Bobsprit

Default What If #4-Answer

So you pride yourself on your safety measures yet leave hatches open
while sailing?
Silly boy, it'll bite you one day.

Not on a quiet day on the sheltered waters of the LIS it won't!
C'mon, Ozzy. You can open a hatch if conditions allow. Don't be silly.

RB
Bobsprit

ok, let's assume you closed the hatch. Now what?

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld, make
some sort of plan.
Whatever you do, you'll have more time to do it with the hatches closed.

RB
Scott Vernon

"Bob****" wrote ...
So you pride yourself on your safety measures yet leave hatches open
while sailing?
Silly boy, it'll bite you one day.

Not on a quiet day on the sheltered waters of my LIS slip!
C'mon, Ozzy. You can open a hatch if conditions allow. Don't be silly.

RB

Bobsprit

The fire may continue long enough to sink the boat by
melting seacock hoses open underway.

You couldn't put out the fire with your whisker pole?

Apparently it's too short.

RB
Scott Vernon

"Bobsprit" wrote

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld,

and which handheld would I be calling from?

make
some sort of plan.

make a plan???

Jeff Morris

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
seen water once - and that was diving through an 8 foot square wave caused

by 25
knots of wind against a 5 knot current at the exit of a canal.

Cape Cod Canal I presume? Cool place.

Yup - Eastbound, last year. Westbound it happens more often, because the
prevailing SW funnels right up the canal, but the current is a bit less at that
end. This day we had a little "mini Nor'easter" to nail us on the way home. I
had plenty of warning on the radio, including the large cruiser ahead of us
begging the Sandwich Marina for dock space until the tide turned. Although
these waves were nastier than any I had seen on the other end, we soon turned
North and were clear of the current. On the other end of the canal, once you
get into it, there aren't many options but to tough it out for a while.

We took a wave over the bow of the Mac with the forward hatch open, soaked
the v-berth. Learned my lesson.

We were lucky - the time we flooded our berth we had a plastic picnic table
cloth spread out as protection against the cats yacking on the bunk. It
actually contained a few gallons! Its saved us a few times when unexpected
showers caught us off the boat.

Bobsprit

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld,

and which handheld would I be calling from?

Doesn't matter. You bought a cheap one, so water got to it anyway. You probably
also keep your handheld in the cabin where it would also be melting from the
flames.

RB

Scott Vernon

"LoserBobsprit" wrote

and which handheld would I be calling from?

Doesn't matter. You bought a cheap one,

YOU don't know that!

You probably
also keep your handheld in the cabin