MarshallE

Default Consumer Reports for boats??

Hi,

I am trying to learn which used boats to stay clear of and which are high
quality. I am trying to find a boat that can double as a weekender for four
and handle some fishing a few miles out.

Some of the boats that I have been reading about are Wellcraft, Bayliner,
Mako and Grady White. Bayliner seems to always be less expensive...does
this indicate lower quality?

Is there a used boating guide similar to a Consumer reports for cars that
rates boats?

Thanks for help and Happy New Year.

~^ beancounter ~^

used Boston Whaler
(imho)

It would be hard to point you in the right direction without knowing
more about the area you boat in, i.e., inland fresh water vs coastal
salt water, etc. The other important factor is primary use.
Everything is a compromise and if you buy a boat much under 30 ft or so
that also sleeps 4, it will not be particularly well suited for serious
fishing. Serious fishing requires a large open cockpit unencumbered by
a lot of seating, upholstery, carpet, etc. Serious cruising for 4
people requires a decent sized cabin and some creature comforts.
You've got to decide which is more important to you.

Regarding Bayliner, I would not buy one for use in salt water although
you might be happy with light duty inland use. You pretty much get
what you pay for, and boats that can command a higher price do so
because of greater demand and higher percieved quality. One way to
judge durability and quality is to look at boats that are 10 to 15
years old and see how well they've held up over the years. Also, I
always suggest taking a look around and seeing what boats are popular
in your area. There's usually a reason, either in terms of
suitability, strong dealer presence, or both.

Isnt there a version of Practical Sailor for power boats? I think its
a sister publication but I am not familiar with it.

Marc Onrust

MarshallE wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to learn which used boats to stay clear of and which are high
quality. I am trying to find a boat that can double as a weekender for four
and handle some fishing a few miles out.

Some of the boats that I have been reading about are Wellcraft, Bayliner,
Mako and Grady White. Bayliner seems to always be less expensive...does
this indicate lower quality?

Is there a used boating guide similar to a Consumer reports for cars that
rates boats?

Thanks for help and Happy New Year.

Have a look at www.yachtforums.com. It is, as the url indicates, a forum about
yachts. Maybe they also handled your question in the past. Alternatively you
can register and ask the question on the forum yourself.

HTH
Marc

Dell

"MarshallE" wrote in message
Hi,

I am trying to learn which used boats to stay clear of and which are high
quality. I am trying to find a boat that can double as a weekender for

four
and handle some fishing a few miles out.

Some of the boats that I have been reading about are Wellcraft, Bayliner,
Mako and Grady White. Bayliner seems to always be less expensive...does
this indicate lower quality?

Is there a used boating guide similar to a Consumer reports for cars that
rates boats?

Thanks for help and Happy New Year.

Try "Power Boat Reports"
www.powerboat-reports.com not as comprehensive as consumer reprots but quite
useful.

Tamaroak

Powerboat Reports

Capt. Jeff

Diebold CEO resigns after reports of fraud litigation, internal woes [email protected] General 0 December 13th 05 01:58 AM
Cruising reports Thomas Cruising 0 November 30th 05 09:03 PM
Cruising reports Thomas ASA 0 November 30th 05 09:02 PM
river guides or trip reports with google maps Marek \Wayfarer\ Touring 1 November 11th 05 03:50 PM