rhys

Default Coast Guard Inspections

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:21:03 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Wow - am I ever glad I live in Canada! I've NEVER been stopped or boarded: not
in 40 years of boating on everything from runabouts to skiffs to dinghies to
36-ft sailboats.

(I've also never been asked for my fishing license. Go figure...)

Never been stopped in my 33 foot sailboat in Toronto, have been
stopped twice in the Inner Harbour in my Zodiac by Metro Marine (water
cops, local, but using federal safety regs at hand). They've seemed
faintly disappointed, particularly given my piratical appearance, to
find a proper PFD, bailer, heaving line, flares, signalling device,
handheld VHF, GPS and extra oars, boat hook and engine spares aboard
my 10 foot RIB.

Thank goodness they weren't looking for dope G.

R.

Larry W4CSC

Dave wrote in
:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:49:30 -0000, Larry W4CSC said:

Many of the unconstitutional stops

This from another of what we used to call in the Navy a "sea-lawyer?"

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

It is illegal and unconstitutional to stop you in your car for no reason
other than the cop wants to go on a fishing expedition in your trunk.....

Why is this different in my boat? Why can the cop go on a fishing
expedition in my boat's "trunk" without a constitutional reason for
stopping me in the first place? Why do boaters like Dave become
conditioned to accept this on the water? What's the difference?

Larry W4CSC

Illegal Search and Seizure is illegal search and seizure.....

BTW, for those who wish to peek into our future, 1984 is now available for
download on alt.binaries.movies.divx if you missed it. He had the date
wrong, but not the concept......Keep voting away our constitutional
rights....

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:43:33 -0000, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

Dave wrote in
:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:49:30 -0000, Larry W4CSC said:

Many of the unconstitutional stops

This from another of what we used to call in the Navy a "sea-lawyer?"

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

It is illegal and unconstitutional to stop you in your car for no reason
other than the cop wants to go on a fishing expedition in your trunk.....

Why is this different in my boat? Why can the cop go on a fishing
expedition in my boat's "trunk" without a constitutional reason for
stopping me in the first place? Why do boaters like Dave become
conditioned to accept this on the water? What's the difference?

I guess you should contact a real lawyer to get an official reading,
but briefly, the protection in your car ends at the shore. The USCG
can stop and board any US vessel anywhere, any vessel in US
territorial waters, and many other vessels anywhere by treaty
agreement with their countries of registry.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia

Paul Revere

In article , Gogarty wrote:
In article , says...

Dave wrote in
:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:49:30 -0000, Larry W4CSC said:

Many of the unconstitutional stops

This from another of what we used to call in the Navy a "sea-lawyer?"

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

It is illegal and unconstitutional to stop you in your car for no reason
other than the cop wants to go on a fishing expedition in your trunk.....

Why is this different in my boat? Why can the cop go on a fishing
expedition in my boat's "trunk" without a constitutional reason for
stopping me in the first place? Why do boaters like Dave become
conditioned to accept this on the water? What's the difference?

Larry W4CSC

Illegal Search and Seizure is illegal search and seizure.....

On accounta it's not illegal. The Supreme Court ruled nearly 200 years ago
that vessels are different and may be stopped and searched for any reason or
no reason. At the time, the concern was smuggling and recreational vessels
weren't in mind at all. The Court has had many opportunities to revisit the
issue and has declined to do so. You live-aboards do not have the
Constitutional rights of the rest of us. Of course, since the Patruiot Act
and before, none of us has many rights left.

The phrase "equal protection of the laws" within the 14th Amendment to the
Constitution applies only to prohibiting *States* from subjecting citizens to
unequal protection of the laws.

The federal government is free to treat citizens unequally, for example,
denying the "protection of the laws" enjoyed by citizens residing in land
locked homes to citizens living in homes that float.

But, as has been pointed out, even citizens living in land locked homes are
having their legal protections eroded. Perhaps we will soon achieve "equal
protection of the laws" via the erosion of protections for all citizens.

where to buy ex coast guard or river police Rigid inflatable boats harry palmer General 2 June 5th 04 04:21 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Coast Guard Auxiliary sold Safety Decal? Capt Lou General 8 April 9th 04 05:03 PM
Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security Capt Lou General 88 January 18th 04 11:31 PM