Default Generator

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:27:44 -0500, GuzzisRule
wrote:

Supposedly, this one is 'Super Quiet', with a 70 dB noise level. If I use it at home, it would be
only for a few absolute necessities - with time management. I primarily wanted something I could
throw in the pickup for camping trips where electricity isn't available.

===

70 dB is not super quiet, not at all.

These are reasonably quiet at 53 to 59 dB depending on load level:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU1000IKC-Portable-Generator/p6548.html

70dB is approximately 10 times louder than 59 dB.

Even the small Hondas get annoying after awhile but at 29 pounds are
easy to carry and load into a truck.

wrote:

Supposedly, this one is 'Super Quiet', with a 70 dB noise level. If I use it at home, it would be
only for a few absolute necessities - with time management. I primarily wanted something I could
throw in the pickup for camping trips where electricity isn't available.

===

70 dB is not super quiet, not at all.

I was comparing to other portable generators... Like I said, mine is in
the low eighties, but it's a 6000.

These are reasonably quiet at 53 to 59 dB depending on load level:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU1000IKC-Portable-Generator/p6548.html

70dB is approximately 10 times louder than 59 dB.

Even the small Hondas get annoying after awhile but at 29 pounds are
easy to carry and load into a truck.

Yeah, but you can stand next to one of those EU1's and have a normal
conversation. You can even sleep with one say, 30+ feet away but it
costs a lot to have that luxury...

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:54:33 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

No, but being it's from Harbor Freight, I really wouldn't expect too
much in terms of longevity, but I could be wrong, I bought a 4" grinder
for one project from HF and it's lasted me for 5 years!!!

Ditto on the grinder. Got one myself. I'm starting to believe that the Chinese stuff sold at Harbor
Freight is as good as the Chinese stuff sold at Sears. The 'Craftsman' label doesn't mean a lot
these days.

You bet, I actually went into a Ryobi factory that was making Ryobi
drills. One line had Ryobi blue cases, the other line, Craftsman black
cases. Same drill, only you pay twice as much at Sears.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:24:53 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:26:49 -0500, GuzzisRule
wrote:

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

===

To be honest with you, I don't think you're going to like it very
much, although probably OK for emergency use at the house once in a
while if you and your neighbors can tolerate the (considerable) noise.
You'll need a professional electrician to get it connected properly.

For the house, I'd use extension cords run to the sump pump, refrigerator, small heater (if
necessary), and other appliances as needed. I wouldn't be trying to power the whole house, like
ESAD. I don't need anything like his 250 KW (or whatever).

For camping it is much too heavy and noisy. For camping I'd suggest
an inverter connected to a second battery which you can connect into
your truck's 12 volt system for recharging.

The trailer's already got an inverter, one battery, and two more on the truck. But, if we're in
Alaska, they wouldn't power an electric heater very long.

For the second battery the Sears 31M platinum Diehard would be a good
choice. There are lots of inverter options but something like this
would be big enough to run a small microwave for a few minutes:

I'm thinking of new batteries for the truck before much longer. Any reason you particularly like the
Diehard you referenced? They're expensive as hell, and made by the same company that makes WalMart,
Costco, and other batteries.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|936|1719194&id=1719099

You need short, very heavy cables (#2 wire or bigger) between the
battery and inverter.

Cables are no problem. The generator has a 30amp connection, and I've got 50amp cable with adaptors.
So I should be in good shape as far as the trailer goes.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:52:48 -0500, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 11:29 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:32:14 -0500, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 10:26 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

Oooops, missed he "camping trips" part. Your camp neighbors are gonna'
hate you for running a contractors genny at the campsite.. Just sayin'..

At those kinds of campgrounds, electricity is available - wouldn't need a generator. If camping in a
place where a generator is needed - like off the highway in Canada somewhere - anyone else around
will be using their generator also.

Well, at the risk of being redundant.. 70 is pretty decent for a daytime
generator. At night however, you will not find too many folks running
detached generators unless it's something like the Honda IE or the
Yamaha... They are about as quiet as the built in generators on campers.

Most of the camping we do is tight and crowded, but with no electricity
available. Generally there is a gen of at 10-12 pm depending on the
venue and that goes for all generators, even the internal camper ones...

The 10-12PM gen off rule is pretty widespread, and that's no problem. If we're boondocking it, there
won't be many folks around anyway. If there are, they'll be using their gensets.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:47:15 -0500, Meyer wrote:

On 12/23/2012 11:36 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:47:39 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

How quite is it while in operation?

Supposedly, 70dB. A few of the reviews commented on how quiet it was. I'm sure it's much louder than
the Honda of the same size, but I didn't want to spend over $2000 for a 3KW Honda!

Ya gonna throw a $200 genset in the bed of a $50K pickup? There goes the
neighborhood.

Hey, I'll cover it with a silver plastic tarp or something!

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:54:55 -0500, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 11:36 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:47:39 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

How quite is it while in operation?

Supposedly, 70dB. A few of the reviews commented on how quiet it was. I'm sure it's much louder than
the Honda of the same size, but I didn't want to spend over $2000 for a 3KW Honda!

No, like I said I think 70 isn't bad. Our home gen I think is in the low
80's but it runs the whole house. We keep in under the roof outside and
it's not too bad inside. During storms we can run 24/7 and nobody can
hear it... then again, we are on wooded half acre lots here.

If we need it at home, I'll put it in the outside basement stairwell. It'll be 8' below ground
level, outside, well-ventilated, and easy to keep out of the rain.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:44:16 -0500, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 11:38 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:54:33 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

No, but being it's from Harbor Freight, I really wouldn't expect too
much in terms of longevity, but I could be wrong, I bought a 4" grinder
for one project from HF and it's lasted me for 5 years!!!

Ditto on the grinder. Got one myself. I'm starting to believe that the Chinese stuff sold at Harbor
Freight is as good as the Chinese stuff sold at Sears. The 'Craftsman' label doesn't mean a lot
these days.

I buy the long term protection on everything I buy at harbor freight. I
have one literally 750 yards from my house so they are convenient.

For this generator, two year's worth of insurance is $79, which doesn't seem too bad.

wrote:

Supposedly, this one is 'Super Quiet', with a 70 dB noise level. If I use it at home, it would be
only for a few absolute necessities - with time management. I primarily wanted something I could
throw in the pickup for camping trips where electricity isn't available.

===

70 dB is not super quiet, not at all.

These are reasonably quiet at 53 to 59 dB depending on load level:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU1000IKC-Portable-Generator/p6548.html

70dB is approximately 10 times louder than 59 dB.

Even the small Hondas get annoying after awhile but at 29 pounds are
easy to carry and load into a truck.

.....and cost almost ten times as much! Hell, I'm ex-military, not ex-hedge fund manager or writer
for a union rag.

On 12/23/2012 1:05 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
[...]

Might be a pain in the ass to work with there.. Quite frankly, in a
power outage or storm, at 70 db I wouldn't be too worried about where I
ran it. You might hear it in a room adjoining the part of the yard it's
in, but one room over you probably won't hear it at all. Doubt if your
neighbors will either, unless your houses are real close.

New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
Buying a generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 30 June 14th 11 05:57 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM