Default Generator

On 12/23/2012 3:28 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:00:54 -0500, GuzzisRule
wrote:

I'm thinking of new batteries for the truck before much longer. Any reason you particularly like the
Diehard you referenced? They're expensive as hell, and made by the same company that makes WalMart,
Costco, and other batteries.

===

The reason why the 31M Diehard Platinums are so expensive is because
they are AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) technology. It's the latest and
greatest for long term durability in heavy duty, deep cycle usage.
Unless you deep cycle your truck battery, probably not worth the
expense. For inverter batts however, yes. The Diehards come with a
very good warranty of course, and are spill proof. They are also
available on sale from time to time which makes them a bit more
reasonable.

I just replaced an 8D diesel engine starting battery (155 lbs, $325)
with a pair of the AGM 31Ms in parallel (75 lbs each). The 31Ms are
much easier for my wife to lift over the engine. :-) I've been
averaging about 2 years of life out of the 8Ds so the AGMs will
eventually pay for themselves if I can get an extra year or two out of
them.

Could you run a small cabin heater all night long with one of those
batteries?
Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 23, 3:09*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 14:49:43 -0500, JustWait
wrote:

On 12/23/2012 2:03 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:07:17 -0500, GuzzisRule
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:44:16 -0500, JustWait wrote:

I buy the long term protection on everything I buy at harbor freight.. I
have one literally 750 yards from my house so they are convenient.

For this generator, two year's worth of insurance is $79, which doesn't seem too bad.

I would read that contract very closely. I bet they have an out if it
simply wears out. Otherwise contractors would be burning up a couple a
year and getting them replaced.
A prairie builder usually won't get a year out of a very good
generator but they may put 1500-2000 hours on one by then.

That's exactly what I do at HF.. I buy stuff, and I use it. They know me
and know when I go out the door, I will be back if the tool won't do
what is is guaranteed to do. Never any questions, never any hassles.

My experience at Harbor fright is if you buy their top of the line
tool, it is OK for casual homeowner use but their economy stuff is
only worth the melt weight of the steel.

I've noticed their items that say "Rugged, Heavy Duty construction"
Then I look at the pic and think if that product is 'rugged and heavy
duty' I'd hate to see what the cheap flimsy stuff is...

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or
had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,
emergencies.

I think that if you fire that thing up in a public campground, you'll
get thrown out very quickly.
Way too noisy for camping. Many public campgrounds even frown on the
quiet Hondas.

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:31:03 -0500, JustWait
wrote:

On 12/23/2012 10:26 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or
had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,
emergencies.

Contractor generators are very loud... You will not want to use this
for
home use. We used to use one and had to put it in the detached garage
and run cables to the house or it would keep the whole neighborhood
awake. They are made for construction sites, hope you are not trying
cheap out on a tool, cause if it's home generation you are looking
for,
you probably bought the wrong tool...

Supposedly, this one is 'Super Quiet', with a 70 dB noise level. If I
use it at home, it would be
only for a few absolute necessities - with time management. I
primarily wanted something I could
throw in the pickup for camping trips where electricity isn't
available.

70 db isn't close to being quiet. For comparison, the well known
Honda EU-2000i has a 53/59 db noise level (depending on load).
Every 3 db increase *doubles* the noise level.

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:43:11 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:27:44 -0500, GuzzisRule
wrote:

Supposedly, this one is 'Super Quiet', with a 70 dB noise level. If
I use it at home, it would be
only for a few absolute necessities - with time management. I
primarily wanted something I could
throw in the pickup for camping trips where electricity isn't
available.

===

70 dB is not super quiet, not at all.

These are reasonably quiet at 53 to 59 dB depending on load level:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU1000IKC-Portable-Generator/p6548.html

70dB is approximately 10 times louder than 59 dB.

Even the small Hondas get annoying after awhile but at 29 pounds are
easy to carry and load into a truck.

.....and cost almost ten times as much! Hell, I'm ex-military, not
ex-hedge fund manager or writer
for a union rag.

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use
..... and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely
not going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and
an annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

"GuzzisRule" wrote in message

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:32:14 -0500, JustWait
wrote:

On 12/23/2012 10:26 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or
had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary,
emergencies.

Oooops, missed he "camping trips" part. Your camp neighbors are
gonna'
hate you for running a contractors genny at the campsite.. Just
sayin'..

At those kinds of campgrounds, electricity is available - wouldn't
need a generator. If camping in a
place where a generator is needed - like off the highway in Canada
somewhere - anyone else around
will be using their generator also.

-------------------------------

Nope. You are wrong. There are electricity-less campsites but they
are typically favored by people who want to truly connect with nature.
They go there to get away from noise, not to microwave hotdogs or run
a coffee maker.

On 12/23/2012 2:58 PM, Eisboch wrote:

John, the point is that if you are thinking of it for camping use ....
and plan to stay at public campgrounds ... they are most likely not
going to allow use of a generator like that. It's too noisy and an
annoyance to other campers. You might not mind, but others will
definitely complain. Heck, I remember back when we were into the RV
thing for a while. Campsites didn't like you running the generator
that came with the camper.

Anyone in a nearby tent will especially hate it.

[...]

Bingo!
A lot of people like to camp the old simple way ..maybe with a Coleman lantern and stove.

In article , says...

On 12/23/2012 1:41 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:19:29 -0500, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 1:05 PM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:54:55 -0500, JustWait wrote:

On 12/23/2012 11:36 AM, GuzzisRule wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:47:39 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just ordered this thing, on sale for $279.99. Anyone ever used or had one?

http://tinyurl.com/cz9eobb

This will be used primarily for camping trips and, if necessary, emergencies.

How quite is it while in operation?

Supposedly, 70dB. A few of the reviews commented on how quiet it was. I'm sure it's much louder than
the Honda of the same size, but I didn't want to spend over $2000 for a 3KW Honda!

No, like I said I think 70 isn't bad. Our home gen I think is in the low
80's but it runs the whole house. We keep in under the roof outside and
it's not too bad inside. During storms we can run 24/7 and nobody can
hear it... then again, we are on wooded half acre lots here.

If we need it at home, I'll put it in the outside basement stairwell. It'll be 8' below ground
level, outside, well-ventilated, and easy to keep out of the rain.

Might be a pain in the ass to work with there.. Quite frankly, in a
power outage or storm, at 70 db I wouldn't be too worried about where I
ran it. You might hear it in a room adjoining the part of the yard it's
in, but one room over you probably won't hear it at all. Doubt if your
neighbors will either, unless your houses are real close.

Not much of a hassle. Just for gas every few hours.

Is it a step down bulkhead? Could CO2 be an issue in the basement?

Personally, I'd certainly be more worried about CO than CO2!!!!

New Generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 77 July 3rd 11 03:34 PM
Buying a generator Frogwatch[_2_] General 30 June 14th 11 05:57 PM
Generator Frank General 5 September 21st 04 04:18 PM
portable generator [email protected] Electronics 11 April 23rd 04 05:30 PM
WTB in FL Generator Frank Electronics 0 March 10th 04 11:01 PM