Brian Whatcott

Default Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom

Take the boom to a welder and ask him to make it good.
Shouldn't cost much

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On 13 Jul 2003 19:41:23 -0700, (Matt & Kim) wrote:

Need help from some experienced sailors...

A few years ago, I bought a used 12' sailboat to teach myself how to
sail on a local lake. I don't even know the model offhand, but I
think it's a pretty basic rig with mast, boom, and jib (which I never
use).

Last week, when sailing in heavy winds, the boom completely broke off.
More specifically, there are two holes drilled through the metal end
of the boom which attach it via pins to the gooseneck, and both holes
were ripped through -- essentially making the boom itself (I believe)
beyond repair.

Here's my question: is it possible to buy a replacement boom, and how
standard is such equipment? Will I need to buy one for exactly this
model of boat or are they fairly interchangeable? Will exact
dimensions be required? Is there a good place on-line where I could
order such a part?

Any specific thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I was really
having fun, but sailing without a boom isn't very appealing.