Default Cannibal

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:27:09 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:41:13 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , CaveLamb
wrote:

[snip]

You mean like THIS one???

Richard, Bruce, and Wally. I'm still open to the possibility that
Jessica is a real person, maybe that it a naive statement, but until I
have reason to believe otherwise I'll not add her (as I have Wilbur and
his other puppets) to my killfile.

Actually, now that I'm actually wasting my time discussing her posts (as
I don't see Wilbur's), rather than discussing sailing, I don't think it
matters, I'll add her to the KF and not be bothered by their
conversation regardless of it's on or off topic nature.

Thank you for helping me see sense.

Justin.

Well, I accept that theoretically it is possible that a woman who
appears to be the perfect mate for Willie just happened to click on a
group containing the maladroit mariner. After all miracles are reputed
to still come to pass, although I haven't heard a burning bush say a
word in years.

However I, for one, don't believe it and I suspect that with old age
Willie-boys distaff side is beginning to peep through the foliage.
Given his usual vehement tirades disallowing women to even be onboard
a boat it seems strange that, if the inculpable Jessie is a female,
she should suddenly become the apple of his eye so suddenly now. Just
as he is becoming aware, now in his dotage, that he has never, not
even once, accomplished anything to be proud of.

Cheers,

Bruce

You are allowed to indulge yourself in whatever irrational thinking as is
your wont, Bruce, and you may also insult me all you wish. I'm am not
thin-skinned by any means. However, you should attempt to be more of a
gentlemen when it comes to treating with the ladies. And, mark my words,
Jessica B is a lady.

I was enjoying his rant right up until he called me Jessie... don't
like that AT ALL!

It just so happens that there exists a certain subset of genetically
superior women such as our Jessica B whose genetics express themselves in
both superior bodies as well as intellects. But, such as these are quite
rare. So, perhaps some might be forgiven for their skepticism in regards to
Jessica's obvious perfection which, to us - the more jaded, might seem to be
some sort of a false construct created to ensnare the naive. Is it so
unlikely that such a fine example of womanhood might be drawn towards
discourse with a mature and highly appreciative man who applauds her for
what she is and what she represents and that Jessica might well be attracted
to a man of the mind because she is a woman of the mind?

Genetically superior? Hmm.... well, except for my skin tone, I could
live with that!

Face it! It's not like Jessica's here for any kind of physical
gratification. Any woman who looks as fine as she does most certainly has
plenty of real-life opportunities for that type of thing, wouldn't you say?
This newsgroup is strictly an abode of the imagination. It is a place where
one can express one's self honestly and appreciate others with like
qualities.

Wilbur Hubbard

True... well, I've learned a few things about sailing, so if I ever go
again, I'll be able to say something and not look totally stupid.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

I was enjoying his rant right up until he called me Jessie... don't
like that AT ALL!

I typed 'Jennifer' the other day by mistake instead of 'Jessica' but you
didn't seem to notice it. LOL! Jennifer is a girl I know who is a dolphin
trainer here in the Keys at Theater of the Sea. She used to ride bikes with
us training for triathlons but she came down with Crones disease or
something like that and can't do triathlons anymore because of her digestion
problems. She can't even run anymore or doesn't want to . . .

snip

Genetically superior? Hmm.... well, except for my skin tone, I could
live with that!

Nothing wrong with light skin but I was thinking more along the lines of
genetic superiority that results in a superior mind and wholesome mentality.

Face it! It's not like Jessica's here for any kind of physical
gratification. Any woman who looks as fine as she does most certainly has
plenty of real-life opportunities for that type of thing, wouldn't you
say?
This newsgroup is strictly an abode of the imagination. It is a place
where
one can express one's self honestly and appreciate others with like
qualities.

True... well, I've learned a few things about sailing, so if I ever go
again, I'll be able to say something and not look totally stupid.

Just ask away with the sailing questions if you have some and I will be
happy to provide my opinions or expertise on them. It might even make some
of the people who yell, 'take it to e-mail' less hostile.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:23:53 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

I was enjoying his rant right up until he called me Jessie... don't
like that AT ALL!

I typed 'Jennifer' the other day by mistake instead of 'Jessica' but you
didn't seem to notice it. LOL! Jennifer is a girl I know who is a dolphin
trainer here in the Keys at Theater of the Sea. She used to ride bikes with
us training for triathlons but she came down with Crones disease or
something like that and can't do triathlons anymore because of her digestion
problems. She can't even run anymore or doesn't want to . . .

Really? I must have missed it, but Jennifer is a nice name... a
dolphin trainer? Wow... gets to work with dolphins all day... sounds
like a great life.

snip

Genetically superior? Hmm.... well, except for my skin tone, I could
live with that!

Nothing wrong with light skin but I was thinking more along the lines of
genetic superiority that results in a superior mind and wholesome mentality.

Ok. I can accept that burden!

Face it! It's not like Jessica's here for any kind of physical
gratification. Any woman who looks as fine as she does most certainly has
plenty of real-life opportunities for that type of thing, wouldn't you
say?
This newsgroup is strictly an abode of the imagination. It is a place
where
one can express one's self honestly and appreciate others with like
qualities.

True... well, I've learned a few things about sailing, so if I ever go
again, I'll be able to say something and not look totally stupid.

Just ask away with the sailing questions if you have some and I will be
happy to provide my opinions or expertise on them. It might even make some
of the people who yell, 'take it to e-mail' less hostile.

Wilbur Hubbard

Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Jessica B wrote:

Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:

Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Weight counts but weight isn't the be-all/end-all.

A lighter patent anchor that digs in and buries itself can hold better than
a heavy 'navy type' anchor that does not, for example.

And, too much weight on the bow can be detrimental to the pitching moment of
a small sailboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
[...]

Among my collection of anchors are two Danforth types.
One is steel and heavy. The other is aluminum and very light.
Both are the same size.

What little use I've given them still shows that the heavy anchor
holds better.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
[...]

Those aluminum "Fortress" or Fortress-copy anchors are, indeed, too light
for their size until you get into the largest sizes. If you shipped one of
comparable weight (and thus huge in size) as your Danforth it would hold
better in most conditions where the holding was adequate, bottom
composition-wise, by virtue of it's greater surface area.

But, consider this. Compare a 15 pound Herreschoff fisherman anchor and a 21
pound Danforth. In certain bottoms the Herreschoff will hold like crazy,
(rocky, pitted bottoms mostly where a fluke can fall into a small pit and
snag) while the heavier Danforth will just end up skittering along.

So, weight does matter but it is only one factor. . .

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:51:23 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Jessica B wrote:
[...]

Isn't that sort of obvious? Then why would you carry the lighter one?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:27:05 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:

Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Hi Richard, Well, I guess I was concerned that it would be alot of
space and weight. Aren't there anchors that overlap as far as use
goes?

wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
Ok, so I have a sailing question about anchors... obviously there are
different anchors for different situations, but you don't necessarily
know what you're going to find when you go someplace? So, how do you
decide what anchor to take with you? Clearly, as you said, you can
take two (or three?) but they must eventually get kind of heavy... I
guess there must be guides, but what if you're going to visit several
places and they're all different?

Hopefully, this question is good enough for Justin! Sheesh...

Take them all!

And in the end, weight counts.

Hi Richard, Well, I guess I was concerned that it would be alot of
space and weight. Aren't there anchors that overlap as far as use
goes?

Yes on space and weight. The Rodes especially. I have three now -
250 to 300 feet each. AND chain (need more of that still)

Not really for the overlap...

A Danforth is good with mud and sand.
But it's not great in rocks.

Like Wilbur pointed out, a Herrschoff pattern (and a heavy Navy pattern)
work well in rocky crags.

Fishermen use a mushroom type, but I have no use for that on a sailboat.