Paul Schilter

Default Coast Guard Inspections

Bruce,
I believe the U.S. Customs can also board without probable cause. I
understand that if you have a trailer boat they can follow you home and then
search the home. Customs has a lot of power.
Paul

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
Gogarty wrote:

You are in a boat you are fair game for LEA, anytime, anyplace.

Actually, the above is not quite correct. You are only "Fair Game"
for the USCG, and not from just any LEA. You may refuse any local,
State, or Federal LEO, to board your vessel without a Warrent. The only
exception, besides USCG, would be a US Marshal. When ever I needed
to board a vessel without the skippers permission (FCC Field Agent)
I had to go get a USCG Officer/NonCom, or the local US Marshal, and use
their authority to conduct my investigation. Only happened a few times
while I was a Fed.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Paul Schilter

Scott,
I'm quite sure you aren't a criminal, at least I'll give you the benefit
of the doubt. :-) So would you mind having your car, boat, home searched?
After all you have nothing to hide. Some people think there is nothing wrong
with this, after all it will catch the criminals. BTW have you exceeded the
speed limit? Well if you did, even if only by one mile per hour, aren't you
now a criminal? I'm old enough to remember a guy in Texas about 30 years ago
getting 10 years in prison for possession of one joint of weed. How big a
threat was he to society? I'd heard an phrase that says, power corrupts,
absolute power corrupts absolutely, I'm just against giving more power to
the government to intrude into our privacy. Now I understand their need to
combat terrorism but it's like a band wagon that a lot of law enforcement
officials want to get on, they look at it as a cart blanch. IMHO
Paul

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
May be, but I have yet to notice any difference in my life. But then, I'm
not a criminal.

SV

"Paul Revere" wrote

A number of rights have been systematically violated in the name of the

"war
on drugs" but because the "war on terror" scares more people, public

support
for systematic violations of rights has more popular support.

Glenn Ashmore

Scott Vernon wrote:
May be, but I have yet to notice any difference in my life. But then, I'm
not a criminal.

SV

I do not believe I am a criminal either but apparently Mr. Ashcroft
feels that someone with my name may be. Even though I am a Delta
Medalion flyer, over the past 6 months I have been pulled out of line by
airport security for "special" search four times. Once accompanied by
two policemen. A ticket agent finally told me that my name is on the
National "No-Fly" list and that I should expect to be watched and
subjected to additional searches any time I fly.

As I understand it, there is no way to find out why I am on the list and
there is no way to get off it.

OTOH, it can have an advantage. In Seattle, because the ticket agent
called the cops before I entered the line for normal security, I
actually made it to the airplane before the other people in my group.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Don W

My wife has had her luggage searched nearly every time she travels on
business. A TSA employee told her that it is probably because someone
else purchased her ticket for her (her employer!).

Having traveled a lot on business in the past, I'm scratching my head
over this one, because every company I've worked for has purchased the
airline tickets for business travel. Are they _really_ searching most
business travelers luggage?

Don W.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I do not believe I am a criminal either but apparently Mr. Ashcroft
feels that someone with my name may be. Even though I am a Delta
Medalion flyer, over the past 6 months I have been pulled out of line by
airport security for "special" search four times. Once accompanied by
two policemen. A ticket agent finally told me that my name is on the
National "No-Fly" list and that I should expect to be watched and
subjected to additional searches any time I fly.

As I understand it, there is no way to find out why I am on the list and
there is no way to get off it.

OTOH, it can have an advantage. In Seattle, because the ticket agent
called the cops before I entered the line for normal security, I
actually made it to the airplane before the other people in my group.

Paul Revere

In article , To wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:47:16 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

I do not believe I am a criminal either but apparently Mr. Ashcroft
feels that someone with my name may be. Even though I am a Delta
Medalion flyer, over the past 6 months I have been pulled out of line by
airport security for "special" search four times. Once accompanied by
two policemen. A ticket agent finally told me that my name is on the
National "No-Fly" list and that I should expect to be watched and
subjected to additional searches any time I fly.

You might want to check the vote on the Patriot Act.

For some odd reason, many people think that John Ashcroft made it up.

Its true.

A majority of Senators and Congressmen from both parties voted for the
Patriot Act, however many of these same people now claim Ashcroft is employing
his new power in ways they never anticipated or intended.

This is what is behind the move to reject renewal of the Act or to at least
amend it.

where to buy ex coast guard or river police Rigid inflatable boats harry palmer General 2 June 5th 04 04:21 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Coast Guard Auxiliary sold Safety Decal? Capt Lou General 8 April 9th 04 05:03 PM
Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security Capt Lou General 88 January 18th 04 10:31 PM