Matt & Kim

Default Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom

Need help from some experienced sailors...

A few years ago, I bought a used 12' sailboat to teach myself how to
sail on a local lake. I don't even know the model offhand, but I
think it's a pretty basic rig with mast, boom, and jib (which I never
use).

Last week, when sailing in heavy winds, the boom completely broke off.
More specifically, there are two holes drilled through the metal end
of the boom which attach it via pins to the gooseneck, and both holes
were ripped through -- essentially making the boom itself (I believe)
beyond repair.

Here's my question: is it possible to buy a replacement boom, and how
standard is such equipment? Will I need to buy one for exactly this
model of boat or are they fairly interchangeable? Will exact
dimensions be required? Is there a good place on-line where I could
order such a part?

Any specific thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I was really
having fun, but sailing without a boom isn't very appealing.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:53:52 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On 13 Jul 2003 19:41:23 -0700, (Matt & Kim) wrote:

[...]

I would guess it can be welded.

Casady

If it is the normal aluminum tubing that most small boats use for
spars it can be welded and if the welder is qualified probably can be
arc welded using standard welding machines. Tell the welder it is 6061
T-4 and you don't care about the heat treatment. If he understands
that let him have at it.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On 13 Jul 2003 19:41:23 -0700, (Matt & Kim) wrote:

Just thought I'd mention that the original post was in 2003...

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:39:05 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On 13 Jul 2003 19:41:23 -0700, (Matt & Kim) wrote:

Just thought I'd mention that the original post was in 2003...

Either that or the date in their computer was wrong. Been there, done
that and got a tee shirt. Says "day late, dollar short" right there on
the front :-)

wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On 13 Jul 2003 19:41:23 -0700, (Matt & Kim) wrote:

Just thought I'd mention that the original post was in 2003...

Either that or the date in their computer was wrong. Been there, done
that and got a tee shirt. Says "day late, dollar short" right there on
the front :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Yeah, I've got a few of those myself...

Hey Bruce, have you seen the movie "Morning Light"?

--

Richard Lamb

Hey Bruce, have you seen the movie "Morning Light"?

Nope. We don't go out to the movies much and the TV is all Thai
programs. No late night movie :-(

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

It's one of my very favorite DVDs.

It's a documentary about a bunch of kids that Roy Disney
invited to sail his TP52 in the Transpac race in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Light

http://www.sailingworld.com/article/...-Morning-Light

Highly recommended, if you ever get the chance.

--

Richard Lamb

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:14:51 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

It's one of my very favorite DVDs.

It's a documentary about a bunch of kids that Roy Disney
invited to sail his TP52 in the Transpac race in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Light

http://www.sailingworld.com/article/...-Morning-Light

Highly recommended, if you ever get the chance.

========

Yes, we saw it in Key West a few years ago with some of the
participants. Very good sailing movie.