Capt Lou

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

When the Coast Guard was transfered into the Department of Homeland Security,
so was the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Now all auxiliarists have to be
fingerprinted, and if they want to volunteer as crew or for other jobs, they
have to pass a security background and criminal check. I know an auxiliarist
friend of mine who had long hair and was told to cut it. Does anyone feel that
the government is going a little overboard for civilian citizen volunteers?
What about the auxiliarist who has been volunteering for the past 15 or 20
years? Is he or she a security threat? Maybe it is time to consider the U.S.
Power Squadron and tell the USCGAUX enough is enough! I hear that 60% of the
auxiliarists in my division will not submit to the fingerprinting. That's a lot
of dues paying members dropping out!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Gould 0738

When the Coast Guard was transfered into the Department of Homeland Security,
so was the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Now all auxiliarists have to be
fingerprinted, and if they want to volunteer as crew or for other jobs,

they
have to pass a security background and criminal check.

I know an auxiliarist
friend of mine who had long hair and was told to cut it. Does anyone feel
that
the government is going a little overboard for civilian citizen volunteers?

If the jobs for which the Auxiliary members are volunteering normally require a
person to pass a background and criminal check, there's not really a problem.
The Homeland Security Dept would want to make sure that a bad actor didn't get
access to places ordinarily secured against public access by volunteering for
the USCG Aux.

I know an auxiliarist
friend of mine who had long hair and was told to cut it.

Unless there are personal grooming standards that an auxiliarist agrees to upon
joining the organization, that's BS.

What were the circumstances of the order to cut hair? By what authority?

What about the auxiliarist who has been volunteering for the past 15 or 20
years? Is he or she a security threat?

Only if a registered Democrat. :-)

Maybe it is time to consider the U.S.
Power Squadron and tell the USCGAUX enough is enough! I hear that 60% of the
auxiliarists in my division will not submit to the fingerprinting.

Does anyone feel that
the government is going a little overboard for civilian citizen volunteers?

Reportedly, 60% of your organization does. That should say something, since
these are the people closest to the situation who can make the most accurate
judgment.

Capt Lou

Agree. But how about doing ordinary safety patrols? I am not talking about
entering restricted channels where military ships or secrets might be, and I am
not talking about entering channels or buildings where nuclear power plants are
located. Just ordinary patrols!

My auxiliarist friend was ordered to cut his hair if he was to attend an
auxiliarist seminar at the Coast Guard Academy. Otherwise, he was told he would
not be welcomed to walk around the campus in uniform with the cadets.

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
JGK

"Capt Lou" wrote in message
When the Coast Guard was transfered into the Department of Homeland

Security,
so was the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Now all auxiliarists have to be

Just remember this is the same CG that let a Cuban Patrol boat tie up in Key
West harbor, the people on board with loaded gun went to a bar and had a few
beers before finding a cop and turning themselves in. Coast Guard didn't
even know they were there.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Lou,
As a member of the AUX, I don't have a problem with background checks.
My past is clean and my background pristine. I haven't even had a
traffic ticket in the last 10 years.

Your background is checked many times a year without you ever knowing
it. Police cars simply type in your tag number and your life's history
comes up. So does your bank, credit card companies, tax collector's
office, and in some cases, sales persons. Believe me, your "private"
stats" are not private at all. Go to the link below, and with little
input info, you can find out anything about anyone.

http://www.800ussearch.com/search/st...ID=1050017173&

As far as fingerprints, no problem! It would not be the first time, and
with bio-metrics coming into their own, likely won't be the last.

Capt. Frank
USCG AUX and damn proud of it.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Capt Lou wrote:

[...]

John Gaquin

Capt Lou wrote:

I know an auxiliarist
friend of mine who had long hair and was told to cut it. Does anyone feel

that
the government is going a little overboard for civilian citizen

volunteers?

No, not in this particular area. I will say that I've never yet heard of an
Auxiliarist being nicked over a haircut. We have Auxiliarists with long
hair, and full, shaggy beard. I'm thinking there may be more details to
that story.

...Now all auxiliarists have to be
fingerprinted, and if they want to volunteer as crew or for other jobs,

they
have to pass a security background and criminal check. ... ...
What about the auxiliarist who has been volunteering for the past 15 or 20
years? Is he or she a security threat?

The role of the Auxiliary has been evolving substantially since about '95 --
long before the precipitating terrorist attacks. The attacks and the
resulting war have, naturally, served to accelerate the process, and the CG
now wants the Aux to play a larger, more involved role. Those Auxiliarists
working directly with the active CG on issues where security may be a
concern [operational and security patrols, watchstanding, comm center,
crewing on CG vessels, etc.] must be properly cleared. Long term members
clearly have been no risk in the past, but all members of the integrated
team must work by the same standards. We get the same scrutiny as active
duty CG.

Maybe it is time to consider the U.S.
Power Squadron and tell the USCGAUX enough is enough! I hear that 60% of

the
auxiliarists in my division will not submit to the fingerprinting. That's

a lot
of dues paying members dropping out!

Maybe so, although 60% sounds suspiciously high to me. Leaving the
Auxiliary has always been an open option for Auxiliarists. There is no
contract, or "term of enlistment". The CG has anticipated in their planning
that a certain number of Auxiliarists will not care to be involved with
background checks and other associated security issues for personal reasons.
Its an unfortunate side-effect of necessary changes. These Auxiliarists
always have the option of directing their efforts to traditional,
non-operational CGAux activities such as teaching Public Education courses
(which I also do), Vessel Safety Checks, etc.

Regards,

John Gaquin
Flot 0502, 1NR

Backyard Renegade

(Capt Lou) wrote in message ...
Agree. But how about doing ordinary safety patrols? I am not talking about
entering restricted channels where military ships or secrets might be, and I am
not talking about entering channels or buildings where nuclear power plants are
located. Just ordinary patrols!

My auxiliarist friend was ordered to cut his hair if he was to attend an
auxiliarist seminar at the Coast Guard Academy. Otherwise, he was told he would
not be welcomed to walk around the campus in uniform with the cadets.

As someone who chose the handicap of a ponytail over 35 years ago, I
say that you have to deal with it. Sounds like he can go to the
seminar, they just want to keep some sort of unifomity to the cadets.
Dad told me at the age of 12 that "if you want to wear your hair long,
there will be folks who will not accept you because of that" (I
decided to grow it anyway of course, and have also cut it several
times over the years when the situation called for it such as a job or
event where it may cause problems, or out of respect for an event or
other situation. Like I say, long hair is a choice you make, and like
all choices, you have to live with the concequences, or cut it off!
The worst thing you can do is cry about it, that just reinforces the
stereotypes.
Sometimes you can't hear em' talkin', other time you can. Those same
old cliches', "is it a woman or a man"? But you always seem
outnumbered, you don't dare make a stand...
Scotty, turn the page...

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hello John,

Most of the Aux members are already in the 60% group. I don't plan any
deck crew or coxwain activities anytime soon, as I have several ruptured
discs. But I am always happy to do what little I can. I am a VE and
working toward an instructor certificate. I also make cupcakes and
cookies for the flotilla meetings.

I am hoping that surgery will correct my back injuries enough to resume
a more active role soon.

Greetings from 07-14-08
http://www.uscgaux.org/~0701408/

Capt. Frank, RO,USCG-A

John Gaquin wrote:
Capt Lou wrote:

[...]

Doug Kanter

"Capt Lou" wrote in message

I know an auxiliarist
friend of mine who had long hair and was told to cut it.

You're talking about the military. They need more people, so their solution
is to turn away people for stupid reasons. People like to be club members.
It helps them deal with the voids in their lives. Anyone is suspect if they
don't wear the hat and the secret decoder ring. Never mind talent.

I've read that when Intel was a young company, new hires used to walk by
Andy Grove's office, peek in, and scurry off to ask older employees about
that weird guy who did nothing but stare out the window for most of the day.
They were told not to bother him, because although he was a bit odd, every
time he spent a day staring out the window, he came up with an idea that
made the company a ****load of money. But, he looked odd. Not like us.