Bobsprit

Default The Bent Boom

So far these
idiots haven't induced bend in their booms but once they figure
it out they will and they will go faster and have more tuning options.

Inducing a bend in the boom may create a usable set, but the ability to return
it to its straight condition is usually sought.
You don't own a boat that can race. Your story regarding the boom is
impressive. A less clever individual would have suspected that the original
boom was poor and replaced it outright with a better one.
Some sailor you're turning out to be! I suspect you cranked the vang and SNAP
and that this happened at the mooring.

RB
Bobsprit

S.Simon - a sailor with a custom boom that is strong and fast.

A fast boom? Perhaps it can be fitted to a faster boat?

RB
Vito

Bobsprit wrote:

Here's a pic showing the CLEARLY damaged boom of Capt. Neal's worn out Coronado 27.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Closehaul2.jpg

Thanks!! You just saved me $1000! I was about to order a kit to replace
my transom mounted traveller, et al, with a mid-boom rig like the one
shown bending Capt. Neal's boom!
Simple Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
S.Simon - a sailor with a custom boom that is strong and fast.

A fast boom? Perhaps it can be fitted to a faster boat?

Then, you'll NEVER see it on a C&C 32. Bwaaaahahahhahahaha!

S.Simon - Booby's mentor.

Thom Stewart

RB & Nh/,

The Boom on Simples boat was broken in two. He is saying now it was
broken in a Gale.

What ever but the truth is he converted a end sheeted boom to a mid
sheeted boom and it couldn't take the load of the tack without the
sheet.

The repairs he made was to insert Galv pipes inside the boom. The boom
is probably three times heavier but should be strong enough now.

Now RB, you are showing your lack of sailing knowledge, once again!

The Simpleton has said he ordered a main with a shelf. Now anyone, with
the least amount of sailing knowledge, knows that a shelved main sets
exactly as a free footed main. The bearing points being at the tack and
the clew. The shelf only fills in the void between the foot and the
boom. It has nothing to do with trim or how the sail sets. It is made of
a very stretchy material that has no effect on sail set. The boom could
be a "C" shape or even a :^) "Wish Bone"

RB get some smarts! Enlarge your brain some to match you GREAT BIG
MOUTH!

AND; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Bobsprit

Thanks!! You just saved me $1000! I was about to order a kit to replace
my transom mounted traveller, et al, with a mid-boom rig like the one
shown bending Capt. Neal's boom!

Coronado was a very cheap builder, probably the poorest of them all. What
happened to Neal's boom is an indication of how these boats should be avoided,
even as starter boats.
Neal's solution...glue to hunks of defective metal back together and re-enforce
them at the expense of greater weight. Not exactly an ideal long term solution.
It's a novice repair at best.
As for mid boom sheeting. My C&C 32 has it. If I planned to keep the boat
longer, I'd probably change it to the superior end boom set-up.

RB
Simple Simon

Hey, Booby what you don't seem to understand is at the end
of my boom there's a stainless steel tang to which I can attach
a block and tackle so I can easily fit end-boom sheeting in heavy
weather. This should be the case on all boats with mid-boom
sheeting. Is your boat equipped with end-boom sheeting options?

Probably not!

I rest my case.

S.Simon - I know it ALL!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
Thanks!! You just saved me $1000! I was about to order a kit to replace
my transom mounted traveller, et al, with a mid-boom rig like the one
shown bending Capt. Neal's boom!

Coronado was a very cheap builder, probably the poorest of them all. What
happened to Neal's boom is an indication of how these boats should be avoided,
even as starter boats.
Neal's solution...glue to hunks of defective metal back together and re-enforce
them at the expense of greater weight. Not exactly an ideal long term solution.
It's a novice repair at best.
As for mid boom sheeting. My C&C 32 has it. If I planned to keep the boat
longer, I'd probably change it to the superior end boom set-up.

RB

Thom Stewart

Cripes Simple,

I just sent a reply to Nutsy explaining that the bend on a shelf main
sets only on tack and clew. The shelve doesn't effect the sail trim. I
thought you knew this!!

I advised Nutsy to enlarge his brain to match his big mouth. Maybe you
better think about it.

If the downward pressure on the shelf would flatten the sail then it
wouldn't be a shelf. It is of material to fill the void but not effect
the sail trim. That is why it got its' name. When the foot gets a belly
in it the light, stretchy material looks like a shelf.

You better go back and re-think your discussion with Loco. Maybe your
sails don't have a shelf?

Ole Thom