Nav

Default How to service and keep in service a dry powder extinguisher

OzOne wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:19:07 +1200, Nav
scribbled thusly:

What I don't understand is the objection to Halon when cars lose more
refrigerant every day than is used in controlling boat fires. lets face
facts, a fire a sea is a huge threat to life and a few Kg of Halon will
put out a fire much better than powder -especially a fuel fire in a bilge!

Cheers

Aren't the new refrigerants far more environmentally friendly that
Halon?

It's all relative. Is a 50% better refridgerant a suitable replacement?

Cheers

Nav

Fine be damned -they'll have to find mine first!

Cheers

Peter Wiley wrote:

AFAIK there's an exemption for ships. We still have halon for engine
room fires. Just as well too.

PDW

In article , Nav
wrote:

What I don't understand is the objection to Halon when cars lose more
refrigerant every day than is used in controlling boat fires. lets face
facts, a fire a sea is a huge threat to life and a few Kg of Halon will
put out a fire much better than powder -especially a fuel fire in a bilge!

Cheers

Flying Tadpole wrote:

Heh. four years ago we had to clean up 8kg of loose stuff that
got dropped in the shed. COuld hardly use it for servicing
extinguishers once it had collected the spiders, small nail,
stones and other things on shed floors. Damn stuff's like
quickselver (when it's not caked). What impressed me was how much
went straight through the vacuum and out again....

Nav wrote:

And a large vaccuum cleaner for those small fires.

Cheers

Flying Tadpole wrote:

1. Inspect pressure gauge (where fitted). If it's out of the
green, get it professionally serviced anyway (or if a cheapie,
buy a new one). If it's dribbling powder, ditto.
2. Alongside your ear, tilt the extinguished gently. If the
powder is properly free, you should both hear it and feel the
transfer of weight as it literally flows from one end of the
extinguisher to the other.
3. if 2. doesn't work at all, or not much, grab a rubber tyre
mallet or other padded mallet (but NOT a sledgehammer, or
anything that will give a really sharp blow).
4. With the mallet, tap the base of the extinguisher gently until
the dry powder flows as in 2. If it's badly caked, this may take
a lot of taps. AVoid the temptation to beat the sh*t out of it
after the fifteenth tap.
5. Regularly (eg each time you're down at the boat) give it both
a shake and turn upside down lsitening to the powder flow. if it
doesn't, reservice.
6. throw out those teeny extinguishers and get at least a 1.5kg,
in multiples.

wrote:

This is exactly why you should have multiple ABC extinquishers, placed
strategically around the boat. The C.G. minimums are woefully inadequate.
Buy
bigger, and more. Here's a little tip to make sure they are working when
you
need them: When routinely safety checking your boat, remove each
extinguisher

from it's bracket and shake the hell out of it. The main reason for failure in

these extinguishers, besides leakdown, is caking of the powder.

BB

Peter Wiley

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Nav wrote:

What I don't understand is the objection to Halon when cars lose more
refrigerant every day than is used in controlling boat fires. lets face
facts, a fire a sea is a huge threat to life and a few Kg of Halon will
put out a fire much better than powder -especially a fuel fire in a bilge!

Also was the most effective for car fires too--squirt under the
bonnet--slam shut---wait.

Nav, halon extinguishers were an easy target for the ozone layer
protection punchup. Carbon tet through to all the br/cl/F/C
combinations reacts with ozone spectacularly, and as most don't
really think of have experience with fires and fire
extinguishers, a soft option was to outlaw halon extinguishers.
Hardly a murmu. Instant outlawing of fridges and old car
a/c's...wow, wht a noise that would be.

The ozone hole still amuses me, though. I suspect it always was,
and always will be....but then I have professional cause to
mistrust save-the-world-stay-green propaganda, spouted by the
masters of moral violence, and the resultant cynicism and
mistrust can get in the way.

Talking about Greenpeace again? One of my fav memories of those idiots
is from a video they shot down south trying to get in the way of a
Japanese whaler. They violated pretty much every ColReg there is and
had the audacity to claim it was all the Japanese vessel's fault.

They were damn lucky the Japanese skipper didn't just tromp them under
and sink them; must have crossed his mind. What they deserved for such
stupidity. We had some whale observers aboard one of our vessels on one
cruise, one was Greenpeace & showed us the video thinking we'd approve
of their actions. She got ripped to pieces. Why they don't get
prosecuted and the officers have their tickets pulled is a mystery to
me.

None of us think highly of whaling, BTW. It was the lies, reckless
endangerment of human life in a hostile environment and the sheer
contempt for other peoples' rights that got to us. I give them and
their Green Left fellow idiots nothing except my opinion.

PDW
Horvath

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:19:07 +1200, Nav wrote
this crap:

What I don't understand is the objection to Halon when cars lose more
refrigerant every day than is used in controlling boat fires. lets face
facts, a fire a sea is a huge threat to life and a few Kg of Halon will
put out a fire much better than powder -especially a fuel fire in a bilge!

I once asked some environmental asshole why we couldn't use nitrogen
fire suppression systems in a computer room, instead of halon.

N2 is safe, cheap, easy to handle, and environmentally safe. What
could be better? This dumbass answered with a long crappy speech
about nitrous oxides. I exlplained that only a small amout would be
generated, less than from a diesel engine. He said that any amount is
too much. I saw him as a small person.

Flying Tadpole

Horvath wrote:

snip
I once asked some environmental asshole why we couldn't use nitrogen
fire suppression systems in a computer room, instead of halon.

N2 is safe, cheap, easy to handle, and environmentally safe. What
could be better? This dumbass answered with a long crappy speech
about nitrous oxides. I exlplained that only a small amout would be
generated, less than from a diesel engine. He said that any amount is
too much. I saw him as a small person.

The "any is too much" argument, I fear, is so entrenched there's
no getting rid of it in the foreseeable future. SA Government
spokesman, in the newspaper two days ago: (approx.quote) "We all
know that a litre of oil can toally pollute a million litres of
water". Sigh.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera

Donal

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
AFAIK there's an exemption for ships. We still have halon for engine
room fires. Just as well too.

Halon is no longer available for pleasure craft over here.

Regards

Donal

Jonathan Ganz

I don't know who you talked to, but I would agree that he's full of it.
These days, one must be willing to make a trade off. There are a lot
worse things than what would be released from Halon.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com