamically clean as could be.

But I agree. It shouldn't take a committee to get to the mast head.
Specially when one sails single handed!

4) inadequate/poorly placed anchor cleats (actually they are dock line
cleats)

They are indeed dock cleats. But they work fine as anchor cleats in
sheltered water. If I ever get her to the coast I'll have to address
that matter. But for now it's ok.

5) useless roll-up headsail (no reason for roll-ups on a 26-footer)

Another point of agreement.
I put the new main om her last summer.
This summer she will (hopefully) get new headsails (NOTE THE PLURAL)- with
Wichard style hanks! They can be operated with one hand, and I may be able
to come up with a "magazine" mechanism so the all go on at the same time.

The roller furling line will become the jib downhaul, and I may even double
up with another one on the starboard side. My reasoning is that it would
help when changing head sails if the one coming down could be held down
while the replacement goes on. (all head sails will have a dedicated tack
pennant, so they will ride a foot (or more) off the deck. I see no reason for
deck-sweepers on a cruising boat!

The roller is convenient.
But (MY experience) it sucks bilge water as a reefing system.

And I've not mastered the art of swapping headsails on the foil under way.
Racers do it, but it takes the entire foredeck crew for that little evolution.
I'd have to heave-to and pull/stow one before sending up the next.
That's just too much to expect single handed.

6) that household faucet/electric pump is just plain out of place in a small
yacht. You should toss it overboard and install reliable hand pumps. Lose
the pressure water system.

In progress. And I've already removed the water heater.
120VAC is hard to find anywhere but the slip.

Water supply in any ship is limited as soon as you drop the dock lines.
Running a few quarts to get to the hot stuff is just plain wasteful.
And pressure water systems tend to be easy to abuse.

I've started collecting parts for a hand-pumped system.

The pressure pump is a bit too small to serve as a wash-down pump.
So it will probably come out and a larger pump installed for that service.

7) that one photo with the powerhead almost under water indicates that you
need a motor with a longer shaft mounted higher on the transom.

No, it's ok.
The bulge of the standing wave around the hull makes it look worse than it is.

What I'd _like_ to have is a Yamaha 9.9 High-Thrust. (yamaha Y9.9ELT?)
It has higher gearing and a larger(11"), flatter pitch, four blade prop.

8) vang is upside-down. It would be better to have the line along the deck
instead of hanging from above where it is more likely to tangle or snag.

Old pic. It has already been lead down to deck and aft to the cockpit.

9) oversized self-tailing winch is strictly for show and totally unnecessary
for small sails.

Huh! They ain't THAT small.
Specially in a blow!

10) you'd better actually measure the length of your mast. A forty-foot mast
on a 26-foot boat is not even believable. Try about 30-feet and you'd be
closer to the mark.

33 feet of mast + 5 feet to the top of the deck house...
Darn near 40 feet.
And when it starts to sway! Feels more like 50!

But, I suppose I need to view your fine little yacht more in light of her
purpose which seems to be week-end cruises on a lake. I suppose many of the
items mentioned above can be forgiven for a little yacht in that venue. The
dislikes are more a criticism of the yacht were she a coastal cruiser or
occasional ocean-voyaging vessel like mine.

Will, a Capri _EIGHTEEN_ made the trip from San Francisco to Hawaii.

The boat is seldom the issue.

It's usually a question of the crew.

Wilbur Hubbard

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

"Jessica wrote in message
[...]

Uh-huh. My feeling is that you are just the sort of guy who dumps his
dumps right into the water. You do, right?

Default How to anchor under sail Bahamian style

On 2/18/11 9:02 AM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Jessica wrote in message
snip

Don't know who Harry is or what he knows, but he sure is rude.

More accurately stated - he's an asshole.(Please excuse my French.) And, he
knows NOTHING! He's a motorboat week-end warrior, PUTZ! LOL! And, what's
worse, there are TWO of them. You have the original asshole and then you
have his little butt-buddy frogger.

How sad to emulate Harry Krause. Somebody SURE needs to get a life.

Wilbur Hubbard

I know enough to not own a crappy little badly painted sailbote or dump
raw sewage into the water. that's more than you know.