Bobsprit

Default What If #4-Answer

IIRC, the Tartan 37 has a hatch just forward of the companionway that could be
left open in moderate conditions.

Yup. My C&C's forward hatch will catch a sheet, but a smaller hatch over the
main cabin is often left open with no problem.

RB
Bobsprit

don't most cruising boats have vents. I have 2 cowl vents.

Cowl vents probably wouldn't do well at feeding a fire, but that's a good
point. I was also thinking of the vents for the engine. Some T37's have
replaced the dorades with Nicro vents as well.
As I said, closing the hatch MIGHT snuff the fire. At the very least it would
buy you time and that's the whole point if you can't fight the fire properly.
Leaving the companionway hatch open will just hasten the flames.

RB
Bobsprit

It may just work....but I'd be looking real hard for another way out.
Even to the point or partially sinking the boat to get water above the
sole to toss on the fire, remembering that you are alone, stupid
enough to only have one fire extinguisher, no fire blanket, no bucket,
no dinghy or raft, and have left a fuel fire un attended.

I like the idea of partially sinking the boat. The "stupid" elements were part
of the question, which obviously dazzled poor Donal.

RB

Jeff Morris

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 17 Jun 2004 23:55:15 GMT, (Bobsprit) scribbled
thusly:

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Oh boy...um......BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

RB

So you pride yourself on your safety measures yet leave hatches open
while sailing?
Silly boy, it'll bite you one day.

This depends a lot on the boat. Claiming that one rule applies to all boats and
all situations doesn't indicate much experience on your part.

On the other hand, I think everyone gets bit by this one at least once. On my
boat the forward hatches are at severe risk of being flooded because its
possible for a wake to wash up on the foredeck - not often, but enough that the
hatches must be dogged when underway. The saloon hatches, however, have only
seen water once - and that was diving through an 8 foot square wave caused by 25
knots of wind against a 5 knot current at the exit of a canal. This was a very
predictable event, for which we had plenty of notice. (It still scared the crap
out of my wife when she saw the ocean over here head!) Also, I have two aft
hatches facing aft. I can't imaging a case where they would be flooded. One of
them, in the shower, hasn't been sealed in all the time I've had the boat.

BTW, here's a Tartan 37 - note the forward hatch wide open, and the aft hatch
seems to be open facing aft.
http://www.mindspring.com/~sailing_fool/280G.JPG

Horvath

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:53:45 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote this crap:

"Donal" wrote in message

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Wow, your crew must suffer on a hot day. There are lots of boats, and lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a hatch open. I
would say that 90% of the time we have a saloon hatch open underway, weather
permitting. Three of our hatches (2 in the galley, one in the head) have been
cracked open for all but a few hours in the last 5 years.

I keep my hatches open so my beer don't get too warm.

Scott Vernon

"Jeff Morris" wrote

This depends a lot on the boat.

and where you are sailing.

On the other hand, I think everyone gets bit by this one at least once.

On my
boat the forward hatches are at severe risk of being flooded because its
possible for a wake to wash up on the foredeck - not often, but enough

that the
hatches must be dogged when underway. The saloon hatches, however, have

only
seen water once - and that was diving through an 8 foot square wave caused

by 25
knots of wind against a 5 knot current at the exit of a canal.

Cape Cod Canal I presume? Cool place.

We took a wave over the bow of the Mac with the forward hatch open, soaked
the v-berth. Learned my lesson.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie