Default New Generator

On advice from ppl in thsi group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 22, 10:11*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On advice from ppl in this group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). *It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.

good deal man. it will deliver the goods for you, just make sure you
have good ventilation. Even though outside a still night can make the
monoxide drift in strange ways.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:48:36 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 22, 10:11*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On advice from ppl in this group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). *It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.

good deal man. it will deliver the goods for you, just make sure you
have good ventilation. Even though outside a still night can make the
monoxide drift in strange ways.

CO is really dangerous. They're a lot more of a risk than a tiny
amount propane gas down current. A friend of mine almost died from CO
poisoning. He didn't even realize it was happening.

wrote:

On Jun 22, 10:11 pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On advice from ppl in this group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.

good deal man. it will deliver the goods for you, just make sure you
have good ventilation. Even though outside a still night can make the
monoxide drift in strange ways.

CO is really dangerous. They're a lot more of a risk than a tiny
amount propane gas down current. A friend of mine almost died from CO
poisoning. He didn't even realize it was happening.

Good points y'all. I am so used to running my boats diesel to
generate power that I did not even think of this (Diesels do not make
CO) but I do not ever plan to use it at night or in confined space but
thanx for the warning.

wrote:

[...]

Actually, they do... I had to look it up. Seems to be only under load,
so unless it's under a lot of load, you're ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust

You might want to get a CO monitor. That was what saved my friend. His
wife heard it and came to investigate.

On Jun 22, 11:11*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On advice from ppl in thsi group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). *It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.

Let us know how loud it is when you get it. We are looking for a
generator we can run in public, the contractors generator I have now
has got to be 75-80 db and I really don't want to run it in this tight
neighborhood like I did down on the shore where I had a detached barn
to run it in...

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 03:33:06 -0700 (PDT), "JustWaitAFrekinMinute!"
wrote:

On Jun 22, 11:11*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On advice from ppl in thsi group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). *It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.

Let us know how loud it is when you get it. We are looking for a
generator we can run in public, the contractors generator I have now
has got to be 75-80 db and I really don't want to run it in this tight
neighborhood like I did down on the shore where I had a detached barn
to run it in...

====

Running a generator in an enclosed space is never a good idea.

Regarding CO detectors, it's probably a good investment for any boat.
You can easily be overcome by your neighbors generator in an anchorage
with no wind. It happens. We've had a detector for over 10 years
and used to get occasional alarms on our old boat due to "station
wagon" effect when underway in a following wind.

wrote:

On Jun 22, 11:11 pm, wrote:
On advice from ppl in thsi group, I paid the big bucks for a good
generator and got a Yamaha 2000 watt for $989 from Amazon (yeah, I
know a weird place to buy a generator). It should be here in a couple
of days but the reviews were all very good.

Let us know how loud it is when you get it. We are looking for a
generator we can run in public, the contractors generator I have now
has got to be 75-80 db and I really don't want to run it in this tight
neighborhood like I did down on the shore where I had a detached barn
to run it in...

====

Running a generator in an enclosed space is never a good idea.

Hmmm. What about the hundreds of thousands of boats that have diesel
generators in their bilges?

I always kept my gasoline generator on deck on my 25' Parker, and never
ran it if we were taking a nap in the cabin. Though it was quiet, it
wasn't odor-free...smelled like any other air-cooled gasoline engine
when it was running.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Nope, don't run 'em in an "occupied" enclosed area. I ran it in a
detached barn that was 12 by 22 with one window open but I didn't spend
more than a few seconds in there at a time to start or stop it.

I did get co poison once, working at a site but I noticed as soon as I
started to feel a bit "drunk" and got out. I called my friend who was a
paramedic and he told me to get a lot of air but not to bother going to
the er because it was just a matter of time to get the co out of my
system and the er couldn't really do it any faster since I was not real
bad... I am very careful about it now, that's for sure.

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

Generator maintenance Jean-Marc Delaplace Boat Building 5 December 13th 06 03:26 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM
generator service cal Electronics 0 January 4th 04 05:49 PM