Garth Almgren

On 10/3/2004 1:59 PM, JAXAshby wrote:

Wow, stating facts and offering some helpful speculation makes someone
an asshole these days? I had no idea.

you still have no idea.

I have a very good idea, now, that in your world someone who tells the
truth is an asshole.

junnnie has never once stated a fact correctly

I don't know any "junnie" and you weren't talking to him/her anyway. You
replied to me, and called me an asshole for stating the simple facts
that A) My great uncle's boat has used all chain with great success
since the 60's and B) that was not an uncommon practice, nor has it been
for several decades.

You know, I really tried to have a civil discussion with you, but if
you're just going to continue responding to everything with
unsubstantiated opinion and namecalling, I'm done with you.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Ian Malcolm

Gene Kearns wrote:

He didn't get it.... he never does and he never will, because his mind
is made up. Using laboratory grade special circumstances, it has
nothing to do with anything but shock loading caused by specious
g-forces caused by even more specious accelerations.

Jax has some fetish associated with shock absorption, and G-loading.
We have periodically witnessed this with his rantings on all chain
rodes and tethers that will jerk an unhappy sailor in half when his
sailboat is simply pooped. http://tinyurl.com/66bt8

Maybe he cant tell the difference between his G-loading and his
G-string. :-)

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:14:13 -0400, "Gene Kearns"
wrote:

Throw in the concept of "reasonable and prudent," a smidgen of some
partially digested high school physics, and Jax's ability to
infallibly predict the future and the result is some really strange
science.

Gosh, guys.... apologies for forgetting the two best ones:

Not only does Jax consider himself, "All beefcake and a boat," but he
has posted such on the newsgroups (the denizens of which quickly
decided it was *really* "all beefcake and a bloat."

He thinks he looks *so good* in Speedos, he dressed in his, uh,
costume, photographed himself, and posted it on the Internet....

Weird science, indeed....

Now, now, Gene...I've seen a photo of you in your beard, and I know the
only reason you have it is to excite the ladies...and cover your
Speedo...

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?
JimH

wrote:

Throw in the concept of "reasonable and prudent," a smidgen of some
partially digested high school physics, and Jax's ability to
infallibly predict the future and the result is some really strange
science.

Gosh, guys.... apologies for forgetting the two best ones:

Not only does Jax consider himself, "All beefcake and a boat," but he
has posted such on the newsgroups (the denizens of which quickly
decided it was *really* "all beefcake and a bloat."

He thinks he looks *so good* in Speedos, he dressed in his, uh,
costume, photographed himself, and posted it on the Internet....

Weird science, indeed....

How is this crap in any way better than the OT political crap you complain
about Kearns?

JAXAshby

I am absolutely certain, kry joycer kay, that *you* anchor in open to the winds
anchorages day after day.

the rest of the world is rather a bit more intelligence than you are, kry
joycer kay.

Date: 10/4/2004 10:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Does that mean that I am almost always sailing and anchoring in a "blow"
when I sail in the Leeward and Windard Islands where the trades normally
are 20-25 knots?
krj
JAXAshby wrote:
garth, a blow is 20 knots with waves. Under those conditions, an all-chain
rode will jerk the anchor from the bottom unless the boat owner put out a

LOT
of scope (more than a proper rode of some chain and a lot of nylon) and/or

hung
50 or 100 pounds of dead weight in the middle of the rode.

chain don't stretch, and when the winds pull the chain more or less tight,

wind
gusts can and do put HUGE loads on the anchor system, and jerking from wave
actions as put orders of magnitude more load on the system.

Like I said, NObody chains a boat to a dock or rock on shore. Why would

anyone
think they can chain a boat to a rock under the water? ans: they don't

think
so. they KNOW the anchor will drag. they are just too lazy to use

anything
but all chain in their electric windlass.

From: Garth Almgren
Date: 10/3/2004 7:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Around 10/3/2004 3:50 PM, otnmbrd wrote:

JAXAshby wrote:

a.) all chain rode only became popular on recreational boats when boat
owner
got old, fat and bought boats big enough to need need anchors over
20#, and

All chain rodes have been used and reasonably popular since long before
you started going to boat shows.

b.) all chain doesn't hold very well at all in a blow. If you doubt
that,

I do doubt it, especially since you leave "a blow" undefined. Are we
talking hurricane force?

check the anchorages during and after the next blow, see which boats
dragged --
due to an "act of god", of course -- and which did not. then check to
see how
they anchored.

My guess as to how they anchored? One word: Improperly.

Namely, not enough scope of *whatever* kind of rode.

A "blanket" statement, you obviously can't back up with experience and
show that you are unaware that there may be various causes for a boat
dragging which have little to do with the all chain rode.

I'm guessing that all this hypothetical dragging that Jax is talking
about is either due to improper technique or poor bottom, and not what
kind of rode someone chooses to use.

Whatever. For the record, my boat has always had mixed rode. Anyone
anchoring in a 14' open runabout during "a blow" would have to be nuts,
regardless of what kind of rode they're using.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

JAXAshby

that you know next to nothing about practical boating.

garth, it is *you* who claims anchors are SUPPOSED to drag, not me. you
learned that from *your* "practical boating"?

Me? I learned to anchor properly, and thus my biggest concern anchored in a
squall is all those fumb ducks on all chain dragging down on me. One of those
fumb ducks was actually ****ed when I blew my horn five times quicker as he
dragged to within about 50 feet of me before he got his engine started. I was
interferring with his "navigating" by blowing the horn.

please, gorth, stay at the dock.

JAXAshby

For that matter, why did it take you EIGHT separate posts to
respond to my one?

because you made EIGHT (your word) stew ped (the word used by upper half of the
world to describe the idiotic ways of your half of the world) mistakes in one
post.
JAXAshby

Just because I personally don't anchor in 20 knot winds

you don't anchor

doesn't mean
that nobody can or does,

of course. I and many others have done it many times.

or that they can't or don't use all chain with
great success.

"great success" includes dragging, sometime anchors are supposed to do,
according to you. 1984 Newspeak.