Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:20:23 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

We as a country certainly can be better but I can't think of a place
I'd rather live. I don't get some of the extreme criticism that
happens from those on the left. Seems to me they have a pretty good
deal.

Exactly! It's like all the people complaining about how poor they are. But,
look at them! They have so much to eat that they are obese, they have a car
or two, air conditioning, dishwasher, color TVs with cable, computers with
Internet, hot and cold running water, etc. etc. They need to shut their yaps
and enjoy all the luxuries they can't seem to even notice because they are
complaining all the time.

Also, I know there are poor people, but there is also lots of
opportunity. I don't mind helping people in the short term, but when
it becomes an institution, then I have to draw the line.

I guess (to make this sailing related Justin) it would be like
offering someone help who got stuck on a sand bar. Well, ok, but don't
expect me to help you for the next five years. At some point you need
to figure out how to get off the sand bar yourself (or stay off).

So, on to more pleasant (and ON-TOPIC JUSTIN... sheesh) subjects...
You're in the Keys, so do you typically sail on the west or east side
of Florida? Also, I think there's a national park near the Keys... not
the Everglades... a place that you have to get to by boat? It's
supposed to have an old fort.

It's more convenient for me to sail on the Florida Bay side of the Keys as
getting to the oceanside involves going out a creek that is about two miles
long and going under a bridge that opens on a schedule. Or, sailing to the
Channel Five bridge which is high enough to get under. They have made all
the water around the Keys into a National Marine sanctuary. The national
park is either the Everglades National Park (up and around the mainland) or
the Fort Jefferson National Monument. Fort Jefferson is in the Marqueses
about fifty or sixty miles west of Key West. No roads and bridges to it
though the water is mostly not very deep. I think one might be able to take
a seaplane ride out to it but it's mainly accessible by boat only.

I have no idea where the Florida Bay is... is that on the west side?
I'm guessing, but it seems like there's ocean all around.

Oh... Fort Jefferson... I looked it up and it looks like it's the same
as the Dry Tortugas, which is what I was thinking of...

http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

That looks beautiful! Can your boat go there?

Also, did you get my email? I think I asked you that somewhere
previously.

Affirmative! Thanks.