Scott Vernon

Default What If #4-Answer

most boats in the 30'~36' range have 3 hatchboards. I store mine below, as
do most that I've seen. Your made up scenario is stupid.

SV

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I've read about it several times. Even in a home, fire safety PSA's
say to "close the door" if you can't fight the fire effectivley.

Idiot! Closing the door in your home doesn't take any time!

Ummmm...Donal, I have a single hatchboard. I can slide it in place in less

than
2.5 seconds. Does your Beneteau have a jigsaw puzzle for a hatch or are

you
suffering from OCD?

Good Gravy! Bwahahahahahaha!!!

RB

Bobsprit

most boats in the 30'~36' range have 3 hatchboards. I store mine below, as
do most that I've seen. Your made up scenario is stupid.

Pearson 30: 1 hatchboard
C&C 29, 32, 33: 1 hatchboard
Hunter 40: Two hatchboards
My buddies P39 also had one.
Oday 35...One again!
Many boats I see no have two or even one. Makes things easier.
Poor Scotty Potty! Can't get anything right.

RB
Bobsprit

see?

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

See what? That you're home, while I'm getting some writing done on board?
Yup!
Going sailing tonight!

RB
Donal

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Donal" wrote in message

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Wow, your crew must suffer on a hot day.

On a hot day, the crew are either in the cockpit or sleeping.

You don't prepare meals or eat? Often as not, someone will be down below.

There are lots of boats, and lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a

hatch
open. I
would say that 90% of the time we have a saloon hatch open underway,

weather
permitting. Three of our hatches (2 in the galley, one in the head)

have
been
cracked open for all but a few hours in the last 5 years.

Where do you sail? ...in a river?

Atlantic Ocean. If I headed East I would hit Cape Finisterre, more or

less. Of
course, the prevailing wind is from the West, so most of the time I'm in

the lee
of a continent. Last Summer we did 20+ miles up or down the coast about

10
times.

Wow! **20** miles, huh? "Up and down the coast", huh?

I'm beginning to understand how Bobsprit passes himself off as an
experienced sailor. I've always felt that I was a novice compared to most
of this group. You make me feel that I am an old sea dog.

On two of those days we had conditions that forced us to seal up the
boat - the Cape Cod Canal episode I've mentioned, and the day following

where we
had 25 to 30 knots onshore following 4 days of heavy weather offshore, so

the
chop was 4-5 feet.

4 to 5 feet??? That MUST have been really awful! Your crew didn't panic,
did they

Most of the trips we had small chop on long swells - almost
any boat over 35 feet should stay bone dry.

So you only sail in sheltered waters. .... same as Bob!

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
see?

Yup! You were absolutely correct!

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Bob, unlike you, I have actually experienced a fire on board.

You are giving out very dangerous advice.

No, Donal. You're lying about fighting a fire on board, but I did have to

put
out an alcohol stove fire once.

Tell us about it? I bet that closing the hatches didn't have anything to
do with your survival.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I've read about it several times. Even in a home, fire safety PSA's
say to "close the door" if you can't fight the fire effectivley.

Idiot! Closing the door in your home doesn't take any time!

Ummmm...Donal, I have a single hatchboard. I can slide it in place in less

than
2.5 seconds. Does your Beneteau have a jigsaw puzzle for a hatch or are

you
suffering from OCD?

I have a single hatchboard (unfortunately). When we are underway we store
it in the aft locker. We could launch the liferaft in the same time that it
would take to get the washboard.

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

So you only sail in sheltered waters. .... same as Bob!

Warning!!! Donal actually believes that he's some kind of experienced sailor
over those who sail on lakes, rivers and "protected" waters!
He also sails a Beneteau! He also sails very few vessels, among the lowest
count here!

RB