Default Generator

On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:13:42 PM UTC-4, BAR wrote:
In article ,

snip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Aspen

Because I could.

At the time I also looked at the new Honda Accord but was still leery of Japanese cars. Guess I made a mistake there.

We had a Datsun 1200 Sedan. It lasted for about 13 years, over 300,000

miles and it had its oil change once or twice. It was tuned up once or

twice just keep filling it with gas and it would go forever.

Forgot that at the time, Consumer Reports was recommending the Aspen/Volarie.
I did get the new fenders for no charge and I had it rustproofed by Bondco but there was a hole in my tailgate before it was two years old.
I kept it for five years and becaused I lived about 18 -20 miles out of town back then, the road salt really did a job on the car. Too bad, I did like that old slant six engine.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On Monday, December 24, 2012 12:48:24 PM UTC-4, BAR wrote:
In article ,

says...

On Monday, December 24, 2012 11:14:53 AM UTC-4, BAR wrote:

In article ,

says...

On Monday, December 24, 2012 9:21:26 AM UTC-4, BAR wrote:

In article ,

says...

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:01:51 PM UTC-4, Eisboch wrote:

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:32:14 -0500, JustWait

wrote:

On 12/23/2012 10:26 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or

had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,

emergencies.

Oooops, missed he "camping trips" part. Your camp neighbors are

gonna'

hate you for running a contractors genny at the campsite.. Just

sayin'..

At those kinds of campgrounds, electricity is available - wouldn't

need a generator. If camping in a

place where a generator is needed - like off the highway in Canada

somewhere - anyone else around

will be using their generator also.

-------------------------------

Nope. You are wrong. There are electricity-less campsites but they

are typically favored by people who want to truly connect with nature.

They go there to get away from noise, not to microwave hotdogs or run

a coffee maker.

Bingo!

A lot of people like to camp the old simple way ..maybe with a Coleman lantern and stove.

Here's my credit card, where is my room. I had enough camping in shelter

halves and all-weather sleeping bags.

Although my wife isn't interested in camping, I could, and have, slept in the back of a stationwagon. Funny...before I bought my last 2 new vehicles, I crawled in back to see if I could sleep in the cargo area if required.

With the back seats down it's a tight fit in the back of the RAV4...laying kitty corner.

You should have bought a man's vehicle like my F150 5.4L V8 SuperCrew.

One person can sleep in the front seat and another can sleep in the back

seat.

Duh!

Since the last time I actually did sleep out in the back of my Dodge Aspen stn Wagon was the day Princess Diana was killed, I would have wasted a lot of expensive gas since then.

I just like to have the capacity if required.

Dodge Aspen? Why did you ever buy a Dodge Aspen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Aspen

Because I could.
At the time I also looked at the new Honda Accord but was still leery of Japanese cars. Guess I made a mistake there.

We had a Datsun 1200 Sedan. It lasted for about 13 years, over 300,000
miles and it had its oil change once or twice. It was tuned up once or
twice just keep filling it with gas and it would go forever.

I got in the Datsun game too early! Don't remember what model it was,
bought used, but it had carb problems upon carb problems. Hell, bought a
brand new carb after putting two used ones on, and the new one was no
better. Asked the guy at the parts store and he said he sold those
things on a daily basis. Second Datsun, a 74 B210 was a much better
car!! We won't even talk about the 69 VW sedan with automatic tranny.
Engine ran fine, tranny not so much!

In article ,
says...

[...]

Had a Mustang that the unibody was so rusted from salt that one day I
was driving along, heard a thump in the rear, and when I opened the
trunk, the leaf spring was poking through!

On 12/24/2012 5:47 AM, Meyer wrote:
On 12/24/2012 8:27 AM, JustWait wrote:
On 12/23/2012 8:38 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:47:00 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/23/2012 2:58 PM, Eisboch wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use
and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely not
going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and an
annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Anyone in a nearby tent will especially hate it.

Actually, I can't even think of a place we've stayed where tents were
nearby. Usually the tent area
is well removed from the RV area.

Oh well... Looks like you are gonna' be one of "those guys".... Tent
campers can see you coming a mile away.

Tent camping in a RV park is like camping in your back yard. Why? There
are so many places you can hike to to get away from "it all".

My favorite campground is a normally peaceful mixed-use campground at
the mouth of a great fishing river. I tow a boat instead of an RV and
don't care if generators are running in Wall-Mart parking lots.

On 12/24/2012 2:14 PM, thumper wrote:
[...]

Tent camping in an rv park is what you do with your family when you
don't have a camper but you still want to have some fun...

My favorite campground is a normally peaceful mixed-use campground at
the mouth of a great fishing river. I tow a boat instead of an RV and
don't care if generators are running in Wall-Mart parking lots.

In article , says...

[...]

They are like Harry and his notion that there is nothing to see in the
U.S. and only wants to get from point A to point B.

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 00:33:53 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:58:04 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use
.... and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely
not going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and
an annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Apparently my camping use got overlooked. I wouldn't be using it at
campgrounds where electricity is
available, but where I'm either alone or with others on a generator.
I've never, while in
campgrounds in the US, had a need for a generator.

I think the camping comments made by me and others are in response to
your original post where you specifically stated:

"This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,
emergencies."

Oh, OK. My bad. Should have been more clear.

I don't see how any of us overlooked anything.

When it comes to generators, you get what you pay for. The one you
are looking at is a cheaply made, Chinese import that has a reputation
for being very short-lived. You may balk at the price of an inverter
based Honda or one of it's Yamaha or Suzuki equivalents, but if you
read some of the reviews and people's experiences of the cheap Chinese
generators you will find that you'll go through several of them while
the better ones are still going strong.

I'd also reconsider if you really need 3kw of portable power. The
inverter design (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) 2000 watt is sufficient for
most camping, boating and emergency power applications if you manage
the load put on it. My EU-2000i easily ran a full sized home
refrigerator, couple of incandescent lights, a Direct TV receiver and
large flat panel TV 24/7 for over a week after hurricane Wilma.
When I wanted to brew a pot of coffee, I temporarily unplugged the
refrigerator, made the coffee, then plugged the refrigerator back in.
All this time it ran on the lower RPM range, automatically kicking up
briefly for a heavier load (like when the refrigerator compressor
kicked on) and then dropped back to it's low RPM range after the
compressor was running. The generator you are looking at runs at
3600 RPM continuously, burning more gas than necessary and, as
previously pointed out, is loud.

The other benefit of an inverter type generator is that the output
voltage is a very clean, sine wave. This is important when powering
sensitive devices like computers.

You know, I'd forgotten to check if this one had a power down mode when the load was reduced. What
you say here makes some good sense. I may cancel the order and give the Honda more thought. I didn't
know Kawasaki and Suzuki also made these things.

New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
Buying a generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 30 June 14th 11 05:57 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM