Default Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Survey

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:09:58 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:32:58 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

We rent a lot of cars and using them is always an adventure.

My feelings on renting cars is the same as renting bedrooms.

When we are renting a car, we are usually renting a bedroom too. (also
an airplane seat).

I must be anti-social. I shy away from all of those things.

Gotta have our own cooties, eh?

I don't think my wife would stay in a motel room any more.

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 10:38:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 06:12:56 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:54:14 -0400, wrote:

The reality is that for most people "quality" is really pretty far
down on the list of what they look into when buying a car.
They look at price, styling, performance, maybe gas mileage and the
doodads available. Then there is the culture. Ford people buy Fords,
Toyota people buy Toyotas etc.

My wife bought a Toyota for herself because after 15 years with a Toyota
4-Runner, our only expenditures on the latter were for regular service.
We gave the 4Runner to a relative when it had more than 200,000 miles on
it, and it is still going strong. I bought a Toyota Tacoma truck last
year for the same reason...Toyotas have great reputations for
reliability, which is a synonym for "quality."

A guy down the street and a relative in Florida have Audis, and both
owners say the same thing in their own words...too complicated,
over-engineered, very expensive to fix even the simplest failures. But
they are "stylish" cars.

Thanks for confirming what I said ... after your normal negative
comments

Except that it's not completely true. The Audi's of old were problematic, but in the last decade they have climbed to the top of the European ladder of quality. My 2013 has needed exactly one repair... a sticking fuel door latch. Done under warranty.

Audi interiors are considered the best in the business for materials, fit and finish, and ergonomics. Ride and handling dynamics are top notch. The Quattro system is world class. You have to pay to play.

But you're right... some people don't do their homework and look at the cost of ownership. They buy on looks and prestige. Then when they find themselves in over their head they whine and complain. You have to wonder if they even took a test drive and bothered to look at the sticker.

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation. I just wish they weren't so boring to drive.

FWIW, the 2018 Audi A4 is at the top of the CR ratings for luxury compact cars.

wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation. I just wish they weren't so boring to drive.

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds. Nothing boring about that.

wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation. I just wish they weren't so boring to drive.

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds. Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way. The Canyon I bought has a V6
rated at 308 hp. It has an 8 speed transmission that I really like a
lot. I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a couple of times for
kicks. Shifts are quick and positive and the little truck can scoot
right along.

Wrote in message:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:32:58 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

We rent a lot of cars and using them is always an adventure.

My feelings on renting cars is the same as renting bedrooms.

When we are renting a car, we are usually renting a bedroom too. (also
an airplane seat).

I must be anti-social. I shy away from all of those things.

I don't think my wife would stay in a motel room any more.

Not even this one?
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/br...ing%20room.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/br...%20bedroom.jpg

wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation. I just wish they weren't so boring to drive.

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds. Nothing boring about that.

My beat up old Prelude is exciting enough for me. It may handle as
well as my 69 Corvette and it goes plenty fast enough to get a ticket.

wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation. I just wish they weren't so boring to drive.

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds. Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way. The Canyon I bought has a V6
rated at 308 hp. It has an 8 speed transmission that I really like a
lot. I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a couple of times for
kicks. Shifts are quick and positive and the little truck can scoot
right along.

My Edge V6which probably weighs close to 5k got 29.6 mpg on a
recent road trip.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 10/27/17 10:52 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/27/2017 10:17 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

Toyota and Honda builds good, reliable transportation.Â* I just wish
they weren't so boring to drive.Â*

===

The V6 Honda Accord develops about 290 hp and does 0 to 60 in a bit
over 6 seconds.Â* Nothing boring about that.

Engine efficiencies have come a long way.Â* The Canyon I bought has a V6
rated at 308 hp.Â* It has an 8 speed transmission that I really like a
lot.Â* I rarely accelerate hard but have tried it a couple of times for
kicks.Â* Shifts are quick and positive and the little truck can scoot
right along.

What are you averaging for MPGs? If I drive "rationally," I'm getting
about 23-25 MPG in suburban areas with light traffic and a few
stoplights, and 27-29 MPG on the Interstates if I stay at my typical
60-65 mph. Six-speed manual tranny. Drove wife's Camry 4-cylinder auto
up to Bowie earlier this week, about 30 miles, on U.S. 301, and averaged
37 MPG for light traffic, but plenty of traffic lights, driving. That
sort of MPG will put a smile on my face with a nice-sized four-door
sedan.

Wrote in message:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:32:58 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

We rent a lot of cars and using them is always an adventure.

My feelings on renting cars is the same as renting bedrooms.

When we are renting a car, we are usually renting a bedroom too. (also
an airplane seat).

I must be anti-social. I shy away from all of those things.

I don't think my wife would stay in a motel room any more.

Not even this one?
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/br...ing%20room.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/br...%20bedroom.jpg

Maybe...if she brought her own linens or washed the existing ones first! But, only if for some
reason we couldn't take the RV. When we next go to Holland we're thinking of spending a few days in
Iceland. There we'll have to stay in hotel. She'll not like it.

Consumer Reports John H[_2_] General 0 October 20th 17 10:48 AM
Consumer Reports on the Toyota Tacoma... Poquito Loco General 35 June 11th 16 06:09 AM
Feb issue Consumer Reports Meyer[_2_] General 5 February 17th 13 12:58 PM
A Consumer Reports 'freebie'... JohnH[_3_] General 0 November 23rd 08 01:18 PM
Consumer Reports for boats?? MarshallE Cruising 6 January 2nd 06 08:46 PM