CANDChelp

Default Alien Sail

I'm glad to hear that. Learning it and doing it are two very different things.
You keep
sounding like my 7-year old "I don't need to practice - I already know how!"

Ummmm...a pic of a covered compass in known waters doesn't indicate she doesn't
practice.
Your 7 year old is obviously pretty stupid.

Bwahahahahaha!

RB
Jeff Morris

As I've said, I don't always have a chart on deck in the inner harbor - 3 or 4 miles. And
I can do a fair job of drawing a pilot's chart for the outer harbor from memory - as I'm
sure you could for your home waters.

I keep remembering an incident about 12 years ago in Boston: a club boat, a Soling, was in
the outer harbor in the Fall I think, and ran aground on a spit that uncovers at half
tide - Brewster Spit, for those that know the harbor. They ended up dying of exposure
that night. It turned out they did not have a chart with them.

"Cappy Kicker" Cappy_kicked_all_over_ ASA wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:05:27 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

No. Oz is afraid to use them because they might go yellow on him!

Hell, they'd be worn out in 6 months if I used em every time I cast
off fot a daysail around waters I've been sailing for 45 years!!

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
Good God! Don't tell me you still use paper charts in Oz? Well no wonder!

Paper charts don't work anymore? They don't make batteries for them?

RB

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

CANDChelp

use it when its needed, and its rather unlikely you'll ever go anywhere that
its needed.

Yeah...we don't ever have "weather" here in NY. We depend on lunar winds.

Bwahahahaha! Jeff, you idiot!

RB
CANDChelp

after which you have a cover waiting for
someone to sit on it, then you might as well leave the cover off (unless
you are on a long distance cruise).

Ahhh, the dangers of the unstowed compass cover!!! 2nd only to A4 explosions
and Dolphin attacks!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB
CANDChelp

I've sailed these waters for 45 years plus. If I couldn't 'guess'
within 5 degrees I'd be ****ed off.

Damn! I oinly have 8 years over here. I guess I should ADD a compass!!!

Bwahahaha!!!

RB

CANDChelp

Check your charts, Bob. Hell Gate, at Hallets Point IS a current
swept blind corner.

NOT when we go through. We go at slack, so there's no "sweeping."

RB
CANDChelp

The Brothers is another blind spot

How's that? Clear line of sight to the gate.

RB
Jeff Morris

Doesn't count - it may be better than nothing when you really need it, but how do you
adjust it? BTW, my first radar had remote control, so I could actually use it that way.
It was mounted in the bulkhead behind a hatch, so it was effectively in the cockpit though
weather protected. Yours may be visible by someone on the opposite side of the cockpit,
but it certainly isn't usable by the helmsman.

And while Oz may have a point that it doesn't take constant practice to master a compass,
radar is not something you can learn by playing with it a couple of times. If you had a
new radar, it would at least be self adjusting, but without practice you'll never get a
usable image.

Face it, its a neat toy you'll never master. But it may increase the value of the boat.

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
It really doesn't matter in your case - you moved the radar below so you can't
actually
use it when its needed

It's clearly visible from the cockpit and I rarely sail alone anyway.

Next?

RB

CANDChelp

Yours may be visible by someone on the opposite side of the cockpit,
but it certainly isn't usable by the helmsman.

It's visible if you sit on the port side of the helm, but it was set below with
the idea that a 2nd person would use it.
As I said, I rarely sail alone these days.

RB