Default Generator

On 12/24/2012 12:33 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:58:04 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use
.... and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely
not going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and
an annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Apparently my camping use got overlooked. I wouldn't be using it at
campgrounds where electricity is
available, but where I'm either alone or with others on a generator.
I've never, while in
campgrounds in the US, had a need for a generator.

I think the camping comments made by me and others are in response to
your original post where you specifically stated:

"This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,
emergencies."

I don't see how any of us overlooked anything.

When it comes to generators, you get what you pay for. The one you are
looking at is a cheaply made, Chinese import that has a reputation for
being very short-lived. You may balk at the price of an inverter
based Honda or one of it's Yamaha or Suzuki equivalents, but if you
read some of the reviews and people's experiences of the cheap Chinese
generators you will find that you'll go through several of them while
the better ones are still going strong.

I'd also reconsider if you really need 3kw of portable power. The
inverter design (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) 2000 watt is sufficient for most
camping, boating and emergency power applications if you manage the load
put on it. My EU-2000i easily ran a full sized home refrigerator,
couple of incandescent lights, a Direct TV receiver and large flat panel
TV 24/7 for over a week after hurricane Wilma. When I wanted to brew a
pot of coffee, I temporarily unplugged the refrigerator, made the
coffee, then plugged the refrigerator back in. All this time it ran on
the lower RPM range, automatically kicking up briefly for a heavier load
(like when the refrigerator compressor kicked on) and then dropped back
to it's low RPM range after the compressor was running. The generator
you are looking at runs at 3600 RPM continuously, burning more gas than
necessary and, as previously pointed out, is loud.

The other benefit of an inverter type generator is that the output
voltage is a very clean, sine wave. This is important when powering
sensitive devices like computers.

Appliances, like Microwaves, might not work with the cheap square wave
inverters. Honda's are nice. Work hard, last long.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:01:51 PM UTC-4, Eisboch wrote:
"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:32:14 -0500, JustWait

wrote:

On 12/23/2012 10:26 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or

had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,

emergencies.

Oooops, missed he "camping trips" part. Your camp neighbors are

gonna'

hate you for running a contractors genny at the campsite.. Just

sayin'..

At those kinds of campgrounds, electricity is available - wouldn't

need a generator. If camping in a

place where a generator is needed - like off the highway in Canada

somewhere - anyone else around

will be using their generator also.

-------------------------------

Nope. You are wrong. There are electricity-less campsites but they

are typically favored by people who want to truly connect with nature.

They go there to get away from noise, not to microwave hotdogs or run

a coffee maker.

Bingo!
A lot of people like to camp the old simple way ..maybe with a Coleman lantern and stove.

Here's my credit card, where is my room. I had enough camping in shelter
halves and all-weather sleeping bags.

Some of the most beautiful sights in the U.S. can really only be seen by
hiking in and camping. I'm sure glad that I don't miss those
opportunities.

On 12/24/2012 8:27 AM, JustWait wrote:
On 12/23/2012 8:38 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:47:00 -0800, thumper wrote:

On 12/23/2012 2:58 PM, Eisboch wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use ....
and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely not
going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and an
annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Anyone in a nearby tent will especially hate it.

Actually, I can't even think of a place we've stayed where tents were
nearby. Usually the tent area
is well removed from the RV area.

Oh well... Looks like you are gonna' be one of "those guys".... Tent
campers can see you coming a mile away.

Tent camping in a RV park is like camping in your back yard. Why? There
are so many places you can hike to to get away from "it all".

On 12/24/2012 8:47 AM, Meyer wrote:
[...]

Not if you are camping out of necessity... Where we race, there are
usually no rooms available, and we don't have a camper.

wrote:

[...]

Although my wife isn't interested in camping, I could, and have, slept in the back of a stationwagon. Funny...before I bought my last 2 new vehicles, I crawled in back to see if I could sleep in the cargo area if required.
With the back seats down it's a tight fit in the back of the RAV4...laying kitty corner.

[...]

Yur marriage kind of shaky?

wrote:

[...]

Camping out in a tent was a lot of fun when I was a Cub Scout and a Boy
Scout. We didn't have portable generators, of course, so we actually
were camping out. We did have Coleman coolers, ice, lanterns,
flashlights, bug spray, hatchets, et cetera.

In article om,
says...

[...]

Man, you crazy right wingers are sure quick with the ASSumptions.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

You should have bought a man's vehicle like my F150 5.4L V8 SuperCrew.
One person can sleep in the front seat and another can sleep in the back
seat.

In article , says...

wrote:

[...]

Is that how you justify not paying your taxes, that you needed the money
for "Coleman coolers, ice, lanterns, flashlights, bug spray, hatchets,
et cetera."

New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
Buying a generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 30 June 14th 11 05:57 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM