Bobsprit

Default The Bent Boom

Wouldn't a good sailor replace a bent, and probably weakened spar before
ordering a new set of sails?

Here's a pic showing the CLEARLY damaged boom of Capt. Neal's worn out Coronado
27.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Closehaul2.jpg

It's clearly compromised. Also clearly bent in this photo...

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Reaching.jpg

What a disaster. What a shame. What an eyesore! Why not add a new ugly colored
set of cushions to that boat to top it off? Oh...you already did.

Capt RB

Bobsprit

How does one properly set the sails with boom being bent
or does it matter-

The boom, being bent, will never let a sail set correctly. Still worse, the
strength of the boom has most probably been compromised. It's also an ugly
thing to see on any boat. The boom should be replaced, but the darn fool
ordered sails instead!

RB
NH_/\)_

The picture looks like both mast and boom are bent, how much to replace
both of them?. If he ordered sails instead this tell me to replace the
boom and
mast costs are much more. Seems like he would want newer. Instead of
what looks to be old aluminum.

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
How does one properly set the sails with boom being bent
or does it matter-

The boom, being bent, will never let a sail set correctly. Still worse,

the
strength of the boom has most probably been compromised. It's also an ugly
thing to see on any boat. The boom should be replaced, but the darn fool
ordered sails instead!

RB

Bobsprit

The picture looks like both mast and boom are bent, how much to replace
both of them?. If he ordered sails instead this tell me to replace the
boom and

I don't see any indication that the mast is damaged. Replacing the boom would
be easy and not that expensive. He might even do it for free as the rig size is
pretty common. Of course, finding the exact boom might not happen, which shows
how foolish he was to order new sails first.
Ass-backwards lubberly thinking by Capt. Neal...as always. You note he's not
defending this point. How could he? The boom is BENT!

RB

NH_/\)_

Having learned that the boom can or will bend.
I found this site to be interesting.

http://www.optimistusa.com/OptimistLASpars.asp

NH_/)_

Per Elmsäter

Well I'm going to have to speak up for the fine Captn here. If he has
ordered sails that are loose footed it does not matter the least whetther
the boom is bent or not.
I also have a vague memory of discussing his boom a couple of years ago, in
another context ofcourse. If I recollect he seemed to have done something to
the boom that will never allow it to break. Possibly bend but not break.

The boat of the fine Capt is truly a bluewater vessel ready for any weather.
The only thing that outdoes the vessel is her skipper that will surely see
to it she never will get caught unexpectedly in foul weather.

You guys are just jealous. With due rights of course.

NH_/)_ wrote:
One more comment then I will return the floor back to the experts :-)

Aluminum being that old would naturally bend -- its a softer metal
and I'm sure back then the quality -- stability was not great.

I would like to know more how the mast and boom are made
---what materials the use today if someone would like to email me

NH_/)_

--
Perre

Simple Simon

Booby,

Good troll for once. But, perhaps you did not read the
discussion of why the boom is bent, how it was repaired
to be stronger than when new and how the bend actually
flattens the sail as is the very same case when one pre-bends
they racing machine masts. In spite of what you may think,
a bent boom is a good thing when it's internally reinforced
to be stronger than ever.

So, let me explain. The boom broke in two at the aft bale
for the center-boom sheeting while I was beating out of
St. Augustine, FL ship channel in a gale. I should have reefed
but I underestimated the winds and seas figuring I could beat
out and then turn south and reach like hell for Miami under full
sail.

When I was about halfway out to the seabuoy after several tacks
I misjudged an oncoming wave that was about eight feet tall and
stuffed the bow just as I was coming about. The mainsail snapped
across fast as a speeding bullet and the force of the wind and effects
of the offending wave buckled the boom at the bale. I turned
and ran back in under jib and flapping main which I struggled
to get under control as I dropped it and gasketed it as best
as I could.

I repaired the boom the following week after much thought. I
used three lengths of galvanized iron water pipe. One length of
a diameter that fit snugly into the large part of the egg-shaped
boom and two smaller diameter pipes that fit above the larger
pipe into the upper (pointed) part of the egg-shaped boom.

I found the correct sized so I had to hammer the pipes into
the boom and hammer the end of the boom onto the pipes
even after having coated all surfaces with silicone rubber.

After fitting the boom back together like this I drilled and
tapped the boom and inner GIP for machine screws and
re-fitted the bales for the mid-sheet boom.These inner
pipes are five feet long and extend two and one half feet
on either side of the break. The ends are radiused to
eliminate strain sharp edges might cause. The cut ends
were painted with zinc chromate paint so they would not
rust and also coated with silicone rubber sealant. The
same thing was done on the cut ends of the aluminum boom.
The boom is sealed and does not leak. It's a little heavier
but stronger than stock boom.

As for the bend. Please look at the masts on racing sailboats.
You will note many have quite a bit of bend induced in the mast.
This makes the sail flatter and more aerodynamic. So far these
idiots haven't induced bend in their booms but once they figure
it out they will and they will go faster and have more tuning options.

I hope this helps because you need all the help you can get.

S.Simon - a sailor with a custom boom that is strong and fast.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
Wouldn't a good sailor replace a bent, and probably weakened spar before
ordering a new set of sails?

Here's a pic showing the CLEARLY damaged boom of Capt. Neal's worn out Coronado
27.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Closehaul2.jpg

It's clearly compromised. Also clearly bent in this photo...

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Reaching.jpg

What a disaster. What a shame. What an eyesore! Why not add a new ugly colored
set of cushions to that boat to top it off? Oh...you already did.

Capt RB

Bobsprit

The boat of the fine Capt is truly a bluewater vessel ready for any weather.

Per, what kind of sad troll is this?
For shame!

Bent boom? Unbreakable? Oh, okay!

Bwahahahaha!