Default Buying a generator

I need to buy a small generator so i can run one power tool at a time
to rebuild my cabin in Wyoming. This means I need less than 2000
watts.
The higher cost models include Honda at over $800, Yamaha at about the
same and Honeywell at about $650 .
The cheaper models are less than $200 but are made in China.
I expect to rarely use this generator and it would never be needed for
emergency purposes.
The Honeywell at $650 is almost reasonable. The cheap Chinese
ones........................?
So, should I follow my own advice and not buy chinese because when
chinese goods break it always costs more money than the diff in
purchase price? Or, should I buy Chinese and gamble that it will work
long enough to be useful.?

On Jun 13, 11:42*am, I_am_Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article 61739c51-20c6-4c1b-8231-f1745e9eaf9d@
22g2000prx.googlegroups.com, says...

I need to buy a small generator so i can run one power tool at a time
to rebuild my cabin in Wyoming. *This means I need less than 2000
watts.
The higher cost models include Honda at over $800, Yamaha at about the
same and Honeywell at about $650 .
The cheaper models are less than $200 but are made in China.
I expect to rarely use this generator and it would never be needed for
emergency purposes.
The Honeywell at $650 is almost reasonable. *The cheap Chinese
ones........................?
So, should I follow my own advice and not buy chinese because when
chinese goods break it always costs more money than the diff in
purchase price? *Or, should I buy Chinese and gamble that it will work
long enough to be useful.?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...No=22&blockNo=
97&blockType=G97

No good... These things are huge heavy, and huge loud. The one above is
a contractors generator and will probably not have a spark arrestor
either so it is dangerous around the woods and such.

Like I said, get the Honda, it's light, quiet, dependable...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

The 1000 watt Honda is $859 and the 2000 watt is $999 from Northern
Tool.

On Jun 13, 12:11*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Jun 13, 11:42*am, I_am_Tosk
wrote:

[...]

If I buy the Honda, it will have to be in the category of "Things my
wife does not know how much I spent".

On 13/06/2011 9:18 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
I need to buy a small generator so i can run one power tool at a time
to rebuild my cabin in Wyoming. This means I need less than 2000
watts.
The higher cost models include Honda at over $800, Yamaha at about the
same and Honeywell at about $650 .
The cheaper models are less than $200 but are made in China.
I expect to rarely use this generator and it would never be needed for
emergency purposes.
The Honeywell at $650 is almost reasonable. The cheap Chinese
ones........................?
So, should I follow my own advice and not buy chinese because when
chinese goods break it always costs more money than the diff in
purchase price? Or, should I buy Chinese and gamble that it will work
long enough to be useful.?

I would buy the one that I thought might last the longest. Where it
came from isn't really a big deal, as like HP printers, American name,
foreign guts. More American content in many Toyota compared to many GM...

Do what is best for YOU!!! That is what the unions and corrupt
management do.

As for Chinese, I have had both good and bad. Bought NA brand name weed
eater for $175, it broke, just to find out the engine was Chinese. So I
bought Korean for $50 on a clearance and it will not die.
--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

On 6/13/11 11:18 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
I need to buy a small generator so i can run one power tool at a time
to rebuild my cabin in Wyoming. This means I need less than 2000
watts.
The higher cost models include Honda at over $800, Yamaha at about the
same and Honeywell at about $650 .
The cheaper models are less than $200 but are made in China.
I expect to rarely use this generator and it would never be needed for
emergency purposes.
The Honeywell at $650 is almost reasonable. The cheap Chinese
ones........................?
So, should I follow my own advice and not buy chinese because when
chinese goods break it always costs more money than the diff in
purchase price? Or, should I buy Chinese and gamble that it will work
long enough to be useful.?

1. You'll be surprised to find what what is and what is not "made in
China."

2. There are plenty of top-quality goods made in China. My objection to
Chinese goods is that they produced by workers under near slave labor
conditions.

3. As cheap as you are, you should round up a couple of furry critters
out there and put them on a generating treadmill. When they finish
working for you, you can eat them.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

On Jun 13, 1:30*pm, Canuck57 wrote:
On 13/06/2011 10:49 AM, Harryk wrote:

[...]

Na, tell us what you really mean. *If US ere like China, you woul dhave
to move your fat ass and go to work.

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

HK, the furry critters abandoned ship cuz I don't keep stuff for em to
eat.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:21:11 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

The 1000 watt Honda is $859 and the 2000 watt is $999 from Northern
Tool.

If I buy the Honda, it will have to be in the category of "Things my
wife does not know how much I spent".

I agree with the Honda recommendation. They are light weight, quiet
and reliable. Honda uses a different technology than other small
generators - the engine runs at variable speeds depending on load
requirements. The output is DC (direct current) which then gets
inverted back to 60 cycle AC output. As a result, frequency and
voltage regulation are also much better than most others.

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
The 1000 watt Honda is $859 and the 2000 watt is $999 from Northern
Tool.

If I buy the Honda, it will have to be in the category of "Things my
wife does not know how much I spent".

I agree with the Honda recommendation. *They are light weight, quiet
and reliable. * Honda uses a different technology than other small
generators - the engine runs at variable speeds depending on load
requirements. *The output is DC (direct current) which then gets
inverted back to 60 cycle AC output. *As a result, frequency and
voltage regulation are also much better than most others.

I also like that suggestion. Frog could go with a 500w sine-wave
inverter and hook it up to a 12v battery. My dad did this and did some
pretty good work with a 3/4 hp Chraftsman grinder and little battery
discharge.

Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
Onan Generator General 7 May 11th 04 12:49 AM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
Portable generator [email protected] General 5 April 19th 04 05:47 AM
help on Onan generator [email protected] Cruising 0 November 17th 03 01:49 PM