Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:08:14 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/26/2017 1:01 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 12:18:20 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/26/2017 11:57 AM, John H wrote:
Here are the '10 Least Reliable Cars' from the latest CR reliability survey. The least of the least
is at the bottom.

Chevrolet Camaro
Mercedes-Benz GLC
Jaguar F-Pace
GMC Acadia
Fiat 500
Ford Focus
Ford Fiesta
Volvo XC90
Cadillac Escalade
Tesla Model X

All of these got 'one out of five' in the predicted reliability rating, based on the results of the
owner surveys.

Maybe folks are a bit more honest than we might think when it comes to rating their own cars.

Maybe. But I think when people are asked to participate in a survey
those who have had reliability problems are more likely to respond.

Whenever I read or hear such results I remind myself of the millions of
people driving around with no problems but no compulsion to complete a
survey form, positive or negative.

I probably get a request for a survey once a week from someone. Banks,
stores, Amazon, Nissan (ha) and others. I delete them as fast as they
arrive.

===

I think the readers of Consumer Reports might be a little different in
that respect. I've always been happy to rate our vehicles both good
and bad. For the good ones it's a matter of giving credit where
credit is due, and for the bad ones it can help to warn someone else,
and possibly motivate the manufacturer to get their act together.
There's no denying that the overall quality of Japanese cars forced
Detroit to step up their game a notch or two, and Consumer Reports is
one of the ways that the word got out.

So, what happens when you respond to a survey, giving the manufacturer
high grades of satisfaction and then, the next day, you discover it
doesn't have any heat and you spend the next 2 months plus waiting for
them to fix it without success? :-)

Do you really think that Nissan was representative of the rest of them?

What you do is...wait for the next survey. It will ask right off the bat if you still own the
Nissan.

On 10/26/2017 2:12 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/26/17 2:07 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 11:57:10 -0400, John H
wrote:

Here are the '10 Least Reliable Cars' from the latest CR reliability
survey. The least of the least
is at the bottom.

Chevrolet Camaro
Mercedes-Benz GLC
Jaguar F-Pace
GMC Acadia
Fiat 500
Ford Focus
Ford Fiesta
Volvo XC90
Cadillac Escalade
Tesla Model X

All of these got 'one out of five' in the predicted reliability
rating, based on the results of the
owner surveys.

Maybe folks are a bit more honest than we might think when it comes
to rating their own cars.

I wonder if some of this is just that a guy who paid $70-100k for a
Cadillac or a Jag is a little less tolerant of a little misalignment
of the door or a squeak behind the dash than a guy with a $20k Versa

Why should the buyer of a new inexpensive car be tolerant of a poorly
assembled vehicle?

Surprised the list of the least reliable cars doesn't include Jeep
vehicles.

Me too. Based on what I've read the current crop of Jeeps have a
terrible reputation for reliability problems and being outdated in
design in general. My daughter can't wait until her lease is up on a
Jeep Liberty she has. I've driven it. It's terrible. Transmission
shudders at slow speeds but she was told it's "normal". My brother also
bought a Jeep Compass a couple of months ago, replacing a 12 year old,
rotted out Dodge Ram pickup. His shutters also at slow speeds, so
perhaps it *is* normal. He's already shopping for a replacement for it

Not much of a sampling but consistent with many of the on-line reviews.

wrote:

[...]

I get a Nissan survey request weekly. I started to fill out the first
one but stopped halfway through and didn't submit it. After I received
a few more I "unsubscribed" from their mailing list. Didn't work. I
still get them.

Some surveys are probably beneficial, but I get annoyed with the ones
from your bank, asking about your last bank visit experience to cash a
check or make a deposit. And places like Dick's Sporting Goods. Buy
pair of sneakers and they want to know all about your shopping
experience. Most of these surveys are via a third party marketing
companies and I really wonder if they have any benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Could well be. But if there are more misalignments or squeaks in the Cadillac or Jag then the
various Lexus' then the ratings are doing their job.

The CR survey covers about 25 different 'topics' in the auto section, like sound system, navigation,
engine electronics, brakes, transmission, etc. Once a topic is identified, further questions are
asked if the topic was a problem area. I wouldn't think may folks would whine about their
transmission if their problem was a squeak in the dash.

The principle is still there tho. If I have a new Lincoln that is
shifting a little rough, I am complaining. If it is a Yugo, I might
just believe that is how they work.
I do agree Lexus (a premium Toyota) is a well built car but it was the
Japs who taught Detroit about quality. In the 70s and 80s we were
talking about how well Hondas were built and the UAW was still making
jokes about leaving coke bottles in the door.
The only one that surprised me was the Benz. I wonder where the GLC
they tested was made? Finland? Those may be left over commies from the
Trebant factory ;-)

I had problems with my 72 AMC Jeep too but I beat the **** out of it.

wrote:

[...]

The thing for you and Luddite to do is never look at Consumer Reports.

wrote:

[...]

Generally, the Jeeps, Dodges, etc are at the bottom of the CR ratings. The ratings discussed here
are the reliability ratings from surveys. Maybe the Jeep owners don't do surveys, or don't want to
admit problems, or the Jeep is #11 on the list of unreliable cars.

Just pay no attention to Consumer Reports. I find it useful for much more than just ratings of
products.

wrote:

[...]

I'm not talking about the bull****, every day product surveys. Hell, I get a survey request if I
make an appointment for the dentist, and another one when my appointment is over. Yes, most of them
are by a company that sells survey results to the various businesses.

I would venture to say that the twice annually CR survey is a horse of a different color.

wrote:

[...]

The reality is that for most people "quality" is really pretty far
down on the list of what they look into when buying a car.
They look at price, styling, performance, maybe gas mileage and the
doodads available. Then there is the culture. Ford people buy Fords,
Toyota people buy Toyotas etc.

Consumer Reports John H[_2_] General 0 October 20th 17 10:48 AM
Consumer Reports on the Toyota Tacoma... Poquito Loco General 35 June 11th 16 06:09 AM
Feb issue Consumer Reports Meyer[_2_] General 5 February 17th 13 12:58 PM
A Consumer Reports 'freebie'... JohnH[_3_] General 0 November 23rd 08 01:18 PM
Consumer Reports for boats?? MarshallE Cruising 6 January 2nd 06 08:46 PM