otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
So ..... In other words, YOU have NO experience using "all" chain,

are you ****ing kidding me? I also have no experience with suicide, but I
ain't also a dumb **** in that either.

So, in other words, you're admitting you don't know what you're talking
about, as per usual....... assumptions based on scanty information

BTW, 20k is just a "fresh breeze", not a "blow"

otn
krj

Does that mean that I am almost always sailing and anchoring in a "blow"
when I sail in the Leeward and Windard Islands where the trades normally
are 20-25 knots?
krj
JAXAshby wrote:
garth, a blow is 20 knots with waves. Under those conditions, an all-chain
rode will jerk the anchor from the bottom unless the boat owner put out a LOT
of scope (more than a proper rode of some chain and a lot of nylon) and/or hung
50 or 100 pounds of dead weight in the middle of the rode.

chain don't stretch, and when the winds pull the chain more or less tight, wind
gusts can and do put HUGE loads on the anchor system, and jerking from wave
actions as put orders of magnitude more load on the system.

Like I said, NObody chains a boat to a dock or rock on shore. Why would anyone
think they can chain a boat to a rock under the water? ans: they don't think
so. they KNOW the anchor will drag. they are just too lazy to use anything
but all chain in their electric windlass.

From: Garth Almgren
Date: 10/3/2004 7:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Around 10/3/2004 3:50 PM, otnmbrd wrote:

JAXAshby wrote:

a.) all chain rode only became popular on recreational boats when boat
owner
got old, fat and bought boats big enough to need need anchors over
20#, and

All chain rodes have been used and reasonably popular since long before
you started going to boat shows.

b.) all chain doesn't hold very well at all in a blow. If you doubt
that,

I do doubt it, especially since you leave "a blow" undefined. Are we
talking hurricane force?

check the anchorages during and after the next blow, see which boats
dragged --
due to an "act of god", of course -- and which did not. then check to
see how
they anchored.

My guess as to how they anchored? One word: Improperly.

Namely, not enough scope of *whatever* kind of rode.

A "blanket" statement, you obviously can't back up with experience and
show that you are unaware that there may be various causes for a boat
dragging which have little to do with the all chain rode.

I'm guessing that all this hypothetical dragging that Jax is talking
about is either due to improper technique or poor bottom, and not what
kind of rode someone chooses to use.

Whatever. For the record, my boat has always had mixed rode. Anyone
anchoring in a 14' open runabout during "a blow" would have to be nuts,
regardless of what kind of rode they're using.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
no, in my case I understand the physics involved, while in your case, over the
knee, you are too fat and lazy to raise an anchor by hand, and too ungainly to
raise a rope/chain rode with an electric windlass.

ROFLMAO Well Doodles, it's one thing to know the "physics involved" and
another to know how to apply them and make them work for the given
equipment and conditions.
You're making it obvious you haven't got a clue as to the practical
application of all the "physics" nonsense you spout.
I have this picture of you sitting on the bow with a laptop, 3-4 anchors
of different types, a mixed bag of rodes, scratching your head whilst
you do a "google" search and try to figure out the "physics" for
anchoring your sailfish.

otn
Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 7:28 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

I've been out in 20 knot winds (not by choice), but I sure wouldn't want
to anchor in them!

Oh, My GOD, garth!!!! two zero nots of wind, and you are frickin ang cored!!!!

Have you thought about taking an English course at your local community
college?

Anyway, in a 14' runabout with 20 knot winds, I'm either at dock or
heading there quickly.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 7:11 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

Why are you comparing an anchor to a rock under the water?

wtf???????????????????????????? are
**********************you*********************** thinking when
**********************************you************* ****************************
claim anchor is not
**************************supposed**************** *********************** to
move?

Try reading that again; You're the one comparing an anchor to an
immovable object like a dock or a huge rock and claiming that an anchor
never moves, not me.

have you any idea what the the word anchor means?

Certainly. Do you have any idea how an anchor is suppose to work?

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 7:09 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

Do you have /any/ idea how much wind force would be required to pull any
appropriate scope of chain *straight*??

yes. but obviously you don't. not even close.

I take that to mean you have no idea. You might try it sometime - I
think you'll be surprised.

go google, little boy. google, and try to catch up with the high school boys,
dumb cluck.

Projecting again, eh? From what postings of yours I've read, it is clear
that you know next to nothing about practical boating.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 7:07 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

Do you have /any/ idea how much wind force would be required to pull any
appropriate scope of chain *straight*??

obviously you don't, or you wouldn't ask such a stupid question.

Clearly I do, and you have absolutely no idea.

Speaking of stupid, why did you respond to this same question three
times? For that matter, why did it take you EIGHT separate posts to
respond to my one?

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
P.Fritz

"Garth Almgren" wrote in message
On 10/3/2004 7:09 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

Do you have /any/ idea how much wind force would be required to pull any
appropriate scope of chain *straight*??

yes. but obviously you don't. not even close.

I take that to mean you have no idea. You might try it sometime - I
think you'll be surprised.

go google, little boy. google, and try to catch up with the high school

boys,
dumb cluck.

Projecting again, eh? From what postings of yours I've read, it is clear
that you know next to nothing about practical boating.

Actually, he knows next to nothing about anything.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 7:04 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

Which won't happen, unless A) you don't have enough scope or B) there is
a _lot_ of freakin' wind.

yeah. a _lot_ of freakin' wind. maybe 20 knots, idgit.

You're joking, right? Surely nobody can be *that* dumb and still breathe
on their own.

Just because I personally don't anchor in 20 knot winds doesn't mean
that nobody can or does, or that they can't or don't use all chain with
great success.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 7:02 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

The nice thing with chain is that the rode *itself* is dead weight. You
can use less scope with an all chain rode than with a mixed or pure
nylon rode.

bull****.

Nope, that's the plain truth. On my honor as an Eagle Scout.

what an abjectly stupid thing to post.

Let's try a simple little experiment: Find yourself a length of chain,
say about 6'.
You *do* know what chain looks like, right? (Hint: A series of links,
usually of made out of metal)

OK. Lift a couple links off the ground, and notice that it feels fairly
light.
Now, lift about half the chain off the ground. A bit heavier, isn't it?
Now, lift the whole thing off the ground. Pretty darn heavy, isn't it?

Like I said, it is it's own dead weight. Plain and simple.
If you deny that, you might as well deny that the sine of pi is 0 or
that the earth isn't flat.

dumb cluck, have you ANY idea what an anchor is?

Clearly more so than you.