Jessica B Jessica B is offline

Default Cannibal

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:14:47 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:51:23 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...
Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Weight counts but weight isn't the be-all/end-all.

A lighter patent anchor that digs in and buries itself can hold better than
a heavy 'navy type' anchor that does not, for example.

And, too much weight on the bow can be detrimental to the pitching moment of
a small sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

Among my collection of anchors are two Danforth types.
One is steel and heavy. The other is aluminum and very light.
Both are the same size.

What little use I've given them still shows that the heavy anchor
holds better.

Isn't that sort of obvious? Then why would you carry the lighter one?

Lunch hook.

So you would use it just when you want to stop for lunch? Is it really
that much of a difference? Seems like it would take up a lot of space
and not get you much.

It's a lot easier to raise (hey, it's lighter!)
My foredeck is strictly female territory.

?? I think most women can do the work. How heavy are you talking
about??

And handy for a 2 point snag.
It (the aluminum hook) hangs on a bracket on the stern rail where I can
drop it quickly if the need should arise.

Stern? Isn't that inconvenient when you need it on the front? Then,
you have to bring it up there and attach it?

But the steel anchor is my "best bower".

Why not have two different kinds on the bow? And one lighter than the
other. Seems like it would give you more flexibility and satisfy your
notion that women can't lift heavy objects. :-)