Default Generator

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 21:12:35 -0500, ESAD wrote:

On 12/25/12 8:49 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 15:06:34 -0500, ESAD wrote:

On 12/25/12 3:07 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:

Well, you are exceptional. Most of the time there are tenters where we camp, but I've only seen one,
that I can remember, on a site with water and electricity. The great majority of tenters rough it
without electricity and water hookups.

- - -

So, you want to be upwind and upstream of the tenters, eh?

Why?

Because without water, they're going to smell bad.

The campgrounds we use all have bathhouses. I've never noticed any smelly tenters.

On 12/25/2012 6:06 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:19:51 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/25/2012 12:15 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:

Great. We just don't see that many tenters paying the extra for the hookups where we camp.

But why would you feel free to annoy them...?

How?

If you're not planning to run a noisy generator near them at night
never-mind.

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:00:29 PM UTC-4, Earl wrote:
wrote:

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:32:14 AM UTC-4, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 10:26 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

Oooops, missed he "camping trips" part. Your camp neighbors are gonna'

hate you for running a contractors genny at the campsite.. Just sayin'..

I don't think Johnny worries too much about the neighbours.

You don't seem to care about your house and yard. I'm sure your

neighbors high-five you every time they pass by.

Well, Ditzy...y'all sure do come by your name honestly.

GuzzisRule wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 17:14:08 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/25/2012 1:26 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article , lid says...

BS. If available I always take a spot with power/water.

I don't get it. Why? When I tent camped I never carried any electrical
gear that wasn't battery powered. Didn't carry a shower or toilet
either
Used the campground facilities.
Coleman stove, battery lights, 5 gallon collapsing water jug.
Always thought going light weight was what tent camping was about.
Besides that, the RV area is noisy.
And most of them I've seen have concrete aprons. Real hard to drive
tent stakes through that.
Never considered for a second buying an RV spot.
Are you talking about a tent, or a popup tent camper?

See my other response. Perhaps this location and our activities are
unusual. The power is convenient for a coffee pot and microwave which
allow more time on the river. We use a tent.

Oh, so maybe what I said wasn't 'BS'? If you are staying in a place where
the tenters are on sites
with electricity and water, then it would be unusual as hell from what
I've seen. We've been doing a
lot of camping, with motorcycles/tents and RV's over the past 20+ years,
and I've not seen much of
that.

While at Bryce Canyon National Park we stayed at a very nice campground
outside the part, It had a
tent area and RV sites. On one of the RV sites was a Moto Guzzi, with a
guy and a girl at the picnic
table. They paid the extra bucks for the water and electricity, but they
were the only ones we saw
doing that. They didn't have anything that took 110 volts, but they liked
having the water right
there.

Oregon parks seem to be the same cheap price, for any site, power and water
included.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
lid says...

On 12/24/2012 3:23 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:12:38 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/23/2012 5:38 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:47:00 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/23/2012 2:58 PM, Eisboch wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use ....
and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely not
going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and an
annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Anyone in a nearby tent will especially hate it.

Actually, I can't even think of a place we've stayed where tents were nearby. Usually the tent area
is well removed from the RV area.

My favorite campground isn't segregated.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_37.php

None of them are segregated. But most tent campers don't want to pay extra for water, electricity,
and sewer. So they usually stay in places other than the sites where all that is available.

BS. If available I always take a spot with power/water.

I don't get it. Why? When I tent camped I never carried any electrical
gear that wasn't battery powered. Didn't carry a shower or toilet
either
Used the campground facilities.
Coleman stove, battery lights, 5 gallon collapsing water jug.
Always thought going light weight was what tent camping was about.
Besides that, the RV area is noisy.
And most of them I've seen have concrete aprons. Real hard to drive
tent stakes through that.
Never considered for a second buying an RV spot.
Are you talking about a tent, or a popup tent camper?

Tent. Every few days I'd hit a campground that had showers, laundry,
etc. for one night, and for a couple of bucks more, I could get
electricity and water. Used the water to wash gear, etc.

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 09:50:35 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 15:06:15 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

The biggest limitation I see with camping is you are pretty much
limited to where you are willing to drive.
Sometimes we are up to the maximum of 3 bags each, on a 3 week fly
drive vacation the way it is. I am usually just my big duffel bag and
a cooler but my wife packs heavy, particularly coming home.

Really? You can hike to the AT trail for a few days at a time and never
see a vehicle.

That's great if you think the east coast of the US is the only place
you want to see but we like hiking around out west. I have been on the
AT a number of times but the scenery doesn't really change that much
from Georgia to Pennsylvania.

Well, I've also hiked the Pacific Coast Trail, spent two weeks
backpacking in Yellowstone, and in my teens spent a summer in Yosemite.
I find it funny that you don't think the scenery changes much from GA to
PA. I guess you really didn't notice much. That may be your trouble, you
need to take the time to look, learn and appreciate.

They don't have anything like this is North Carolina

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/alaska/Glacier%20lake.jpg

or this

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...big%20tree.jpg

or this

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/Ju...kes%20peak.jpg

or this

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/dakota/Devils%20tower.jpg

Duh! So, what's your point? Are you saying that you can't hike and tent
camp in those areas???

In article ,
says...

[...]

Let's see, by tent camping, I have a wider choice of beautiful places to
camp, I use a LOT less fuel, I can park just about anywhere, I have a
lot less hassle traveling, can take my boat, don't have insurance of my
tent, can pick up and go in less than a half an hour, and on and on.
Yep, tents are horrible!

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 18:35:31 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/25/2012 6:06 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:19:51 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/25/2012 12:15 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:

Great. We just don't see that many tenters paying the extra for the hookups where we camp.

But why would you feel free to annoy them...?

How?

If you're not planning to run a noisy generator near them at night
never-mind.

I can't imagine anyone doing that. Although, I have seen show stars, like Rhonda Vincent, leave the
generator in their bus running all night at the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival. Their bus was
probably a hundred yards from the nearest RV, and the generator was very quiet.

If you camp where people are doing as you describe, running a noisy generator all night, try asking
them to shut it down. There must be rules about such things. Most places we've been to disallow
running generators after around 10-11 PM.

I have seen tenters with a generator. They bring everything in a pickup and have room for lots of
stuff. But, I've not heard one running at night.

New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
Buying a generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 30 June 14th 11 05:57 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM