Flying Tadpole

Default What If #4-Answer

Scott Vernon wrote:

"Flying Tadpole" wrote

Way way back in our training, we were taught to put out fat fires
in fish & chip shops with an asbestos blanket (just smothered)
as this gave the shop owner some chance of recovering some of the
fat (this is soooo long ago that such places weren't required to
have fire blankets...). If one used the alternative of dry
powder, the powder would ruin the remaining fat, wheras all the
asbestos blanket did was give customers over the next 6 months
asbestosis in their future life.

Bah! A little asbestos never hurt nobody. the pillows in our guest room are
stuffed with it.

Hey, half of Sydney grew up in asbestos houses and it didn't
affect them--look at Oz and Peter Wiley.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Scott Vernon

"Flying Tadpole" wrote

Bah! A little asbestos never hurt nobody. the pillows in our guest room

are
stuffed with it.

Hey, half of Sydney grew up in asbestos houses and it didn't
affect them--look at Oz and Peter Wiley.

Yikes! I'll give them to a homeless shelter 1st thing tomorrow.

SV

Bobsprit

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld,

Handheld????? Bwahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Would you care to tell us what the range of your handheld is?

Which one? The VHF or the 2M?

RB
Bobsprit

Handheld????? Bwahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Would you care to tell us what the range of your handheld is?

bob has the absolute best, most powerful, most expensive handheld ever made.

Icom M1v and the HP setting puts out 6.7 watts. I also have a connector to
allow it to be hooked up to my masthead antenna.

RB
Bobsprit

Bob, unlike you, I have actually experienced a fire on board.

You are giving out very dangerous advice.

No, Donal. You're lying about fighting a fire on board, but I did have to put
out an alcohol stove fire once.
Closing the hatch/door is the final defense when a on board fire is out of
comtrol.
Period.

RB

Bobsprit

Your comment about using a handheld VHF summed it all up perfectly.

Poor donal. No imagination to deal with a hypothetical problem.
Who's on first, Donal?

RB
Bobsprit

I've read about it several times. Even in a home, fire safety PSA's
say to "close the door" if you can't fight the fire effectivley.

Idiot! Closing the door in your home doesn't take any time!

Ummmm...Donal, I have a single hatchboard. I can slide it in place in less than
2.5 seconds. Does your Beneteau have a jigsaw puzzle for a hatch or are you
suffering from OCD?

Good Gravy! Bwahahahahahaha!!!

RB
Jeff Morris

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Donal" wrote in message

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Wow, your crew must suffer on a hot day.

On a hot day, the crew are either in the cockpit or sleeping.

You don't prepare meals or eat? Often as not, someone will be down below.

There are lots of boats, and lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a hatch

open. I
would say that 90% of the time we have a saloon hatch open underway,

weather
permitting. Three of our hatches (2 in the galley, one in the head) have

been
cracked open for all but a few hours in the last 5 years.

Where do you sail? ...in a river?

Atlantic Ocean. If I headed East I would hit Cape Finisterre, more or less. Of
course, the prevailing wind is from the West, so most of the time I'm in the lee
of a continent. Last Summer we did 20+ miles up or down the coast about 10
times. On two of those days we had conditions that forced us to seal up the
boat - the Cape Cod Canal episode I've mentioned, and the day following where we
had 25 to 30 knots onshore following 4 days of heavy weather offshore, so the
chop was 4-5 feet. Most of the trips we had small chop on long swells - almost
any boat over 35 feet should stay bone dry.

IIRC, the Tartan 37 has a hatch just forward of the companionway that

could be
left open in moderate conditions.

I wonder how you define "moderate" conditions????

You like to gauge everything by your personal experiance, but you sail in an
area with particualrly heavy commerical traffic, plus a strong current that
often opposes the wind. There are lots of places where one can sail and expect
to stay reasonably dry. And there are lots of boats that have hatches far
enough aft that are dry in most conditions. Many boats have hatches that are
virtually impossible to flood in anything other than severe weather. My Nonsuch
had a large hatch forward which stayed closed, but two small hatches aft, over
the galley and head - there's no reason to dog them down if there's no water on
deck.

Of course if the skipper is so unskilled that he can't recognise when its time
to batten down, he's probably better off just sealing up all the time.

BTW, I've been on a Tartan 37, and I wouldn't sail it with any hatches open
unless I was going up a canal, or a river.

Good for you.

Scott Vernon

"Bobsprit" wrote

No, Donal. You're lying about fighting a fire on board, but I did have

alcohol once.