Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On 10/26/2017 4:14 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:20:37 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/26/2017 2:12 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/26/17 2:07 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 11:57:10 -0400, John H
wrote:

Here are the '10 Least Reliable Cars' from the latest CR reliability
survey. The least of the least
is at the bottom.

Chevrolet Camaro
Mercedes-Benz GLC
Jaguar F-Pace
GMC Acadia
Fiat 500
Ford Focus
Ford Fiesta
Volvo XC90
Cadillac Escalade
Tesla Model X

All of these got 'one out of five' in the predicted reliability
rating, based on the results of the
owner surveys.

Maybe folks are a bit more honest than we might think when it comes
to rating their own cars.

I wonder if some of this is just that a guy who paid $70-100k for a
Cadillac or a Jag is a little less tolerant of a little misalignment
of the door or a squeak behind the dash than a guy with a $20k Versa

Why should the buyer of a new inexpensive car be tolerant of a poorly
assembled vehicle?

Surprised the list of the least reliable cars doesn't include Jeep
vehicles.

Me too. Based on what I've read the current crop of Jeeps have a
terrible reputation for reliability problems and being outdated in
design in general. My daughter can't wait until her lease is up on a
Jeep Liberty she has. I've driven it. It's terrible. Transmission
shudders at slow speeds but she was told it's "normal". My brother also
bought a Jeep Compass a couple of months ago, replacing a 12 year old,
rotted out Dodge Ram pickup. His shutters also at slow speeds, so
perhaps it *is* normal. He's already shopping for a replacement for it

Not much of a sampling but consistent with many of the on-line reviews.

I had problems with my 72 AMC Jeep too but I beat the **** out of it.

Followup: I received a call from my daughter an hour ago asking if I
could give her a ride to her car dealership. She had dropped her Jeep
off for an inspection sticker this morning. She also had a couple of
lights out ... parking light and a running light and they all have to
work to pass inspection.

She didn't hear from the dealership all day and finally called them to
see if it was ready. She was transferred to the service manager who
told her, "There's a problem. The problem with the lights is not the
bulbs or LEDs. There's a problem in the wiring of the vehicle and we
haven't been able to trace it so far." So, they gave her a loaner .. a
new Dodge Charger.

About two months ago her Jeep suddenly started by itself in her driveway
at about 1 am. The lights turned on and the horn started beeping. My
son-in-law heard it, went out and somehow shut it off. Probably related
to the wiring problem.

On 10/26/2017 4:32 PM, John H wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:12:37 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:17:46 -0400, John H
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Could well be. But if there are more misalignments or squeaks in the Cadillac or Jag then the
various Lexus' then the ratings are doing their job.

The CR survey covers about 25 different 'topics' in the auto section, like sound system, navigation,
engine electronics, brakes, transmission, etc. Once a topic is identified, further questions are
asked if the topic was a problem area. I wouldn't think may folks would whine about their
transmission if their problem was a squeak in the dash.

The principle is still there tho. If I have a new Lincoln that is
shifting a little rough, I am complaining. If it is a Yugo, I might
just believe that is how they work.
I do agree Lexus (a premium Toyota) is a well built car but it was the
Japs who taught Detroit about quality. In the 70s and 80s we were
talking about how well Hondas were built and the UAW was still making
jokes about leaving coke bottles in the door.
The only one that surprised me was the Benz. I wonder where the GLC
they tested was made? Finland? Those may be left over commies from the
Trebant factory ;-)

The thing for you and Luddite to do is never look at Consumer Reports.

I can't remember the last time I read Consumer Reports. Do they still
publish a paper version? Once in a while I see something on the
Internet but it wants you to subscribe to view the entire report.

wrote:

[...]

design in general.Â* My daughter can't wait until her lease is up on a
Jeep Liberty she has.Â* I've driven it. It's terrible. Transmission
shudders at slow speeds but she was told it's "normal".Â* My brother also
bought a Jeep Compass a couple of months ago, replacing a 12 year old,
rotted out Dodge Ram pickup. His shutters also at slow speeds, so
perhaps it *is* normal.Â* He's already shopping for a replacement for it

Not much of a sampling but consistent with many of the on-line reviews.

I had problems with my 72 AMC Jeep too but I beat the **** out of it.

Followup:Â*Â* I received a call from my daughter an hour ago asking if I
could give her a ride to her car dealership.Â* She had dropped her Jeep
off for an inspection sticker this morning.Â* She also had a couple of
lights out ... parking light and a running light and they all have to
work to pass inspection.

She didn't hear from the dealership all day and finally called them to
see if it was ready.Â*Â* She was transferred to the service manager who
told her, "There's a problem.Â* The problem with the lights is not the
bulbs or LEDs.Â* There's a problem in the wiring of the vehicle and we
haven't been able to trace it so far."Â*Â* So, they gave her a loaner .. a
new Dodge Charger.

About two months ago her Jeep suddenly started by itself in her driveway
at about 1 am.Â* The lights turned on and the horn started beeping.Â* My
son-in-law heard it, went out and somehow shut it off.Â* Probably related
to the wiring problem.

Wow! Seriously. Sheesh.

wrote:

[...]

driveway at about 1 am.Â* The lights turned on and the horn started
beeping.Â* My son-in-law heard it, went out and somehow shut it off.
Probably related to the wiring problem.

Wow! Seriously. Sheesh.

Hey, it's a Fiat.

wrote:

[...]

They are assembled in Alabama with German engines and transmission among
other parts.

wrote:

[...]

Tell her to drive that Charger like she stole it!

Consumer Reports John H[_2_] General 0 October 20th 17 10:48 AM
Consumer Reports on the Toyota Tacoma... Poquito Loco General 35 June 11th 16 06:09 AM
Feb issue Consumer Reports Meyer[_2_] General 5 February 17th 13 12:58 PM
A Consumer Reports 'freebie'... JohnH[_3_] General 0 November 23rd 08 01:18 PM
Consumer Reports for boats?? MarshallE Cruising 6 January 2nd 06 08:46 PM