#521   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 01:19 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 796
Default Cannibal

Jessica B wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:27:05 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...


Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.


Hi Richard, Well, I guess I was concerned that it would be alot of
space and weight. Aren't there anchors that overlap as far as use
goes?


Yes on space and weight. The Rodes especially. I have three now -
250 to 300 feet each. AND chain (need more of that still)

Not really for the overlap...

A Danforth is good with mud and sand.
But it's not great in rocks.

Like Wilbur pointed out, a Herrschoff pattern (and a heavy Navy pattern)
work well in rocky crags.

Fishermen use a mushroom type, but I have no use for that on a sailboat.



--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb


  #522   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 364
Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:59:22 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

In my case (and Jimbo's) you don't get anything else unless you get
the mind first. Stace is a less strict. You never know who's going to
be leaving in the morning (we were roommates in college).

Can't fault any of that.


Well,, she's not a slut or anything... I don't mean to bad-mouth her.
She's a wonderful person... just sometimes she makes questionable
choices. I guess we all do.



That's true. And, it's the chooser who reaps the rewards or suffers the
adversity for their choice so I figure it's their own business to have
whatever promiscuity standards they're comfortable with. To each his/her own
when it comes to sexual mores in singles.

Married? Then that's a horse of a different color . . .


Exactly. If you're married, you should, well, act married. If you're
single, you're single.

Have you ever been married? So, who exactly was the woman? LOL You
don't have to tell me if you don't want. You're over 18!

I was having this same basic conversation with my niece... she's just
getting to the age when boys are more than annoying... She told me she
wants to "date" this guy from school, but I don't think she really
understand the emotional vulnerability that it includes. I told her go
slow and bring him home so parents can check him out.
  #523   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 364
Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:10:42 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip


I just want to know who the fricken woman was who was on your boat!!!
lol


Surely, you're not the jealous type?

She's the one I mentioned who ran a background check on me to make sure I
wasn't some criminal or pervert. She took that video about six years ago now
when she came down for a visit. We're still friends.


Jealous? Me?? hahahaha... no.. just wondering.

What did she find out? LOL

It's nice you're still friends... that counts for something!
  #524   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 364
Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:22:02 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

I have no idea where the Florida Bay is... is that on the west side?
I'm guessing, but it seems like there's ocean all around.


Florida Bay is the water between the Keys and the mainland peninsular. Much
of it is way too shallow except for canoes, kayaks, etc. It has lots of
little mangrove islands. But, closer to the Keys island chain the water is
deep enough to sail and the Intracoastal Waterway runs though it.



Oh... Fort Jefferson... I looked it up and it looks like it's the same
as the Dry Tortugas, which is what I was thinking of...

http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

That looks beautiful! Can your boat go there?



Sure she can. I've never been out there but it would make a nice trip.
Probably would take a couple weeks to do a round trip right.


According to google maps it's about 60 or 70 miles away? I guess you
have to be good at navigation! That would leave me out. :-(

Or, you could go due south and go to Cuba! Even I could figure that
out!
  #525   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 364
Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:14:47 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:51:23 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...
Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Weight counts but weight isn't the be-all/end-all.

A lighter patent anchor that digs in and buries itself can hold better than
a heavy 'navy type' anchor that does not, for example.

And, too much weight on the bow can be detrimental to the pitching moment of
a small sailboat.


Wilbur Hubbard


Among my collection of anchors are two Danforth types.
One is steel and heavy. The other is aluminum and very light.
Both are the same size.

What little use I've given them still shows that the heavy anchor
holds better.


Isn't that sort of obvious? Then why would you carry the lighter one?


Lunch hook.


So you would use it just when you want to stop for lunch? Is it really
that much of a difference? Seems like it would take up a lot of space
and not get you much.

It's a lot easier to raise (hey, it's lighter!)
My foredeck is strictly female territory.


?? I think most women can do the work. How heavy are you talking
about??

And handy for a 2 point snag.
It (the aluminum hook) hangs on a bracket on the stern rail where I can
drop it quickly if the need should arise.


Stern? Isn't that inconvenient when you need it on the front? Then,
you have to bring it up there and attach it?

But the steel anchor is my "best bower".


Why not have two different kinds on the bow? And one lighter than the
other. Seems like it would give you more flexibility and satisfy your
notion that women can't lift heavy objects. :-)


  #526   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 364
Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:19:38 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:27:05 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.


Hi Richard, Well, I guess I was concerned that it would be alot of
space and weight. Aren't there anchors that overlap as far as use
goes?


Yes on space and weight. The Rodes especially. I have three now -
250 to 300 feet each. AND chain (need more of that still)


That's ALOT of rope!! You must have a pretty big boat! Do tell...


Not really for the overlap...

A Danforth is good with mud and sand.
But it's not great in rocks.

Like Wilbur pointed out, a Herrschoff pattern (and a heavy Navy pattern)
work well in rocky crags.

Fishermen use a mushroom type, but I have no use for that on a sailboat.


I was just looking up anchor types... How about a Bruce... but then
you'd have to import it from Thailand! LOL (sorry Bruce...)
  #527   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 08:38 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 796
Default Cannibal

Jessica B wrote:
snipped


And handy for a 2 point snag.
It (the aluminum hook) hangs on a bracket on the stern rail where I can
drop it quickly if the need should arise.


Stern? Isn't that inconvenient when you need it on the front? Then,
you have to bring it up there and attach it?


The cockpit is aft.
That's were I play most of the time.

Our marina is very tight in places.
Loss of power, or whatever, might necessitate a quick stop.
Hence the stern anchor.
It takes ten seconds to deploy.

Question back atcha...
Why do you have to anchor off the bow?
We get a better breeze stern-to.



But the steel anchor is my "best bower".


Why not have two different kinds on the bow? And one lighter than the
other. Seems like it would give you more flexibility and satisfy your
notion that women can't lift heavy objects. :-)



--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

  #528   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 08:39 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 796
Default Cannibal

Jessica B wrote:

I was just looking up anchor types... How about a Bruce... but then
you'd have to import it from Thailand! LOL (sorry Bruce...)




Hey Bruce!
Send me one of your anchors?
--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

  #529   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 11:38 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 503
Default Cannibal

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 02:39:18 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:

I was just looking up anchor types... How about a Bruce... but then
you'd have to import it from Thailand! LOL (sorry Bruce...)




Hey Bruce!
Send me one of your anchors?



If you really, really, want a Bruce then pick one out:

http://www.viking-moorings.com/Porta...in%20shank.pdf


Cheers,

Bruce
  #530   Report Post  
Old February 17th 11, 11:42 AM posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 503
Default Cannibal

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 02:38:31 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
snipped


And handy for a 2 point snag.
It (the aluminum hook) hangs on a bracket on the stern rail where I can
drop it quickly if the need should arise.


Stern? Isn't that inconvenient when you need it on the front? Then,
you have to bring it up there and attach it?


The cockpit is aft.
That's were I play most of the time.

Our marina is very tight in places.
Loss of power, or whatever, might necessitate a quick stop.
Hence the stern anchor.
It takes ten seconds to deploy.

Question back atcha...
Why do you have to anchor off the bow?
We get a better breeze stern-to.



But the steel anchor is my "best bower".


Why not have two different kinds on the bow? And one lighter than the
other. Seems like it would give you more flexibility and satisfy your
notion that women can't lift heavy objects. :-)


One reason is because the pointy end is where you keep the anchor :-)

Cheers,

Bruce


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017