Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Coast Guard Inspections

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:43:33 -0000, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

Dave wrote in
:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:49:30 -0000, Larry W4CSC said:

Many of the unconstitutional stops

This from another of what we used to call in the Navy a "sea-lawyer?"

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

It is illegal and unconstitutional to stop you in your car for no reason
other than the cop wants to go on a fishing expedition in your trunk.....

Why is this different in my boat? Why can the cop go on a fishing
expedition in my boat's "trunk" without a constitutional reason for
stopping me in the first place? Why do boaters like Dave become
conditioned to accept this on the water? What's the difference?

I guess you should contact a real lawyer to get an official reading,
but briefly, the protection in your car ends at the shore. The USCG
can stop and board any US vessel anywhere, any vessel in US
territorial waters, and many other vessels anywhere by treaty
agreement with their countries of registry.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia