Jeff Morris

Default What If #4-Answer

"Donal" wrote in message
Atlantic Ocean. If I headed East I would hit Cape Finisterre, more or

less. Of
course, the prevailing wind is from the West, so most of the time I'm in

the lee
of a continent. Last Summer we did 20+ miles up or down the coast about

10
times.

Wow! **20** miles, huh? "Up and down the coast", huh?

Sorry if my effort to be honest was lost on you - 20 miles is the shortest trip
we took, and that's measured from the harbor entrance about 10 miles from our
berth. We also went to Provincetown, about 50 miles and Martha's Vineyard,
around 100+ miles. In a few weeks we'll (hopefully) go to Maine - The first leg
is about 180 miles 30 miles offshore.

In the 5 years we've had this boat we've logged about 8000 miles, ranging from
Toronto to Maine, to Florida.

I'm beginning to understand how Bobsprit passes himself off as an
experienced sailor. I've always felt that I was a novice compared to most
of this group. You make me feel that I am an old sea dog.

I sure you have some experience. You just like to act like someone whose
knowledge is all from a book they plan to read someday. Pretty funny shtick you
have there.

On two of those days we had conditions that forced us to seal up the
boat - the Cape Cod Canal episode I've mentioned, and the day following

where we
had 25 to 30 knots onshore following 4 days of heavy weather offshore, so

the
chop was 4-5 feet.

4 to 5 feet??? That MUST have been really awful! Your crew didn't panic,
did they

They weren't happy when we dove through an 8 foot square wave - I thought it was
fun, but I could see to was the worst of the set.

BTW, the chop is measured on top of the longer swells - total wave height was
considerably higher, but only the steep component is worth mentioning. You'll
learn about this when you read that book.

I checked out the wave heights for your neighborhood - for the next several days
it will be 1 foot or less. It sounds pretty rough out there, you better batten
down your Bendytoy.

Donal

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote in message
[...]

I'm quite surprised that you accuse me of using "book" knowledge. I've made
some big gaffs here over the years - and most of them have been due to the
fact that I post the truth as I see it.

I've learned an awful lot from this ng, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
You, on the other hand, seem to feel that you are so experienced that you
can only dispense wisdom. I am fortunate enough to be able to absorb
wisdom. I guess that I am luckier than you.

We all sail in completely different waters. Our communication gives us the
ability to learn from one another. I've learned things from reading your
posts.

BTW, the chop is measured on top of the longer swells - total wave height

was
considerably higher, but only the steep component is worth mentioning.

You'll
learn about this when you read that book.

I checked out the wave heights for your neighborhood - for the next

several days
it will be 1 foot or less. It sounds pretty rough out there, you better

batten
down your Bendytoy.

Hmmmm! You are beginning to sound like Bobsprit.

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

I am fortunate enough to be able to absorb
wisdom. I guess that I am luckier than you.

Guess again. Jeff bought a good quality boat. He has managed to avoid your
mistake.

RB
Jeff Morris

"Donal" wrote in message
I sure you have some experience. You just like to act like someone whose
knowledge is all from a book they plan to read someday. Pretty funny

shtick you
have there.

I'm quite surprised that you accuse me of using "book" knowledge. I've made
some big gaffs here over the years - and most of them have been due to the
fact that I post the truth as I see it.

No Donal, I didn't accuse you of using "book" knowledge. I accused you of
stating what you assumed must be in the book, because it made sense to you.

I've learned an awful lot from this ng, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
You, on the other hand, seem to feel that you are so experienced that you
can only dispense wisdom. I am fortunate enough to be able to absorb
wisdom. I guess that I am luckier than you.

You're being quite the hypocrite here. I only said the each skipper should make
there own decision based on their boat and the situation. You're the one who
dogmatically proclaimed "Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is
underway." Now, if you had said that you always do it, because of the nature
of your boat, or the area you sail, or the size of the crew, it would have been
an interesting, informative post. But you declared unequivocally, for all
boats, for all situations, for all time, "Hatches are always sealed when a
sailing boat is underway."

Now you're accusing me of only be capable of "dispensing wisdom" because I've
offered situations where perhaps your dogmatic rule doesn't apply. You're a
real piece of work, Donal.

We all sail in completely different waters. Our communication gives us the
ability to learn from one another. I've learned things from reading your
posts.

And I yours. I'm just yanking your chain here.

BTW, the chop is measured on top of the longer swells - total wave height

was
considerably higher, but only the steep component is worth mentioning.

You'll
learn about this when you read that book.

I checked out the wave heights for your neighborhood - for the next

several days
it will be 1 foot or less. It sounds pretty rough out there, you better

batten
down your Bendytoy.

Hmmmm! You are beginning to sound like Bobsprit.

Now that's a low blow! BTW, I did realize one factor I had ignored from your
weather report: the temperature there is only 60 degrees - if it's that cold
when I go out, I have the hatches closed too! We were sealed up today because
it was only 70. The issue gets more important when the air temp is over 90 and
the water is over 80.

Jeff Morris

Sorry Ozzy, I acknowledged several posts back that the Channel was a special
situation. I said: "... you sail in an area with particularly heavy commercial
traffic, plus a strong current that often opposes the wind."

I was surprised by one forecast that listed the wave height for most of the
Channel as being under a meter for the next few days - I assumed it would almost
always be rougher than that. BTW, I don't think Donal keeps his boat in the
Channel.

This isn't about what is appropriate for a Channel crossing, or the
Sydney-Hobart race. Donal has declared that all sailboats must always stay
sealed up, regardless of the boat or the situation. It just isn't so.

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:45:36 +0100, "Donal"
scribbled thusly:

I checked out the wave heights for your neighborhood - for the next

several days
it will be 1 foot or less. It sounds pretty rough out there, you better

batten
down your Bendytoy.

Hmmmm! You are beginning to sound like Bobsprit.

Regards

Donal

Pretty obvious he's never seen The Channel let alone read about or
sailed upon it eh Donal.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Peter Wiley

In article , Jeff Morris
wrote:

"Donal" wrote in message
Atlantic Ocean. If I headed East I would hit Cape Finisterre, more or

less. Of
course, the prevailing wind is from the West, so most of the time I'm in

the lee
of a continent. Last Summer we did 20+ miles up or down the coast about

10
times.

Wow! **20** miles, huh? "Up and down the coast", huh?

Sorry if my effort to be honest was lost on you - 20 miles is the shortest
trip
we took, and that's measured from the harbor entrance about 10 miles from our
berth. We also went to Provincetown, about 50 miles and Martha's Vineyard,
around 100+ miles. In a few weeks we'll (hopefully) go to Maine - The first
leg
is about 180 miles 30 miles offshore.

Keep in mind that if Donal tried to go 30 miles offshore, he'd hit
France.

PDW
Peter Wiley

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Scott Vernon wrote:

"Flying Tadpole" wrote

Way way back in our training, we were taught to put out fat fires
in fish & chip shops with an asbestos blanket (just smothered)
as this gave the shop owner some chance of recovering some of the
fat (this is soooo long ago that such places weren't required to
have fire blankets...). If one used the alternative of dry
powder, the powder would ruin the remaining fat, wheras all the
asbestos blanket did was give customers over the next 6 months
asbestosis in their future life.

Bah! A little asbestos never hurt nobody. the pillows in our guest room are
stuffed with it.

Hey, half of Sydney grew up in asbestos houses and it didn't
affect them--look at Oz and Peter Wiley.

Nah, it was a brick house. The garage was asbestos cement sheeting.

Trick we used to do as kida was throw bits of a/c sheeting in the fire.
It'd delaminate with a nice bang and send bits everywhere. Kids are
such a protected species these days.

PDW
Peter Wiley

In article , Thom
Stewart wrote:

Nutsy,

Leaving an unattended fire is a hell of a lot more unseaman like than
sailing with the hatches open!!

If it should happen on MY boat (Galley right across from the head annd
under the companion way) I would use the hand held shower and spray the
fire with water. BUT I would have switched to the inside Steering
Station, which my vessel has and I would have been in attendance.

Pick up the fire blanket, throw it over the fire, stand by with dry
powder extinguisher and BTW on my boat it'd be a large one not one of
those 10 second toys.

Taddy's right.

PDW
Scott Vernon

huh?

"Bobsprit" wrote

Many boats I see no have two or even one.

I can't get anything right.

RB

Bobsprit

huh?