Bobsprit

Default The Bent Boom

S.Simon - slim and fit.

Not fitter than me! And worse...you're old and weak!

RB
Jonathan Ganz

Huh? The Catalina had a alum mast.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Goes to show you can't rely on wood.

S.Simon - an all aluminum sailor

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

It was a mast, not a boom, and it happened to one of my
students, not I.

"NH_/)_" wrote in message
m...

How does one properly set the sails with boom being bent
or does it matter--after hearing what happened to Ganz, that's a scary
thought.

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Wouldn't a good sailor replace a bent, and probably weakened spar

before
ordering a new set of sails?

Here's a pic showing the CLEARLY damaged boom of Capt. Neal's worn

out
Coronado
27.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Closehaul2.jpg

It's clearly compromised. Also clearly bent in this photo...

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Reaching.jpg

What a disaster. What a shame. What an eyesore! Why not add a new

ugly
colored
set of cushions to that boat to top it off? Oh...you already did.

Capt RB

SAIL LOCO

I suppose the simple one could just have the sailmaker design the new main
allowing for the extra draft of the bent boom. No problem.
It's also obvious in the photo that the boom has been bent because of the use
of one of those unsailor like mid boom cabin top mainsheet systems. I guess he
could flip the boom over and in time it would either straighten itself out or
be bent in the other direction.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

SAIL LOCO

Until he tries pulling the outhaul tight, and gets a bit too
passionate about it.

No, with his silly mainsheet what will happen is that one day he'll do a heavy
air jibe and the boom will just fold up.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

I repaired the boom the following week after much thought. I
used three lengths of galvanized iron water pipe.

I'd hate to get hit in the head with that.
If you really gave it much thought you would have bought a new boom.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

I'd hate to get hit in the head with that.
If you really gave it much thought you would have bought a new boom.

Yup! Even a love tap will be fatal to the late never great Capt. Neal!

RB
Thom Stewart

RB,

You are making a rather large troll over a bent boom and how it looks. I
don't think it looks even half as bad as that 2nd story ladder on the
back of your ( or Susy's) boat.

OT

Bobsprit

don't think it looks even half as bad as that 2nd story ladder on the
back of your ( or Susy's) boat.

You're comparing a ladder, which is a inexpensive little item to change, to a
sailinboat's compromised primary propulsion system.

RB