Bobsprit

Default The Bent Boom

As far as a Hughes
what the hell is it and the Vindo who cares.
The X-Yachts boat is the only cool one in the bunch.

Like I said, you know nada about boats. The Hughes is a fine S&S design. The
Vindo...well you know what that is.
I've sailed both. You've sailed neither. Today I sailed a Freedom 36.
As far as boat-by-boat experience goes, you're not even close to me. I've got
far more experience after just a few years!

RB
Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Once again you show very little knowledge of cruising or racing. Along
| with more water, a cruiser will carry a dingy, probably a plow anchor or
| at least a larger anchor than a racer, Ice, sleeping bags, maybe a TV
| and VCR, Pots, Dutch oven, Dishes, booze, oars for the dink, fishing
| gear, crab pots, land nets, books, charts, propane tanks, BBQ's, full
| fuel tanks, etc.
|
| for a week long cruise???? Oh, okay!!!

Bob... my boat carries almost all that plus an Avon 6 man Offshore Liferaft
[80lbs], 200 lbs of tools and enough food to last for a week.... as standard
gear. Throw 4 to 6 people with gear on top of that to fill out the weight.

Even at cruising weight... Overproof would kick Alien's sorry butt in any
wind on any Point!!!

CM

Bobsprit

Even at cruising weight... Overproof would kick Alien's sorry butt in any
wind on any Point!!!

Oh, Okay, Mooron.
I can't kick you after that sorry situation you outlined.
Your boat is FAST. Like a ROCKET! Faster than any C&C32, even if handicap says
otherwise.
Enjoy.

RB
Jeff Morris

This is a very strange thread, because it would never occur to a real cruiser to take a
J30 out for a week. (I know its been done many times, but this is not real cruising.)

My water tank alone is 700 pounds - add another 200 in reserves. Fuel is over 300. I
always carry three anchors and four rodes. Dinghy in davits. 50 to 100 pounds of reading
material. TV/VCR, a dozen tapes. I don't carry much ice because I have a freezer. At
least 100 pounds of tools, another 100 in spare parts. Several deck chairs, two tables.
Several water floats. 5 fire extinguishers. Offshore and inshore FWG. Full cookware -
pots, pressure cooker, coffee roaster & grinder, etc. 20 pounds of kitty litter, 20
pounds of dog food. And I won't even go into my kid's Playmobil and America Girl toys.

Actually, when you think of the extras for the kid, and the extras for the pets, that
alone equals the weight of two extra crew members.

I think it would be safe to say that I could lighten by 1500 pounds in a few hours just by
hauling away stuff not bolted down. If I had any desire to race, I'd be doing that, and
more.

And this doesn't consider how much the boat could be lightened in construction - the new
"Express" version is 2000 pounds lighter before commissioning.

Now I know that its possible to cruise "light," and for a few days around LIS you don't
need any extra water or fuel, you can eat ashore every night, you hardly need a change of
cloths. But when I go out I often don't have a firm plan on where we're going, or when
the next fuel stop might be. If we don't go ashore (or aren't near a town) we can pull a
steak out of the freezer or grill a chicken. If something breaks we can fix it without
spending a day searching the town for a spare.

-jeff

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Once again you show very little knowledge of cruising or racing. Along
with more water, a cruiser will carry a dingy, probably a plow anchor or
at least a larger anchor than a racer, Ice, sleeping bags, maybe a TV
and VCR, Pots, Dutch oven, Dishes, booze, oars for the dink, fishing
gear, crab pots, land nets, books, charts, propane tanks, BBQ's, full
fuel tanks, etc.

for a week long cruise???? Oh, okay!!!

Bwahahahahahahahahaa!

RB

Thom Stewart

How can you judge Nutsy?

It might mean something to the group if you ever stayed out longer than
three days.

How in the hell would you know what a cruiser would used for a weeks
cruise. Especially some one who would get out of the Sound and into
water where they could eat the fish and clams (By the way,add a clam
rake to that List)

Even you should carry a couple of beach chairs so the next time you're
on Eton Neck you can spend some time getting sun on SAND CITY ( By the
way, add some beach blankets to that list).

Most cruisers cook their meals on board or on the beach. They don't go
ashore at Port Jeff and eat in a restaurant ( Or McDonald's) Add a
gasoline can to that list for the dingy motor

Out here in the Northwest, right now the spotted shrimp are running.
They are down about 200 ft (Add a shrimp trap and 300 ft of Poly Line
and a few cans of Salmon flavored Cat Food to the list) I don't think
you will ever see 200 feet Depth where you sail. You have to get about
15 miles off shore. That would have made your trip to NO WHERE complete.
Oh well, there is always next year or the year after.

By the way, you don't have to sail any place or anyway to please me.
Where you sail, when you sail, how you sail is your business. No body
else's. That is acceptable. BUT___ don't try tell people how to cruise
that have been doing it for years when you haven't done it yet!!!

And: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!" A Manhattan straight up! Save the ice!

Ole Thom

Capt. Mooron

Oh come on now.... you asked why I wasn't out sailing... you wanted the
truth.

Don't cut me any slack about it... I certainly wasn't holding back prior...
and I won't from here on in.

Handicaps are crap... indicators of probable potential! I'm good enough to
easily overcome a few PHRF points you might have. The Sailcalc numbers show
Overproof to have better SA/Disp Ratio.... and my boat has the same motion
you mentioned evident on Marc's boat.... like a Freight Train.
Bwahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

Face it sucker.... Overproof would kick Alien's sorry butt!! Matter of
fact we could switch boats and I'd still beat you.

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Even at cruising weight... Overproof would kick Alien's sorry butt in any
| wind on any Point!!!
|
| Oh, Okay, Mooron.
| I can't kick you after that sorry situation you outlined.
| Your boat is FAST. Like a ROCKET! Faster than any C&C32, even if handicap
says
| otherwise.
| Enjoy.
|
| RB

Bobsprit

This is a very strange thread, because it would never occur to a real cruiser
to take a
J30 out for a week. (I know its been done many times, but this is not real
cruising.)

My friend cruises his J30 all over. He sails it to Block, around LI and weeks
at a time on the Jersey Coast. He does most of his eating aboard. I can't
imagine why a real cruiser wouldn't take a J30 someplace, should he/she be bent
in that direction. It's a nicely done cabin, lots of room for a couple and
their stuff and is fun to sail. I imagine the Express 30 is also a fun cruiser.

Capt RB
Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| I am correct, but Loco is also correct when he states that the "bodies"
| represent a performance aid rather than imobile cargo.
| Still, my main point stands.

Ack... Ar-r-r-r-r-r-g-g-g-h-h-hh... My heart! Oh my Gawd!! Did Bob just
admit someone else might have a valid point. I see a bright light at the end
of the tunnel...

CM

Bobsprit

How in the hell would you know what a cruiser would used for a weeks
cruise.

We spent a week aboard Ghost last season. We loaded her up and sailed mainly
along the Con. coast. Our longest time aboard Alien this summer was just 4
days, but we were aboard the whole time. In the Spring/summer we're doing
Martha's Vineyard. I guess that'll really upset everyone!
Sorry, Thom. My point about the J30 is 100% correct, no matter what you try to
twist it into.

RB
Bobsprit

Overproof to have better SA/Disp Ratio.... and my boat has the same motion
you mentioned evident on Marc's boat.... like a Freight Train.

Okay, Mooron. Like I said, you have a fast boat!

RB