DSK

Default The Bent Boom

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

.....When you can't identify your own vessel in a mooring field of look
alikes...
the point becomes moot. I can readily Spot a Hans Christian or a Cabo Rico
on a mooring field or at the dock.

Actually, those boats are also mass-produced and not particularly original.
Their design is derived from the gaggle of Colin Archer knock-offs that have
been popular since the mid 1970s or so.

Those lines are timeless and exquisite.
They define grace and power.

There is a Herreshoff Nereia ketch anchored in North West Creek this week. Now
*that* boat is timeless and exquisite. A faux Colin Archer isn't, particularly.

Unless you are racing in a class... why would
you want a boat that looks like every other off the mold knock off??

Because they are cheaper than custom boats... a LOT cheaper. Also, it appeals to
the herd instinct which most human beings have.

OTOH, look at the issue from a utilitarian standpoint. If a boat sails well, is
practical to own, and capable of meeting the demands of the owner, what's wrong
with stamping it out of a mold so lots of other folks can have one, too?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

OTOH, look at the issue from a utilitarian standpoint. If a boat sails well, is
practical to own, and capable of meeting the demands of the owner, what's wrong
with stamping it out of a mold so lots of other folks can have one, too?

Poor Mooron doesn't even know he has a cookie cutter boat!

RB
Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Excuse me but I have told you before that the J30 you seem to love is
| considered a light air dog.
|
| Only as a racer, dummy. We're not talking racing. Can you ever switch
gears?
| As a cruiser, the J30 is a good light air boat.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

CM

Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| OTOH, look at the issue from a utilitarian standpoint. If a boat sails
well, is
| practical to own, and capable of meeting the demands of the owner, what's
wrong
| with stamping it out of a mold so lots of other folks can have one,
too?

| Poor Mooron doesn't even know he has a cookie cutter boat!

Oh sure I do.... but try and find more than 6 of them in North America
Bob.... Bwahahahahahahahaaa!!

CM

Capt. Mooron

"DSK" wrote in message

| Actually, those boats are also mass-produced and not particularly
original.
| Their design is derived from the gaggle of Colin Archer knock-offs that
have
| been popular since the mid 1970s or so.

Have you ever seen Cabo Rico 38... no way it's a Collin Archer knock off.
Hans Christian .. sure but let's face it.. it's an excellent boat.

| There is a Herreshoff Nereia ketch anchored in North West Creek this week.
Now
| *that* boat is timeless and exquisite. A faux Colin Archer isn't,
particularly.

Some Collin Archer designs are just butt ugly. I'll agree with that.

| Because they are cheaper than custom boats... a LOT cheaper. Also, it
appeals to
| the herd instinct which most human beings have.

Nothin' wrong with that either Doug... I never claimed there was. I stated
it was plain and ordinary... which they are. Bob goes on and on and on about
what amounts to as just another plug in a production line of 50,000. Big
Deal!

| OTOH, look at the issue from a utilitarian standpoint. If a boat sails
well, is
| practical to own, and capable of meeting the demands of the owner, what's
wrong
| with stamping it out of a mold so lots of other folks can have one, too?

Nothing at all.... but trying to sell a mule as a thoroughbred is just
plain stupid.

CM

DSK

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Have you ever seen Cabo Rico 38... no way it's a Collin Archer knock off.

No, it's a vaguely L.Francis Herreshoff-like pirate boat knock off for people
who want to brag that their boat is more expesnive than a Cheoy Lee.

Sorry, doesn't do much for me. They could still be very nice boats from the
standpoint of comfort & practicality, but to my eye they are not exceptional.
But then, I've been spoiled.....

BTW Cabo Rico did built at least one heavy double ender in the 32 ~ 35 foot
range, not sure what it was.

Hans Christian .. sure but let's face it.. it's an excellent boat.

They have a reputation of being well built, but the ones I've seen seem to have
about the same number of problems as other less bragged about boats. Never
inspected one closely so I can't comment on build quality.

| There is a Herreshoff Nereia ketch anchored in North West Creek this week.
Now
| *that* boat is timeless and exquisite. A faux Colin Archer isn't,
particularly.

Some Collin Archer designs are just butt ugly. I'll agree with that.

And some are cheesy fakes. The Valiant is a non-cheesy fake, Bob Perry designed
it partially to show that all the baggy-wrinkle and gunport wanna-bees would
jump on a fin keel light displacement boat if it looked piratey enough. He even
said so in print! But it happens to be a well built and smart sailing boat,
other than the lack of reserve bouyancy aft....

| Because they are cheaper than custom boats... a LOT cheaper. Also, it
appeals to
| the herd instinct which most human beings have.

Nothin' wrong with that either Doug... I never claimed there was. I stated
it was plain and ordinary... which they are. Bob goes on and on and on about
what amounts to as just another plug in a production line of 50,000. Big
Deal!

Agreed.

| OTOH, look at the issue from a utilitarian standpoint. If a boat sails
well, is
| practical to own, and capable of meeting the demands of the owner, what's
wrong
| with stamping it out of a mold so lots of other folks can have one, too?

Nothing at all.... but trying to sell a mule as a thoroughbred is just
plain stupid.

heh heh not as stupid as buying a mule and running around bragging about your
new thoroughbred...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jeff Morris

Am I missing something? The only listing for a C&C 32 is 165. However, you're using the
ratings for 1997. If you go to the current list, for 2003
http://www.yralis.org/2003/base_ratings.html
you've been down-rated to 171. Further, this is only when flying a spinnaker. Without,
your sister ships are racing at 183.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Somewhere the C&C32 may be rated at 152, but in the light air LIS they are
rated 171.

rated 159-166 here, Jeff.
Sorry.
http://www.pipeline.com/~wayneb/phrflis.htm#j

RB

Jeff Morris

No, you're the person trying to prove your boat speed by using PHRF ratings. I just point
out that your new boat and your old boat are racing in your area with the same handicap.

Further, two Nonsuch 30's, generally considered light air dogs, and not very good for
round the buoy racing, are actually racing with a much lower handicap than your boat does.

And even the Nordica 30 isn't that far off.

All you've done is showed that your boat might not be as fast as you keep claiming it is.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
And you'd race even with your old P30.

So, Jeff...you think a Pearson 30 is faster than a C&C 32???

RB

Bobsprit

Oh sure I do.... but try and find more than 6 of them in North America

You own a failed design, just like Loco. There are very few Expresses around as
well.

RB
Bobsprit

No, you're the person trying to prove your boat speed by using PHRF ratings. I
just point

Oh, so then you agree with me. Thanks.

RB