Default Consumer Reports on the Toyota Tacoma...

....is hilarious. This is *not* to put down anyone's Tacoma. I just thought Consumer Reports has
gotten a bit humorous in this particular rating. Some comments from the road test:

"...but make no mistake, the Tacoma drives like a primitive, agricultural-era relic.

For all of Toyota's claims that this is an all-new truck, key features seem as though Toyota slept
through the past decade's advances in truck technology and interior design.

Today's modern full-sized trucks feature a quiet cabin, a semblance of handling responsiveness, and
a tolerable ride. But the compact Tacoma has none of that.

Unlike other V6-powered Toyota models, our tested Tacoma never feels quick from a standing start or
when passing -- despite the robust acceleration figures as measured on our track. Fuel economy with
the not-so-smooth six-speed automatic transmission is 19 mpg overall on regular gas, quite good for
a truck and a clear improvement over its predecessor.

Out on the road, the Tacoma's handling is ponderous, and its slow and numb steering never connects
the driver to the front wheels. Clearly clumsy around corners, it never felt unsafe.

The chassis's propensity to jiggle and shudder delivers a Metallica snare-drum beat to your spine.
Wind and engine noise drown out any chance of conversation, even at modest speeds. Braking
performance is subpar.

Inside, it still has a too-high step-in, a too-low driver's seat, and a ceiling that scrapes scalps
of those entering the cabin.

The front seats are flat and uncomfortable, have limited support, and offer only the most basic
adjustments. The rear seat in our crew cab is no better, with hard padding, cramped leg and foot
room, and short cushions -- although it flips up to reveal useful storage bins. Outward visibility
is decent, but the narrow, shallow windows make it less commanding.

Controls are basic and easy to read -- essential when reaching for some of the faraway knobs and
buttons."

"The Tacoma feels unresponsive, with very clumsy handling. It tackles corners reluctantly, requiring
a hefty steering input. Turn-in response is slow and the rubbery steering communicates zero
feedback. Bumpy corners cause the truck to bob and rock.

On the track, the Tacoma was out of its element, but not unsafe. It took a lot of effort to coax the
truck through our avoidance maneuver. In the end, it posted a slow speed and its reluctant responses
sapped driver confidence. That said, it didn't surprise the driver with any erratic behavior."

"The 3.5-liter V6 often feels short on low-end torque and requires prodding of the gas pedal to get
the truck to move smartly. The transmission is slow to jump in with a necessary downshift, and in
wide-open throttle situations it shifts stiffly with an old-fashioned jolt."

"The Tacoma's ride is downright uncomfortable. Constant rubbery jiggle gets under your skin over
time. Any bump, rut, or lump in the road results in an abrupt, jolt to your back and kidneys. Even
on a perfectly smooth highway the Tacoma transmits an underlying jitter."

"Braking isn't one of the Tacoma's strong suits, with long stopping distances in both the wet and
the dry. It also exhibited a lot of nosedive. The Toyota performed more like a half-ton instead of
like other trucks in its segment. Brake pedal modulation seemed to satisfy everyone with decent feel
and feedback."

"Most trucks let you sit up high in the saddle -- not the Tacoma. It feels as if you're sitting
relatively low, with the roof line looming close-by overhead. Tall drivers didn't have enough
headroom. The inability to adjust the seat height is a major omission in a modern vehicle,
especially given the price of higher-trim Tacomas. With a laughably small range of adjustment, the
telescoping steering wheel feels like a cruel joke. At least there is good foot space with a
spacious left foot rest."

"Don't expect much comfort from the Tacoma's front seats. Flat-feeling front seats have unyielding
padding, and short bottom seat cushions reduce thigh support. Adjustments are pretty basic; manual
adjustments are limited to fore/aft, backrest recline, and driver's side lumbar. Almost every modern
vehicle has a height-adjustable driver's seat, but not the Tacoma; many drivers wanted to be able to
adjust seat height, but to no avail. No power adjustments are available either, even on the top-trim
Limited."

And it goes on. But, it's not all bad.

"The Tacoma is the perfect truck for landscapers and contractors. This beast of burden has a
bulletproof reliability track record, a tough-as-nails chassis, and a durable composite*plastic bed.
For off-roading adventures, the capable Tacoma has few peers.

And though the price nears that of discounted full-sized trucks, the compact Tacoma tenaciously
holds its value.

Hence, the Tacoma's cult following."

If I were to buy a small truck, the Tacoma, because of it's reliability, would probably be the one
I'd get - if I could fit in the damn thing!

The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people don't go off roading with them.

True North wrote:
The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people don't go off roading with them.

That's what makes it a truck compared to a...Rav 4.

Alex
True North wrote:
The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Â*Took me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Â*Most people don't go off roading Â*with them.

"That's what makes it a truck compared to a...Rav 4."

D'uh!
Been spending some time in the brother-in-laws F150 and the seats in that are plusher than my Highlander.
Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it has to be uncomfortable.
Now, the old 1980 GMC Sierra Grande converted dump truck I've been operating can be uncomfortable on a rut filled dirt road.

True North wrote:
Alex
True North wrote:
The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people don't go off roading with them.

"That's what makes it a truck compared to a...Rav 4."

D'uh!
Been spending some time in the brother-in-laws F150 and the seats in that are plusher than my Highlander.
Just because it's a truck doesn't mean it has to be uncomfortable.
Now, the old 1980 GMC Sierra Grande converted dump truck I've been operating can be uncomfortable on a rut filled dirt road.

I was referring to your issue with trucks being "jacked up", not the
seats, You actually covered two concerns in your post. I should have
been more specific and, for that, I apologize.

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 15:39:21 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people don't go off roading with them.

Ford seats are notorious for breaking down on the outboard side,
causing you to end up leaning on the door. I chucked the seats in my
Econoline and bought a set of custom chairs that I took with me when I
swapped Econolines. The bench seat in my wife's F150 was OK after 2
decades but the ones in the Explorer went south in a few years. On
that one the top cushion is easily replaceable but, alas the part is
unobtainable. I swapped it with the passenger seat that goes largely
unused so at least you are leaning in instead of out. When my wife
gripes about it I can say "I just wanted you closer to me".

On 6/9/2016 6:39 PM, True North wrote:
The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people don't go off roading with them.

You're right. Most girls use them as a grocery getter.

On 6/10/16 7:06 AM, Justan Olphart wrote:
On 6/9/2016 6:39 PM, True North wrote:
The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took
me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people
don't go off roading with them.

You're right. Most girls use them as a grocery getter.

And once again, you demonstrate your ability to retain the title of
Reigning Asshole of Wrecked Boats. The Ranger was a fine little
utilitarian truck, economical, reliable, and a good size for its
intended purposes.

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 6/10/16 7:06 AM, Justan Olphart wrote:
On 6/9/2016 6:39 PM, True North wrote:
The Ford Ranger got the same reports of low uncomfortable seats. Took
me a while to break-in the hard padding.
I don't know why they have to jack up the truck so much. Most people
don't go off roading with them.

You're right. Most girls use them as a grocery getter.

And once again, you demonstrate your ability to retain the title of
Reigning Asshole of Wrecked Boats. The Ranger was a fine little
utilitarian truck, economical, reliable, and a good size for its
intended purposes.

The problem with the Tacoma these days is the size. Was a great sized
truck, until Toyota up sized both the Tundra and the Tacoma. The older
Tacoma was a fantastic around town, home use, small contractor truck.