Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:48:32 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:53:52 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

Any specific thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I was really
having fun, but sailing without a boom isn't very appealing.

I would guess it can be welded.

On a boat and boom that small I think you could get away with filling
the end of the boom with JB Weld and then redrilling/tapping. It's
amazingly tough stuff.

You undoubtedly could. A mate of mine - The Fiberglass Guy - once
repaired a 6 inch dia. aluminum spinnaker pole by making a fiberglass
sleeve to fit inside and then gluing the whole thing together. When it
was hardened we drilled it and installed some pop rivets. He reckoned
that it probably didn't make it much stronger but it looked stronger.
In any event the boat sailed the King's Cup week with no problems and
as far as anyone knows is still using the pole three years later.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)