Mad Dog Dave

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

(UglyDan®©?) wrote in message ...
(Bob)wrote . as to the security check, we auxiliarists DO have
access to secure/secret info. those who think that, because we've
volunteers, we DON'T have access, is kidding himself.

Hey Aux Sparks! You're not doing your shipmates any favors with
statements like that,

and the active duty folks are very happy we are doing this. it's
protection for them, too.

Not any more, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

We've been annoyed several times by power squad and coast guard aux
types who want to come aboard and sniff around our little boat. It is
so bad at some of the places we dock that as soon as we see a fellow
with a clipboard coming our way, we shout NO!
Bob

On 15 Jan 2004 15:42:53 -0800, (Mad
Dog Dave) wrote:

(UglyDan®©?) wrote in message ...
(Bob)wrote . as to the security check, we auxiliarists DO have
access to secure/secret info. those who think that, because we've
volunteers, we DON'T have access, is kidding himself.

Hey Aux Sparks! You're not doing your shipmates any favors with
statements like that,

and the active duty folks are very happy we are doing this. it's
protection for them, too.

Not any more, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

We've been annoyed several times by power squad and coast guard aux
types who want to come aboard and sniff around our little boat. It is
so bad at some of the places we dock that as soon as we see a fellow
with a clipboard coming our way, we shout NO!

No one knows what this means. What is 'sniffing around'. USCG Aux has
no law enforcement authority. We don't 'sniff around' boats since
there's no authority for us to do so.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
Butch Ammon

incidentally, info on the need for secret clearance in the auxiliary
is public info at the DIRAUX website.

Let me back up what wf3h is saying.... I was a Yeoman 2nd Class in the Coast
Guard back in the early/mid 80's and worked for DIRAUX 9th District Eastern
Region in Buffalo, NY. I admired the CG Aux and had a great time with them.
They are a hardworking bunch of volunteers!

They don't have any MLE authority over anyone, but they do assist in some of
the CG Ops centers and help out anywhere they are needed.

Bravo Zulu, USCG Aux. I miss working with you guys!!

Butch Ammon
YN1, USCG (Ret).

John Gaquin

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message newsHxNb.946

Of course it's not a written policy. But, it's a major source of fodder

for
comedians, movie makers and quite a few former soldiers who know that the
military mentality is often centered around nonsensical layers of red tape
and inefficiency.

The "...military mentality...". Exactly what is that? An example of
exactly the kind of bias that some people find oh, so clever and
sophisticated, but aggravates the bejesus out of me. You will find as much
or probably more rigidity and tunnel-vision in *any* large bureaucracy [such
as the Dept. of the Interior, or Dept. HHS, for example] without nearly the
corresponding skill and benefit to our society as a whole. And yet, people
still love to toss out the derogatory lines about the military. Sad,
really.

Doug Kanter

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

[...]

The "mentality" would sound like fiction if I hadn't been hearing about it
from my father since I was old enough to understand it. He spent 8 years in
the Navy beginning in 1941, flying a Grumman TBF Avenger (torpedo bomber).
He and his cohorts used to get flak for using too much small ammo. The
pilots' theory was that a little cannon fire caused Japanese ship side
gunners to get rattled, which bought the TBF Avengers the 30 seconds they
needed to get down nice and low and line up their gifts. The people who kept
track of the ammo didn't understand what it meant to be in warrior mode.

If the "mentality" exists in other government organizations, it's somewhat
less meaningful because it doesn't involve human lives. There's always a
place for people who are only comfortable in church committes, where the
blame for mistakes is diffused. But, it has no place in the military.

UglyDan®©™

Well we all now know who/what the weak link is!
Just because you have access to the system means you have to be a
braggert to the whole world about it?
Most of,and I mean most of the CGA I've known are little more than
Wannabe Coasties, like AUX Wannabe cops,but lack the maturity,
Integrity, and physical capabilities required to be a regular, or even a
reservist for that matter. But not to worry Aux Sparks, You can hold
your head high, because everytime a regular closes the Comm Center door,
You'll never hear the laughter from the other side.
Semper Paratus, or in your case Semper Braggipuss. UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

John Gaquin

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message news:8BGNb.1332

If the "mentality" exists in other government organizations, it's somewhat
less meaningful because it doesn't involve human lives. There's always a
place for people who are only comfortable in church committes, where the
blame for mistakes is diffused. But, it has no place in the military.

Oh, I've heard the stories, too, from my Dad, and lived the stories in my
own experience from 70 to 74, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is
simply human nature at work. That's the whole point -- it isn't a "military
mentality", its just human nature. If you shoot up all the ammo, the guy
whose job it is to hump all the ammo has to work all the more. In the
office, if you take a lot of notes, the office supply person has to work
more to keep your area resupplied with spiral notebooks or floppies or
whatever. People entrenched in a bureaucracy almost always try to steer the
activity in such a way as to minimize their workload. That, of course,
conflicts with any number of other people who are trying to get something
done.