Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:20:34 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/30/2017 11:08 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 09:44:55 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/29/17 4:19 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

There's a place called "Corvette Mike's" not far from where I live.
I stopped in a couple of month's ago and looked around.Â* I've never
had a Corvette (although I've driven a couple of them) and fell in
love with this one.Â* It's pricey but I seriously thought about making
an offer, being the impulsive buyer I am.

However, the wiser part of whatever I have left for a brain convinced
me to hold off, go home, talk to Mrs.E. and think about it.

Still thinking.Â*Â* :-)

http://corvettemike.com/used-corvettes-for-sale/1966-nassau-blue-l72/

My dad took one of those in on trade back in the day. I remember. It
rode hard enough that you thought your fillings would fall out. He
traded it to a car dealer buddy of his.

Unfortunately, that's my recollection as well.Â* In addition the frame on
the rag tops quaked when ever you hit a pebble in the road.

Further, for the asking price of that '66 'Vette, you could buy a
brand-new 2017 model that probably provides a much better ride and
certainly would be more reliable, with a new-car warranty, *and* you get
a lot of change back, instead of spending $100,000. Or you could buy a
new Cayman and have a much better car.

That is the kind of car that you park in a heated garage and wipe with
a diaper, only taking it out for a short ride to a corvette show now
and then. You do have a chance of making some money on it tho if you
make a good deal buying it, don't scratch it and find a willing buyer
later. At that point it is art, not a car.

My experience has been that buying as an investment is a myth unless
maybe you keep it for 20 years or so and keep it in mint condition. I
didn't make a penny when I sold my collection ... in fact I lost some money.

It's more the interest you have in them as a hobby and whatever
enjoyment you may get occasionally driving an old classic.

Not unlike art.
Profit comes from making good deals on the purchase and the sale along
with more than a little luck in the potential rise in popularity.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2017 8:35 PM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2017 8:22 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/27/17 10:52 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/27/2017 10:17 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation. I just
wish they weren't so boring to drive.

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds. Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way. The Canyon I bought has
a V6 rated at 308 hp. It has an 8 speed transmission that I
really like a lot. I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a
couple of times for kicks. Shifts are quick and positive and the
little truck can scoot right along.

What are you averaging for MPGs? If I drive "rationally," I'm
getting about 23-25 MPG in suburban areas with light traffic and a
few stoplights, and 27-29 MPG on the Interstates if I stay at my
typical 60-65 mph. Six-speed manual tranny. Drove wife's Camry
4-cylinder auto up to Bowie earlier this week, about 30 miles, on
U.S. 301, and averaged 37 MPG for light traffic, but plenty of
traffic lights, driving. That sort of MPG will put a smile on my
face with a nice-sized four-door sedan.

I get 20-22 MPG driving around town (no highway driving) under
similar conditions as you described. Haven't taken a long highway
trip yet, so I don't know what kind of mileage it gets.

The V6 and 8 speed transmission in the 2017 Canyon replaces the V6
and 6 speed it used in previous years. It has a little more
horsepower and torque. It's not a new engine or transmission. It
has been used in the Cadillac SUV for a few years. GMC just decided
to use it in the Canyon, probably to up the towing capacity from 6k
to 7k lbs.

I thought the Canyon used to have an unreliable 5cyl engine.

I just looked it up. It had a 5cyl in the "Gen 1" versions (up to 2012).

The Gen 2 versions (2012 and up) have options of a gas 4 cyl, a diesel
4 cyl and a 3.6L V6. It used the the LFX version of the V6 up to 2016
and switched to the LGZ version in 2017 (the one I have). The LGZ is
designed more for truck use, has a little more horsepower and torque
than the LFX version and has a cylinder deactivation feature that
makes it a V4 in certain situations where you have let off on the
gas. It's not even noticeable and I didn't realize it was doing it
until I happened to notice a little display on the info center. Most
of the time it displays "V6" and I got used to that although I thought
it was strange that it was even displaying "V6" to begin with. Then,
once in a while when slowing down I noticed it said "V4". Thought I
was seeing things at first. There is absolutely no sense or feel when
it switches back and forth and at idle it goes back to V6.

I have a friend up north with a Mercury 125 or 150 two-stroke on his
walleye boat. It has something similar. When you take off it starts
cruising along on two cylinders until it hits a certain point where the
other two kick in. It's *not* a smooth transition. It's like someone
hit the N2O button and it really plants you in your seat.

It seems like the new Canyons are larger than the old version, too. They
look more like a full-size truck and less like a Ranger.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2017 8:41 PM, Alex wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/28/17 11:31 AM, Wayne.B wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If you drive 60 to 65 on the interstates you should be arrested for
obstructing traffic. Here in FL 80 to 85 is more like it. Even in
nanny states like NY people are now doing 70 to 75.

I drive at the posted limit or usually a few mph below it, if it is
70. I would love having you behind me in your car in a place where
you could not pass...Wayne RoadRage...

If I use the full 420 HP on tap I could pass you in the time it takes
you to sneeze.

It's an age and chapter of life thing Alex. I used to get a kick out
of having lots of horsepower and being able to go fast ... fast. Not
anymore. It has lost it's thrill. Now I am much more focused on what
I am doing and what others are doing.

Funny thing is, the small engines manufacturers use today have plenty
of zip if you want to put your foot into the throttle. The 2016
Altima I had for a year had a 4 banger rated at 282 hp. I was really
surprised at how well it performed and handled. Granted, it wasn't an
Audi or a Porsche but it also cost about 20 percent of what the
Porsche I had cost.

I remember that shortly after I sold the Porsche I impulsively bought
a 2009 Ford Mustang "Bullet". I forget what engine it had but it was
a "high performance" version with a 5 speed manual transmission.
Again, it wasn't a Porsche but that damn car was both fast and handled
extremely well. I was sorta blown away because the last Mustang I
ever drove was a 1966 with the 289 V8. There is no comparison. The
newer cars are much, much better.

That is likely the result of the government's requirement for higher
fuel economy. The 4.6L twin turbo in my car is no longer available
unless you buy the AMG. There are few winding roads here to truly enjoy
a high performance car but I do like the available power for towing and
merging onto the expressway in traffic.

On 10/29/2017 3:14 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sort of like my 2014 Volt. Only place I see any real lack of
power is
going over the Grapevine on I5. But that is steep and long.
Very quiet
on battery or gas. Gets 35mpg around town on gas, and as wife
says you
can get a speeding ticket fairly easily. She was going to Walnut
Creek for
lunch and said she looked at Speedometer and was doing 80on the
freeway.
I still miss really powerful cars. I raced a 1964 Vette small
block and
really like the new Corvettes, but I doubt I could get out of one
these
days.

There's a place called "Corvette Mike's" not far from where I
live. I stopped in a couple of month's ago and looked around.
I've never had a Corvette (although I've driven a couple of them)
and fell in love with this one. It's pricey but I seriously
thought about making an offer, being the impulsive buyer I am.

However, the wiser part of whatever I have left for a brain
convinced me to hold off, go home, talk to Mrs.E. and think about it.

Still thinking. :-)

http://corvettemike.com/used-corvettes-for-sale/1966-nassau-blue-l72/

My dad took one of those in on trade back in the day. I remember.
It rode hard enough that you thought your fillings would fall out.
He traded it to a car dealer buddy of his.

Unfortunately, that's my recollection as well. In addition the
frame on the rag tops quaked when ever you hit a pebble in the road.

Further, for the asking price of that '66 'Vette, you could buy a
brand-new 2017 model that probably provides a much better ride and
certainly would be more reliable, with a new-car warranty, *and* you
get a lot of change back, instead of spending $100,000. Or you could
buy a new Cayman and have a much better car.

Have no interest in the newer Vette's. I like the styling of the old
"Stingrays" of the 60's. Not looking for an everyday driver. That's
what the Canyon is for. But, I've been through this before, at one
time owning six "classic" cars from the 60's and one, custom built
1946 Ford street rod. The classic car thing is a nice hobby but my
brain is basically saying, "been there, done that".

They call the newer Corvette's Stingrays. I don't get the connection to
the classic body style. Might just be marketing.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/28/2017 8:22 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/27/17 10:52 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/27/2017 10:17 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation.Â* I just
wish they weren't so boring to drive.Â*

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds.Â* Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way.Â* The Canyon I bought has
a V6 rated at 308 hp.Â* It has an 8 speed transmission that I
really like a lot.Â* I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a
couple of times for kicks.Â* Shifts are quick and positive and the
little truck can scoot right along.

What are you averaging for MPGs? If I drive "rationally," I'm
getting about 23-25 MPG in suburban areas with light traffic and a
few stoplights, and 27-29 MPG on the Interstates if I stay at my
typical 60-65 mph. Six-speed manual tranny. Drove wife's Camry
4-cylinder auto up to Bowie earlier this week, about 30 miles, on
U.S. 301, and averaged 37 MPG for light traffic, but plenty of
traffic lights, driving. That sort of MPG will put a smile on my
face with a nice-sized four-door sedan.Â*

I get 20-22 MPG driving around town (no highway driving) under
similar conditions as you described.Â* Haven't taken a long highway
trip yet, so I don't know what kind of mileage it gets.

The V6 and 8 speed transmission in the 2017 Canyon replaces the V6
and 6 speed it used in previous years.Â* It has a little more
horsepower and torque.Â* It's not a new engine or transmission.Â* It
has been used in the Cadillac SUV for a few years.Â* GMC just decided
to use it in the Canyon, probably to up the towing capacity from 6k
to 7k lbs.

I thought the Canyon used to have an unreliable 5cyl engine.

I just looked it up.Â* It had a 5cyl in the "Gen 1" versions (up to 2012).

The Gen 2 versions (2012 and up) have options of a gas 4 cyl, a diesel
4 cyl and a 3.6L V6.Â* It used the the LFX version of the V6 up to 2016
and switched to the LGZ version in 2017 (the one I have). The LGZ is
designed more for truck use, has a little more horsepower and torque
than the LFX version and has a cylinder deactivation feature that
makes it a V4 in certain situations where you have let off on the
gas.Â* It's not even noticeable and I didn't realize it was doing it
until I happened to notice a little display on the info center.Â* Most
of the time it displays "V6" and I got used to that although I thought
it was strange that it was even displaying "V6" to begin with.Â* Then,
once in a while when slowing down I noticed it said "V4".Â* Thought I
was seeing things at first.Â* There is absolutely no sense or feel when
it switches back and forth and at idle it goes back to V6.

I have a friend up north with a Mercury 125 or 150 two-stroke on his
walleye boat.Â* It has something similar.Â* When you take off it starts
cruising along on two cylinders until it hits a certain point where the
other two kick in.Â* It's *not* a smooth transition.Â* It's like someone
hit the N2O button and it really plants you in your seat.

It seems like the new Canyons are larger than the old version, too. They
look more like a full-size truck and less like a Ranger.

Definitely bigger than a Ranger but smaller than a full sized pickup.
It's considered a "mid-sized", similar in size to the newer Toyota
Tacoma and bigger than the Nissan Frontier. Was told that the full
sized trucks will slowly be phased out other than "work truck" models.

I had one of those Merc outboards on a 16' Boston Whaler. (new hull
style). It ran on 2 cylinders up to about 2,000 RPM and then the other
two kicked in. You're right. It was not a "smooth" transition. If you
weren't holding on it would knock you off your feet when they kicked in.
Didn't like that engine at all.

Consumer Reports John H[_2_] General 0 October 20th 17 10:48 AM
Consumer Reports on the Toyota Tacoma... Poquito Loco General 35 June 11th 16 06:09 AM
Feb issue Consumer Reports Meyer[_2_] General 5 February 17th 13 12:58 PM
A Consumer Reports 'freebie'... JohnH[_3_] General 0 November 23rd 08 01:18 PM
Consumer Reports for boats?? MarshallE Cruising 6 January 2nd 06 08:46 PM