Default Sail Modifications

I ordered a new set of sals from Lee Sails last year while my boat was
in transit. Lee said they had the measurements for my boat on file:
however, when the boat arrived, the main sail was about 3 ft short on
the boom and 3 to 4 ft short on the mast.

Since this sail is pretty new and I am not in a position to purchase
new sails at this time, I am wondering if I can have the sail
modified? I think a new panel across the bottom would take care of
the luff, but likely not the foot. So, I am thinking of adding a
panel the length of the leech edge, or possibly the luff edge.

I know this is not the best solution, but current financial situation
dictates no new sails now. Would adding to the sail size affect
performance significantly for cruising? What would be the prefered
method of increasing sail size?

Thanks,

Roger

Dennis Gibbons

Have you contacted Lee Sails and asked for redress?

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net
wrote in message
[...]

Rick & Linda Bernard

I have an Offshore 40. The general sail maker says that it is in the book
but is the wrong boat. I know that now. The good sail makers always
measures; he is the one that told me to watch out. I agree with the others
that Lee sails should fix the problem.

wrote in message
[...]

98stratus

Lee should be able to do something, But Some of the onus is on you. You
should have measured and sent in your measurements. Even among the same
model of boats, there can be substantial differences in the mast
dimensions.

Pierre

t...

wrote in message
[...]

I realize that much of the fault is mine. Boat was in transit and
lost the rig. Boat was stranded in Costa Rica and just did not get
everything ordered correctly. Also, once the sails arrived, we had to
leave as we had run out entry visa and extension. The sail was
therefore used from Costa Rica to Guam.

So, I am somewhat reluctant to ask Lee sails to do much. Also,
shipping to Hong Kong will likely be more than the cost of adding a
panel. Although, maby I will contact Lee and see what theysay. Just
wondering if adding a panel will significantly affect sailing
characteristics or durability.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:05:51 -0400, "98stratus"
wrote:

Lee should be able to do something, But Some of the onus is on you. You
should have measured and sent in your measurements. Even among the same
model of boats, there can be substantial differences in the mast
dimensions.

Pierre

et...

wrote in message
[...]

Doug Dotson

I don;t see how it would affect performance if it is done correctly. Sails
are made of multiple panels anyway, so if the new panel is added using
the same construction as the existing sail it should be OK. The leach,
luff, and foot should be replaced to do it right. That being said, it is
quite a bit of work and materials. Will probably end up costing
you half as much as a new sail. Especially since it is a Lee sail which
are less expensive to start with.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
[...]

rnh17

wrote in message
I ordered a new set of sals from Lee Sails last year while my boat was
in transit. Lee said they had the measurements for my boat on file:
however, when the boat arrived, the main sail was about 3 ft short on
the boom and 3 to 4 ft short on the mast.

They're the experts. If they decided to make the sails based on their file
measurements, and you otherwise gave them correct information, why should
you be responsible?