John Gaquin

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

Capt Lou wrote:

I know an auxiliarist
friend of mine who had long hair and was told to cut it. Does anyone feel

that
the government is going a little overboard for civilian citizen

volunteers?

No, not in this particular area. I will say that I've never yet heard of an
Auxiliarist being nicked over a haircut. We have Auxiliarists with long
hair, and full, shaggy beard. I'm thinking there may be more details to
that story.

...Now all auxiliarists have to be
fingerprinted, and if they want to volunteer as crew or for other jobs,

they
have to pass a security background and criminal check. ... ...
What about the auxiliarist who has been volunteering for the past 15 or 20
years? Is he or she a security threat?

The role of the Auxiliary has been evolving substantially since about '95 --
long before the precipitating terrorist attacks. The attacks and the
resulting war have, naturally, served to accelerate the process, and the CG
now wants the Aux to play a larger, more involved role. Those Auxiliarists
working directly with the active CG on issues where security may be a
concern [operational and security patrols, watchstanding, comm center,
crewing on CG vessels, etc.] must be properly cleared. Long term members
clearly have been no risk in the past, but all members of the integrated
team must work by the same standards. We get the same scrutiny as active
duty CG.

Maybe it is time to consider the U.S.
Power Squadron and tell the USCGAUX enough is enough! I hear that 60% of

the
auxiliarists in my division will not submit to the fingerprinting. That's

a lot
of dues paying members dropping out!

Maybe so, although 60% sounds suspiciously high to me. Leaving the
Auxiliary has always been an open option for Auxiliarists. There is no
contract, or "term of enlistment". The CG has anticipated in their planning
that a certain number of Auxiliarists will not care to be involved with
background checks and other associated security issues for personal reasons.
Its an unfortunate side-effect of necessary changes. These Auxiliarists
always have the option of directing their efforts to traditional,
non-operational CGAux activities such as teaching Public Education courses
(which I also do), Vessel Safety Checks, etc.

Regards,

John Gaquin
Flot 0502, 1NR