Default Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:53:52 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

Any specific thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I was really
having fun, but sailing without a boom isn't very appealing.

I would guess it can be welded.

On a boat and boom that small I think you could get away with filling
the end of the boom with JB Weld and then redrilling/tapping. It's
amazingly tough stuff.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:14:51 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Hey Bruce, have you seen the movie "Morning Light"?

Nope. We don't go out to the movies much and the TV is all Thai
programs. No late night movie :-(

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

It's one of my very favorite DVDs.

It's a documentary about a bunch of kids that Roy Disney
invited to sail his TP52 in the Transpac race in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Light

http://www.sailingworld.com/article/...-Morning-Light

Highly recommended, if you ever get the chance.

We have an enormous choice in pirate disks here. In fact there is a
far greater selection in the pirate shops then in the legitimate
places, so next time I'm by I'll have a look and see whether I can
find it.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

Any specific thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I was really
having fun, but sailing without a boom isn't very appealing.

I would guess it can be welded.

On a boat and boom that small I think you could get away with filling
the end of the boom with JB Weld and then redrilling/tapping. It's
amazingly tough stuff.

You undoubtedly could. A mate of mine - The Fiberglass Guy - once
repaired a 6 inch dia. aluminum spinnaker pole by making a fiberglass
sleeve to fit inside and then gluing the whole thing together. When it
was hardened we drilled it and installed some pop rivets. He reckoned
that it probably didn't make it much stronger but it looked stronger.
In any event the boat sailed the King's Cup week with no problems and
as far as anyone knows is still using the pole three years later.

wrote:

[...]

LOL, I came real close to misunderstanding that.

The absolute worst movies I've seen lately are *Hollywood* pirate flicks...
(Pirates of the Caribbean).

I found "History of the TransPac" on Netflicks.
That was great. Interesting stuff, and educational without being boring.

So, other than "Wind", what else is worth watching?

--

Richard Lamb

wrote:

[...]

All of the Horatio Hornblower movies, ditto "Master and Commander".

"Dead Calm" with Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill and Billy Zane.

"White Squall" with Jeff Bridges.

"Perfect Storm"

"Mutiny on the Bounty"

"Shackleton"

[...]

I have all the rest of these, but didn't know about Shackleton.
Netflicks has it rated 4 start!

Looking forward to it.

Thanks, Wayne

--

Richard Lamb

Default Movies (was) Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
"Dead Calm" with Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill and Billy Zane.

"White Squall" with Jeff Bridges.

"Perfect Storm"

Dead Calm has mostly the opportunity to see a very young Nicole Kidman's
bare backside. It's an interesting story, but the end section leaves a lot
to be desired in realism terms, particularly the pickup :{))

White squall has some very nice reality touches in that (at least it's what
I remember) it's a true story

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:17:38 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

Bach's first book, Stranger to the Ground. was not bad. It has been
downhill from there. If the ****er tells me my cancer is a gift that I
need I will break his bones.

Casady

news
wrote:

"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

Bach's first book, Stranger to the Ground. was not bad. It has been
downhill from there. If the ****er tells me my cancer is a gift that I
need I will break his bones.

Casady

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your cancer... What is it, and what's the prognosis?

I think Stranger to the Ground was his delivery flight in the USAF? If so,
that's the one I liked least. If it was another of his flight-related
personal narratives, I like it, as there's not been any I've not, other than
the USAF delivery. I've not read JLSeagull, but thoroughly enjoyed Biplane,
Illusions, and what might have been his last one, about his getting married,
name now forgotten...

L8R

Skip, having to be content to fly under water, briefly, coming up for a
"landing" to refuel (another lungful) way too often

wrote:

White squall has some very nice reality touches in that (at least it's what
I remember) it's a true story

Unfortunately it is a very true story. The real Captain Sheldon
spent some of his later years working as dockmaster at our old club in
Connecticut. No one that I know ever talked to him about his loss.