Harry Krause

JAXAshby wrote:
hoary, it wasn't all chain. that beer keg was a *serious* buffer.

Harry Krause
Date: 9/28/2004 9:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Gene Kearns wrote:
On 28 Sep 2004 00:38:15 GMT,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

You are trying to say that on LIS all chain rode anchors drag, but
they also rip out deck cleats..... how can it do both? I don't know
that LIS is known for whopper waves, which pretty much lowers your
argument to improper scope, which you alluded to in a previous post...
only to ignore your own words, since they disprove your position.

My parents had a tiny summer cottage adjacent to Long Island Sound for
more than 20 years, and I spent ALL of my summers while growing up in
Connecticut, from June through Labor Day, there.

During hurricanes, we'd get some interesting wind-generated waves,
biggies, but not the monsters you see during the same storms on the
Atlantic. We'd get a big storm surge, too. But most of the time, the
Sound was pretty calm, or a little choppy. Nothing that I couldn't
handle in the small boats my father gave me for summer use. And I mean
small.

There are some parts of the Connecticut side of the Sound where the
shorelines are rocky and the rocks extend out some distance into the
water. During extra low tides, we'd always see underwater structure
revealed that we never knew was there.

Then, as now, most boaters got along with a Danforth anchor, a short
length of chain and...get this...manilla rodes. Yep...real rope, as God
intended.

I had a mooring out in the little cove in front of where we lived. It
was a 100-pound mushroom in 20' of water attached to 80' 0f chain
attached to a stainless steel beer barrel. We yanked the mooring at the
end of each season, and back at my dad's shop, I'd clean off the chain
and in the spring, recoat it with copper anti-foul. We used the SAME
mooring for at least 20 years and even in hurricanes, it never dragged.
Did I say it was all chain?

Nope. My dad welded a heavy stainless steel rod through the keg, and
then welded a stainless eye to each end of the rod. The only purpose of
the keg was to float the chain and provide a place for me to snap a rope
from the bow eye to the buoy. If there were enough eave action, wind or
current, the chain would extend out. As the chain was connected to the
bottom of the buoy via a rod that went through the top, it became, for
all intents and purposes, part of the chain.

Oh...stop top posting.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?
JAXAshby

hoary, the beer keg **********IN USE********* was a
------------------------------------------- serious
---------------------------------------------- buffer.

I know that may be a tad hard for someone like you to understand, what with
your utter lack of knowledge in physics and math, as you fully agreed was true
in your extremely poor showing of just 625 on your math SAT, but just sit there
and be quiet.

The beer keg was one serious buffer, trust me on this one, hoary.

hoary, it wasn't all chain. that beer keg was a *serious* buffer.

Harry Krause

JAXAshby

starting at 12, not 14

Hmmm, well you posted earlier that it was at 14 and you were training
your buddy how to be an aviation mechanic?

too much alcohol in ya junnie. I said 12, and it was 12. I said I taught him
much of what he learned about engines before we graduated high school and he
went on to get an A&E and I went on to study what I studied.
JAXAshby

and, you are too dumb to know how you did it.

genie, you are a pip. you just agreed with me, in total.

ROFLMAO..... that is the most inelegant flip-flop I've ever seen.....

Well, at least you finally admitted you were wrong...... that *is*
the first step to recovery....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

basskisser

"P.Fritz" wrote in message ...
"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:32:57 -0400, something compelled "P.
Fritz" , to say:

Adolescent name calling, such an intellectual rebuttal...........

BTW no need to dream......

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

The only people more stupid than Jax are those that engage him in
"conversation".

Come on.....it's sort of fun to make expose his stupidity.......just like
doing it to asslicker :-)

What a petty little boy you are. Third grade name calling and all.
Certainly you are showing your intelligence, or lack thereof.
LaBomba182

Subject: Anchors are SUPPOSED to drag?
From: Wayne.B

Did you use anchors to spring the boat away from the dock pilings?
Boats rubbing against pilings, or worse yet, riding over a piling top,
seem to be one of the main sources of damage for boats that did not
break loose.

Yes, that is done quite often.

Capt. Bill
JAXAshby

junnie, do you read what you write? if so, why do you hit the "post" button?
you just got done saying that anchoring in 20 knots gusting to 30 involves no
shock loads beyond what you can expect in 2 knots gusting to 3.

what a duffus. hell, junnie, you didn't even score the miserable 625 in math
that even hoary was embarrassed to write about.

btw junnie, wanna tell us what you did score on you math SAT?

"Gene Kearns"
Date: 9/28/2004 2:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 28 Sep 2004 15:15:16 GMT,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

Please point to reference, at any time, to "steady winds with no
waves."

genie, *you* made the arguement that no shock loads were involved, therefore
*you* argued the case of "steady winds with no waves."

dummy. can't you understand your own posts?

Clearly you have me mixed up with somebody else... or you just dreamed
this position up. I never mentioned "steady winds" nor did I mention
"no waves" nor did I imply in any way this was or would be the case.

My point has always been that if shock loads are involved they are
absorbed by a properly sized chain rode payed out over a proper scope.

One doesn't have to position themselves at the end of a long bungee
cord to prevent shock loading..... the link you posted to the formulae
associated with catenaries proves it, as I posted the same link in
support of my position. You now flip-flop again and try to argue both
sides of the matter.

What difference does it make, anyway? You have already pointed out
that in your experience on LIS, the boats drifting at anchor were
caused by improper rode.... not choice of material....unless you feel
that one can use any length of rode successfully just by using a piece
of rope instead of chain. Is that your new position?
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

JAXAshby

genie, an Admiralty court doesn't adjudicate criminal cases.

Thank you for noting that little bit of obvious truth

so, genie, wanna tell us why you stated otherwise?