Jeff Morris

Default What If #4-Answer

Certainly a lot have vents - my Nonsuch did. The PDQ doesn't have any, but it
does have 8 large horizontal hatches, plus 8 side hatches. I think the early
boats were short on hatches, so they went around poking holes wherever they
could.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
don't most cruising boats have vents. I have 2 cowl vents.

SV

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Donal" wrote in message

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Wow, your crew must suffer on a hot day. There are lots of boats, and

lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a hatch

open. I
would say that 90% of the time we have a saloon hatch open underway,

weather
permitting. Three of our hatches (2 in the galley, one in the head) have

been
cracked open for all but a few hours in the last 5 years.

IIRC, the Tartan 37 has a hatch just forward of the companionway that

could be
left open in moderate conditions.

Scott Vernon

OzOne wrote in message ...

They're usually for the guys who don't mind sleeping in a wet bunk.

bob's used to it.
..

Flying Tadpole

Scott Vernon wrote:

I believe vents, with proper dorades are more for air circ while the boat is
sitting (in the slip) with all hatches closed.

SV

If it has proper dorades, they should have their own drains so
that the vents are useable at sea with all the hatches closed and
dogged. My bow dorades spit a bit in heavy chop (when the spa
bath is working)

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Scott Vernon

Yes, mine drain out the side, onto the cabin top. The point was, if the
boat had vents then closing the hatch would be futile.

BTW a buddy had someone (husband of woman he was 'seeing') try to set his
truck on fire. Put a cup of gas in the cab, lit it and closed the door.
Took a bit for the cup to melt and spill the gas ( allowed him a getaway)
which then burned the insides of the cab, but only for a few moments. It
suffocated. The fire chief said that if a window had been cracked open, even
1/4'', the truck would have burnt to the ground.

SV

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Scott Vernon wrote:

I believe vents, with proper dorades are more for air circ while the

boat is
sitting (in the slip) with all hatches closed.

SV

If it has proper dorades, they should have their own drains so
that the vents are useable at sea with all the hatches closed and
dogged. My bow dorades spit a bit in heavy chop (when the spa
bath is working)

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera

Flying Tadpole

Scott Vernon wrote:

Yes, mine drain out the side, onto the cabin top. The point was, if the
boat had vents then closing the hatch would be futile.

No it wouldn't! It'd burn that muych faster and the idiot who
left a naked flame untended wouldn't suffer so long before
incineration/drowning. I'm a firm believer in a little kindness.

BTW a buddy had someone (husband of woman he was 'seeing') try to set his
truck on fire. Put a cup of gas in the cab, lit it and closed the door.
Took a bit for the cup to melt and spill the gas ( allowed him a getaway)
which then burned the insides of the cab, but only for a few moments. It
suffocated. The fire chief said that if a window had been cracked open, even
1/4'', the truck would have burnt to the ground.

Way way back in our training, we were taught to put out fat fires
in fish & chip shops with an asbestos blanket (just smothered)
as this gave the shop owner some chance of recovering some of the
fat (this is soooo long ago that such places weren't required to
have fire blankets...). If one used the alternative of dry
powder, the powder would ruin the remaining fat, wheras all the
asbestos blanket did was give customers over the next 6 months
asbestosis in their future life.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Thom Stewart

Nutsy,

Leaving an unattended fire is a hell of a lot more unseaman like than
sailing with the hatches open!!

If it should happen on MY boat (Galley right across from the head annd
under the companion way) I would use the hand held shower and spray the
fire with water. BUT I would have switched to the inside Steering
Station, which my vessel has and I would have been in attendance.

Ole Thom

Bobsprit

Leaving an unattended fire is a hell of a lot more unseaman like than
sailing with the hatches open!!

The plot was that you COULDN'T snuff the fire using conventional means. The
answer given was a last resort.

RB
Thom Stewart

BB,

The Cushions and Overhead normally aren't considered FUEL.

OT